Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
3 members (Reno Guerra, ArkieJig, buzzdpm), 1,030 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
And even if we are not politically aligned, my hope is that we should still be able to discuss relevant issues calmly, rationally, and open-mindedly. Subject matter such as that presented in this thread does have a direct link to our ponds, our lands, and or lifestyles. We should strive to debate and discuss intelligently.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
T
T
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
And even if we are not politically aligned, my hope is that we should still be able to discuss relevant issues calmly, rationally, and open-mindedly. Subject matter such as that presented in this thread does have a direct link to our ponds, our lands, and or lifestyles. We should strive to debate and discuss intelligently.

With emphasis on intelligence.

I just got a new pond, I made it twice because I aint so bright.
B
B
Originally Posted By: timshufflin
If you are employed by the federal government, let me help you. You can use bidders besides the lowest bidder by using your Federal Acquisition Regulations. I won't get into all the rules of FAR but one very clear rule is that the bidder " MUST be determined to be fully responsive to the needs of the government." Seeing as the feds have bastardized the rest of the law, it should be very easy for even the simplest of government employees to make this rule mean whatever you want.

I am not implying that you are employed as a federal employee, I would never slander anyone that badly. I just wasn't sure if you are a federal employee because your post seemed to be couched in two different directions.

grin

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
On a lighter note, anyone remember my concern over my neighbor's chickens, from earlier in this thread? Here's what they look like today:

Yes, that is cracked corn on the ground. Any yes, now we're feeding them everyday. Turns out they weren't so bad after all.

B
B
You are just plumping them up now so you can eat later! wink

T
T
Originally Posted By: Ben Adducchio
You are just plumping them up now so you can eat later! wink

And I wouldn't blame him!

I just got a new pond, I made it twice because I aint so bright.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Both of you bite your tongues! I'm confident you're both aware of the scenario whereby livestock move over into the "pet" category?

And to be honest, I had forgotten how much simple pleasure could be had just from watching chickens. We had them around home of course, but that was a long time ago. One scored a cicada earlier and it was a free-for-all for a time. Very entertaining.

Naturally they are roosters, driven off by the dominant rooster next door. But maybe a hen will defect one of these days.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
We've gotten several complaints about this thread, FYI, so it's good to see it return to a more civil and pleasant interchange.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

B
B
Never been a firm believer of livestock being a pet. I am working on desensitizing my kids from that line of thinking, we always visit the cow we get at least once and name it prior to its departure to our dinner plates. So far so good, nobody has refused to eat. AT some point we will be getting chickens, some heads of cattle, and potentially a pig or two. I really do not want them getting attached.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
My kids are old enough now we don't have to worry about that issue. But I remember how it was!

When I was growing up we always made pets out of the livestock, but there was never an issue having it for dinner. Guess our stomachs' overruled any emotional attachment. It was always understood that the reason for having that animal in the first place, was for food.

F
F
Both of you bite your tongues! I'm confident you're both aware of the scenario whereby livestock move over into the "pet" category?

And to be honest, I had forgotten how much simple pleasure could be had just from watching chickens. We had them around home of course, but that was a long time ago. One scored a cicada earlier and it was a free-for-all for a time. Very entertaining.

Naturally they are roosters, driven off by the dominant rooster next door. But maybe a hen will defect one of these days.

Yes ,we raise Delaware chickens here and they are comical to say the least.
Wait until you see one catch a mouse and free for all on who gets to eat it whole LOL
Some times when I want a break I just pull up to the chicken compound and sit back and relax . Watch the show.
Keep on throwing the corn and don't worry about age or sex as the crock pot makes em all tender.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: FINnFUR
[quote=sprkplug]Wait until you see one catch a mouse and free for all on who gets to eat it whole LOL

It is even more fun when they catch a small snake -- less than about 20 inches. They play keep-away with it by continually catching and throwing it in the air until it dies of exhaustion. Then they all share in the feast. We let ours, plus our guinea fowl, free range most of the time. They sure keep the ticks down, and no snake in its right mind dares to come close.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
What do you guys feed your chickens? We've been feeding the cracked corn since all we have are roosters, is there a more suitable feed? I don't remember what we fed at home.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
My kids are old enough now we don't have to worry about that issue. But I remember how it was!

When I was growing up we always made pets out of the livestock, but there was never an issue having it for dinner. Guess our stomachs' overruled any emotional attachment. It was always understood that the reason for having that animal in the first place, was for food.

I always got more steak if I reminded my little sisters we were eating "Pete" and "Tilly." smirk Worked like a charm! smirk

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Originally Posted By: FINnFUR
[quote=sprkplug]Wait until you see one catch a mouse and free for all on who gets to eat it whole LOL

It is even more fun when they catch a small snake -- less than about 20 inches. They play keep-away with it by continually catching and throwing it in the air until it dies of exhaustion. Then they all share in the feast. We let ours, plus our guinea fowl, free range most of the time. They sure keep the ticks down, and no snake in its right mind dares to come close.

My dad's outfit in Vietnam had a pet snake (I think boa constrictor). Anyway they would feed it chickens. One day someone screwed up and got a live bird from the market that could evade the snake and even poke it's eyes out. I think he said it was like a road runner. It was quickly pointed out by a native that that was not the bird to have in the cage with it.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/23/15 05:26 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

F
F
What do you guys feed your chickens? We've been feeding the cracked corn since all we have are roosters, is there a more suitable feed? I don't remember what we fed at home.

We feed Rock N Rooster pellets from southern states coop - put you can buy good scratch grains from almost any feed store and Tractor supply also.
Plain corn is low on the nutritional scale. But foraging around they are mostly after bugs .

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Thanks Fin, I figured the corn was somewhat lacking.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Don't ever let your kids and/or grandkids name the catfish.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
"Hello? People that live in the house, we're out here and we're ready for breakfast....hello? Anyone in there?"

Chickens in the yard, fine. Chickens paying me a visit inside the shop, I guess so. Chickens on the porch, staring in the windows, yeah that's not going to work for me. Note to family: Move feeding area further away from house.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
"Hello? People that live in the house, we're out here and we're ready for breakfast....hello? Anyone in there?"

Chickens in the yard, fine. Chickens paying me a visit inside the shop, I guess so. Chickens on the porch, staring in the windows, yeah that's not going to work for me. Note to family: Move feeding area further away from house.

LOL.

I see a little chicken poop on the deck too! grin

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Get the fryer ready - this is ridiculous.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I had to remove the screens from my basement office windows. They are at ground level. Our chickens loved to watch me at the computer. They ruint the screens so they could make more noise pecking on the window.

I was at the neighbors this morning bushogging what was left of his garden and turning his big compost piles with my front-end loader. The compost pile had a family of young moles living in it. My young helper grabbed several of the moles, and we threw them one at a time into my friend's chicken pen. What an incredible spectator sport. Kind of like watching a soccer match of five year olds. When I told my bride, she said in the 40+ years she has known me, she never knew I was so sadistic!

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
B
B
Sprk, they weren't saying "we're out here and we're ready for breakfast." It was "we are out here ready to BE your breakfast!"

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Hold on fellas', I may not remember every detail from my childhood concerning having chickens, but I most certainly do remember plucking them....it ain't happening.

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
According to this week's Illinois Farm Bureau's weekly newspaper, "Farm Week", WOTUS is scheduled to become law this coming Friday.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy