Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
8 members (homewardbound, Justin W, Sunil, DenaTroyer, Freg, Donatello, jludwig, catscratch), 756 guests, and 207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
P
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Are those hogs worthy to butcher? Seems like those two would fill a freezer for the year!

Those were not good for eating.. When boars stink the meat taste like it smells.... Some stink and some don't. I like to eat them when they don't stink. We grind some into burger and mix it with deer.. Good stuff

I have been told that black skinned hogs are very hard to skin. Their hide likes to rip than pull off. Is this true?

I didn't know they stunk. Guess if you can't eat them they must be quite the pests down there.

Cheers Don.

All of these hogs are hard to skin... There ain't any ripping the hide off its using a sharp knife and cut it off trying to leave the fat on if any

P
P
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
I can't imagine cleaning/butchering a hog in that heat. Does that cause any problems? Besides the heat, what about flies and hornets?

When I help friends butcher pigs, we wait for a day when it is around freezing. We scald and scrape them instead of skinning them.

I have not had a problem in the heat, just don't mess around... Get the hide off and I wash down the carcass a lot to remove heat and hair as I clean them .... I leave the guts in and ditch the ribs as there ain't anything to salvage on them , then take the quarter in and wash and out in bag then to the freezer to fast chill it turning it frequently to get even cooling then to the fridge for later. There aren't any flies or wasps at nite to bug ya. Been doing it that way for 20 years and I'm very picky about the quality of the meat. From the ground to fridge in about an hour.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Pat have you ever had to shoot one that was charging you?

Fishing has never been about the fish....

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Pat, that sounds like what the guide did on a hunt in Fl last yr. It was very hot and he said they never get into the guts. He was very careful to avoid the stinger and said that if ya got messin with that it could spoil the whole hog. I BBQ'd the backstraps and they were tough and dry. I boned the rest and added store bought roasts and it made good burger/sausage.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
P
P
Originally Posted By: Zep

Yes I have, and it's an adrenaline rush that is hard to beat! One of my friends says "you crazy" and I guess I have to agree. I get on the ground and stalk them with a pistol and it's a hoot.....

Pat, we tried the golf ball and rope deal to skin a feral hog one time. I thought we were gonna flip over the UTV it was tied to. The skin never budged.

AL

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Yes I have, and it's an adrenaline rush that is hard to beat!

Pat I bet...lol.
I think I will need a gun with a large capacity magazine!
I found these two videos about hogs charging....wow.

(warning: "excited language")

P
P
Yeah it works on deer but hogs not so much... Ripped one off the hanger once... They tough

P
P
Yes I have, and it's an adrenaline rush that is hard to beat!

Pat I bet...lol.
I think I will need a gun with a large capacity magazine!
I found these two videos about hogs charging....wow.

(warning: "excited language")

Change of underwear needed

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Pat, glad ta hear that you're ballzy enough ta walk around with a pistol. It doesn't surprise me a bit.
You and Bill D keep postin things that make me want ta take a road trip.

P
P
Come on down, we can scare ya ifn you want, lots of things to git ya

OP Offline

Yes I have, and it's an adrenaline rush that is hard to beat! One of my friends says "you crazy" and I guess I have to agree. I get on the ground and stalk them with a pistol and it's a hoot.....

Man,I've seen what hogs do to hog dogs......there's a reason they put flak jackets on them....

...when in doubt...set the hook...
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Hell Pat YOU scare me !!!!

P
P
Come on Bob get you some.... You will never forget it....get in there amongst them and that's hunting

Bob,

You can do anything with a couple of Pat's Falstaff's under yer belt!

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
OP Offline
Aw hell...Bob & Bill....drive on down to Oakwood. I'll drive up and meet you'll at Pat's place...we'll make it a foursome!!! I've got a .357 magnum and a .40 Cal. that haven't been warmed up in a couple of years.....

Last edited by stickem'; 08/13/15 10:06 PM.

...when in doubt...set the hook...
P
P
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Bob,

You can do anything with a couple of Pat's Falstaff's under yer belt!

Bill you ain't gett away.... Come on down..... After the hunt you will be begging for a Falstaff

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Darn pigs come and go on my place but are about 90% nocturnal. They really don't do much damage and I don't consider them a problem. Nor do any of my ranching neighbors but I doubt that I could have a garden.

I've only eaten it once but that was from a piglet. No odor and it was OK to eat when cooked over coals. I have learned that if a pig stinks when you walk up on it, don't even try to skin it.

A couple of years ago my, then 14 year old, Grandson shot a huge sow right at dark. He was using my 30-30 and I had his scoped 243. It ran away and my grandson sent me a message. I told him to stay in his popup and that I was coming. It was dark when I got there. We tracked from blood for about 50 yards in some really thick stuff and lost the trail. Then I told him we were calling it off until morning. I figured that we were carrying the wrong weapons for that job. He didn't like that idea one bit. So I asked him the question. Do you know the difference in hunting a wounded hog in the dark vs golf, football, tennis, or baseball? The answer? Those sports required only one ball and I am a castrado(Spanish). We found it the next morning and my scales bottomed out. They only go to 200 pounds and I now have bigger scales.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 08/14/15 04:23 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
T
Hay Pat, like u say, it can be a good time and good eating if selective in the ones u eat. We get a few on the ground some yr's and other yr's we don't see any. I learned that these hogs can carry a disease which can be transmitted to the hunter when cleaning, so be sure u guys wear surgical or protective gloves when cleaning. After learning of the disease a few yr's back, we now keep a box of the gloves in the side by side. I can't remember the name of the disease but I can't remember a lot of things. smile

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
P
P
We are now entering into game management through the state for deer. We are feeding high pro. Feed that is more costly than corn. They eat 500lbs in 4 days. As dry as it is there isn't much forage for the deer right now so they are hitting the feed hard. I don't mind the pigs eating some of it but when those big boars show up.... No good to eat so we thin them out a bit to leave some for the deer

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Pat, Bill and Charlie, you boys are a bit younger than I am. Therefore I will try ta explain that at a certain point in a mans life the phrase "hold my beer and watch this" brings a hint that something BAD is about to happen. Don't matter what kind of beer it is. You boys go ahead and just have a fun little threesome. I do appreciate the invitation tho.
Pat you have some good defense but I'm thinkin that given his screen name being Stickem I visualize him with a large sharpened stick tottering back and forth jabbin his stick at a big mean hog. Hold his beer and watch that.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
A couple of years ago my, then 14 year old, Grandson shot a huge sow right at dark. It ran away and my grandson sent me a message. I told him to stay in his popup and that I was coming. It was dark when I got there. We tracked from blood for about 50 yards in some really thick stuff and lost the trail. Then I told him we were calling it off until morning.

Yep Dave i would not want to be wandering around in
the woods at night looking for a large wounded angry hog.
Maybe with dogs, but probably not at all.

When these things charge, they come at ya like a freight train!

P
P
Freight train with a mission

P
P
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
Pat, Bill and Charlie, you boys are a bit younger than I am. Therefore I will try ta explain that at a certain point in a mans life the phrase "hold my beer and watch this" brings a hint that something BAD is about to happen. Don't matter what kind of beer it is. You boys go ahead and just have a fun little threesome. I do appreciate the invitation tho.
Pat you have some good defense but I'm thinkin that given his screen name being Stickem I visualize him with a large sharpened stick tottering back and forth jabbin his stick at a big mean hog. Hold his beer and watch that.

Bob and I thought you would be the one to go on an adventure like a hog hunt , Charlie does carry a big stick(Stickem)

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Shipping 7 big frozen bluegills to a taxidermist/saltwater fishing guide in Hewitt, Texas. Styrofoam box and lid in a cardbard box but UPS wants $200.00 to ship it overnight! crazy That's only $100.00 less than the price of the fish! Going to ship them 2nd day air and hope for the best. Still $88.00 for an 11 lb. box that is 15 X 16 X 10 1/2 inches!

Will drop off at the nearest UPS distribution plant on a Monday evening and it's supposed to arrive Wednesday morning.

I know it's hot down there! Fingers crossed! whistle

Here are some of the 26 1 lb. to 1lb. 8 1/2 oz. bluegill I kept to sell out of the male only bluegill pond. The picture doesn't do them justice. The cooler is about 4 feet long.

I missed more of them as the 180 ' by 12' seine hung up a couple of times and I had to go out in a boat and lift it up. One hang up was a couple of boulders and not sure what the other one is. Will be doing some exploring on the bottom via snorkel and mask to find out.

Also took out 22 fourteen inch give or take post spawn yellow perch and moved them to a holding pond until next spring. Will seine them out just before they drop their eggs. The taxidermists want them bulging with eggs.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/14/15 10:12 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images