Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (anthropic), 750 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks Woodster, I'd agree with you that i think there are spring(s) in the pond/swamp. I know there are sticklebacks and scarily I saw BH young in the pond a few years back so I'll try using a minnow trap. I'll add the electric aeration and to rid of the pond weeds i might add some grass carp. Does that sound good?

0.7 acre pond stocked 2020, LMB, PS, YP.
F
F
With the grass carp, be sure you know what weeds you have. Grass carp don't eat all types of weeds.

Be sure to do your research on aeration and the proper setup needed. Get help if needed. Lots of knowledgeable people here to guide you thru it. Look up RC51's set up.

Last edited by fish n chips; 08/13/15 08:16 AM.
T
OP Offline
T
If my weeds can be controlled by grass carp and the minnow trap shows what i expect and you guys are ok with everything else i might start very soon.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
years ago, I wanted an aerator for a pond I built that dI'd my hAve electricity near it. My initial thoughts were windmill since the area is pretty open and gets significant wind at times, then I learned that the times I would need aeration the most are the times the windmill was least likely to work. I then thought solar, but the more effective solar powered aeration units were prohibit antlers expensive for me. I have never been to Wisconsin, but I imagine you have a bit of snow up there too so that might be another detergent for solar-powered (solar covered by snow when you need it most). I eventually decided to wait until I could run electricity to it. You are more fortunate than I in that you already have elect close so i'd go that route.

I've been around the block and just ain't scared of nothing except the EPA! That swamp sounds like it could be federally protected wetlands to me and I would be scared to drain the pond (swamp). I've seen dead fish floating before though and i'd also be scared of stocking without more depth so i'd probably sneak a big track hoe in there with a long boom and deepen at least a portion of the pond just for added assurance against a fish kill. I would tell as few people as necessary because you might also have some endangered commorant, bug or something using those waters. ;-)

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Sorry about autocorrect!

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
T
OP Offline
T
Nope the swamp is all ours. I'd prefer to avoid draining because i want to do this all well under $5,000. It would be a good idea but the cost would be to much also it might ruin the food sources that already exist. Thanks for the advise.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: fish n chips
With the grass carp, be sure you know what weeds you have. Grass carp don't eat all types of weeds.

Be sure to do your research on aeration and the proper setup needed. Get help if needed. Lots of knowledgeable people here to guide you thru it. Look up RC51's set up.

Dragon,

You can get a air setup for around 400, to 450 bucks for your size pond. If your willing to do some leg work. PM me if you want I can send you some info.

I was born and raised in Wis. Where abouts are you? I was born in Stevens Point but moved to Eagle River when I was 1 year old. I sure miss the ole homestead sometimes!! And fishing for big ole Musky and NP!! Had a blast doing that as a kid!!

Anyway your stocking choice doesn't sound to bad for your size pond. I might back your LMB down to 40, and I would not put and CC in there but that's just me I can't stand them... They get big and eat everything eventually... Plus if your gonna put HSB in there also I would stick with just that. Remember rule of thumb is 1 main predator in a 1 acre pond or less. So if you go LMB, and HSB as bonus fish your pond may not handle the CC also!! To many meat eaters in to small a place if you know what I mean!

Electric is the way to go if you can for air. Windmills work yes but initial setup if pretty expensive. I run my system for 8 to 10 hours a night for about 10 bucks a month.... give or take a buck. Plus then in the winter you would have peace of mind that you know you can break a hole in that water using a shallow air station in about 3 feet of water to keep things moving!

I am no expert by any means so take this in and what others have said as well and ultimately it's your decision. Good Luck and have fun with it!! smile

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks i think your right about the catfish they might breed too easily I'll feed the fish to keep the HSB growing and to answer your question i live in Manitowoc county.

What do you think about adding perch to the sticking plan?

S
S
I really like minnow traps to check and see how my small fish and recruits are doing. Be advised however that just because you don't catch something in a minnow trap does not mean it is not there.

Some fish are more prone to go into the traps than others. Some will hardly ever go into a minnow trap. I have trapped thousands of FHM with minnow traps, yet lately I hardly ever catch one. Yet I see the fry around the banks near the surface. So what goes into the traps depends on a lot of things.

Set the traps at different depths and different times of day. Check the trap shortly after putting it in the water and at different time intervals like 15 minutes, half hour, over night, etc. Some fish are curious and I have thrown a trap in only to pull it right back out a minute later to put bait in it and have several fish. Yet some fish will go in and find their way back out soon thereafter. FHM I generally catch better in very shallow water near the shore. BG and other sunfish can be had at different depths.

My points are, 1. the minnow trap is a good tool 2.but it likely will not tell you all species in the pond and 3. vary how you use it to get the most diverse results.

If you want larger fish to go in, cut the opening bigger and check the trap at short intervals (because the larger opening allows the fish to escape easier).

Last edited by snrub; 08/14/15 10:12 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
T
OP Offline
T
Ok i tried trapping now before i planted anything and i only caught 1 stickleback

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
yeah minnow traps are weird for me.... I have tons of fish I can see them everywhere and I cant catch a fish in a trap? I even hung a worm on a hook in the middle of the trap and still didn't catch anything... I think my fish are to smart for their own good!! smile

RC

P.S.

Dragon I'm not sure on the perch others here though are so maybe they can help you out on them. I would say it's ok but in actuality they are a predator ,but I don't know enough about them to say yes or no.... sorry

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
F
F
Perch aren't going to do so well in combination with LMB. The LMB will eat all the FHM and small forage that the YP need, and then the LMB will be eating all the YP spawns.

I stocked a few(50) in my pond just for kicks, and they are growing but having a hard time with the LMB. I also have CC, and I think that adds even more pressure on the forage the YP need. I have seen no successful spawns with the YP. On the flip side, I am amazed they are still even there and I'm not complaining.

I have been catching small YP on BG that I am using for bait. They are trying to swallow down a 2-3" BG, which to me is a sign they are desperate for food.

T
OP Offline
T
I guess they might have a tough time but what about GSH for forage

S
S
Sometimes I get the same response. Sometimes you have to move the trap around to another part of the pond. For example, in my tiny pre-sediment pond that is only 20x40 feet, the west end is by far the best place to put traps. For some reason, the small fish like to congregate there. Other places around the bank I don't get much.

It also depends a lot on the concentration of fish. Right now I have boo-coo forage fish in my main pond. There are no predators in my sediment pond so it also has lots of small fish.

If the fish population is more sparse, not as much is likely to show up in traps.

For top water minnows like gambusia, set the trap with the top center right at water level. Then watch half of them fall back into the water through the mesh of the trap because they are so small.

You have to try different depths, different places till you find out where the fish congregate. They have favorite places to hide and to navigate to avoid predators.

Also a 1" opening is too small for any tall type fish like BG over about 2" long. Make the opening bigger and more chances for a wider range of fish to enter. Long slender fish can go through the 1" opening easier. Thus the name "minnow" trap.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ThePondDragon
I guess they might have a tough time but what about GSH for forage

I don't see why you couldn't use GSH! Lot of folks use them...

RC

T
OP Offline
T
Alright then i think my plan is finalised

T
OP Offline
T
Anyone realize that grass carp are illegal in Wisconsin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails