Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,115
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,419
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
3 members (esshup, Bobbss, teehjaeh57), 728 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
OP Offline
Pat W. has been beating the heat up in Oakwood, TX here lately...he hung up his rod & reels for a few days and went to killing hogs at night til the weather cools some. He killed this nice one this past Monday night.

Then, he killed this rascal last night.

Pat even killed what appears to be a near-sighted Beaver that's been chomping on all his young trees.

I asked Pat if he was planning on eatin' some Beaver....but he never did really say...

Last edited by stickem'; 08/12/15 02:41 PM.

...when in doubt...set the hook...
P
P
Maybe.......

T
T
LOL......Funny!!!

I shot one hog the other night and missed two others.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: Tbar

Tbar what time at night do those rascals normally come out?
did you bait an area?
are you using a night vision scope?
were you sitting in a blind?

sorry for all the questions but we are in close proximity
and I will start hunting a few of them this Fall.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

P
P
It's more challenging at nite when you have to poor boy it like I do

T
T
Originally Posted By: Zep

Tbar what time at night do those rascals normally come out?
did you bait an area?
are you using a night vision scope?
were you sitting in a blind?

sorry for all the questions but we are in close proximity
and I will start hunting a few of them this Fall.

They come into my feeder at night....random hours. I have a motion detector on the side of the feeder and when the hogs get close it sounds a bell in the house. I have a little carbine set up with an Eotech holographic sight and PVS14 night vision behind it. I make stealthy stalk 200 yards out to the feeder and take a shot from 50-75 yards.

P
P
No high tech here... Sit in a stand with a hog light and wait.... They haven't been geting under the lite so it's a guessing game . All I use is a Leopold 3-1/2-10X 40mm ... During a full moon I pick them off out in the pasture no prob... Below the ear and it's done

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Pat are you up in a tree stand?

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
I have a motion detector on the side of the feeder and when the hogs get close it sounds a bell in the house.

Hey that sounds pretty cool.
I wish silencers were more accessible so we could kill more in a single setting....
don't most of the pigs scatter as soon as one is shot?

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Are those hogs worthy to butcher? Seems like those two would fill a freezer for the year!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

P
P
Around here if you shoot into a group the rest will never return

P
P
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Are those hogs worthy to butcher? Seems like those two would fill a freezer for the year!

Those were not good for eating.. When boars stink the meat taste like it smells.... Some stink and some don't. I like to eat them when they don't stink. We grind some into burger and mix it with deer.. Good stuff

P
P

Box stand or off the porch.
Got my eye on one that has been cut and is reall fat!

Last edited by Pat Williamson; 08/12/15 10:06 PM.
D
D
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson

Those were not good for eating.. When boars stink the meat taste like it smells.... Some stink and some don't. I like to eat them when they don't stink. We grind some into burger and mix it with deer.. Good stuff

I have been told that black skinned hogs are very hard to skin. Their hide likes to rip than pull off. Is this true?

I didn't know they stunk. Guess if you can't eat them they must be quite the pests down there.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
Navy beans slow cooked with a nice smoked feral hog ham is one of our favorites. With jalapeno/cheese cornbread of course.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 08/13/15 07:48 AM.

AL

T
T
Al, The Navy bean meal u speak of is right down my ally, but there would be no hunting after that meal because all the animals in the forest would take note of the awful smell coming from my blind, and no other human would stay in the blind with me and would take off after the first blast of methane smile But wild hog can be way better eating over store bought pork.

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
OP Offline

Box stand or off the porch.
Got my eye on one that has been cut and is reall fat!

I believe you mean this one, right???

OP Offline
I have a friend of mine that lives up south of Huntsville, TX....when he knocks a couple of big stinky boars down....he calls the State Prison there at Huntsville and brings them in for the kitchen there. I'm not sure how they prepare them for the prisoners, but they butcher them up and serve fresh pork there any way that they can get it. If they know how to knock the smell out of the meat.....my hats off to them. Years ago, back in the mid-80's I was invited to a big cook out at a farm in Iowa, LA (North of Lake Charles). When I walked up, I could smell the musk through the BBQ smoke. I tried a piece out of politeness....never again. It tasted like pork dipped in skunk water. I've knocked some boars down here in east Texas up to 175lbs. with no problems....but I cut the stones out of them as quickly as I can after they hit the ground. Trapped hogs are worse because they are pissed off anyway and have the musk glands engaged. If anyone out there knows of some way to soak the pork to knock the musk out of the meat.......I'm all ears.

Last edited by stickem'; 08/13/15 08:44 AM.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD

I have been told that black skinned hogs are very hard to skin. Their hide likes to rip than pull off. Is this true?

I didn't know they stunk. Guess if you can't eat them they must be quite the pests down there.

Cheers Don.

Don,
Once they are hanging with the skinning process started, you can take a box blade cutter and cut through the hide in 3-4" wide strips long ways (vertically) down towards the head. Then, take a pair of channel lock pliers and pull each strip off one at a time. It works very well on the thick skinned fat ones as well. Some are tougher than others...feral hogs with Black Russian genes in them seem to be tougher to clean, but the Piney Wood Rooters seem to be a little less of a chore.
Charlie

Last edited by stickem'; 08/13/15 11:28 AM.

Originally Posted By: TGW1
Al, The Navy bean meal u speak of is right down my ally, but there would be no hunting after that meal because all the animals in the forest would take note of the awful smell coming from my blind, and no other human would stay in the blind with me and would take off after the first blast of methane smile But wild hog can be way better eating over store bought pork.

Tracy
laugh

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I can't imagine cleaning/butchering a hog in that heat. Does that cause any problems? Besides the heat, what about flies and hornets?

When I help friends butcher pigs, we wait for a day when it is around freezing. We scald and scrape them instead of skinning them.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Originally Posted By: stickem'
I have a friend of mine that lives up south of Huntsville, TX....when he knocks a couple of big stinky boars down....he calls the State Prison there at Huntsville and brings them in for the kitchen there. I'm not sure how they prepare them for the prisoners, but they butcher them up and serve fresh pork there any way that they can get it. If they know how to knock the smell out of the meat.....my hats off to them. Years ago, back in the mid-80's I was invited to a big cook out at a farm in Iowa, LA (North of Lake Charles). When I walked up, I could smell the musk through the BBQ smoke. I tried a piece out of politeness....never again. It tasted like pork dipped in skunk water. I've knocked some boars down here in east Texas up to 175lbs. with no problems....but I cut the stones out of them as quickly as I can after they hit the ground. Trapped hogs are worse because they are pissed off anyway and have the musk glands engaged. If anyone out there knows of some way to soak the pork to knock the musk out of the meat.......I'm all ears.

Charlie,

My wife bought some "inexpensive" pork at a smaller ethnic grocery store a few years back. I could smell it as soon as she took the plastic off. Definitely an old boar. My cure for the smell was easy.....buried it deep behind the garden!!

Last edited by Bill D.; 08/13/15 09:16 AM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
I can't imagine cleaning/butchering a hog in that heat. Does that cause any problems? Besides the heat, what about flies and hornets?

When I help friends butcher pigs, we wait for a day when it is around freezing. We scald and scrape them instead of skinning them.

Ken,
I have had as many as (13) live feral hogs (penned) in a cattle trailer in the month of August. We would have to segregate one at a time to a section of the cattle trailer, shoot'em between the eye and the ear with a .38 pistol. Quickly as possible, cut the stones out of the li'l boars, quickly hang them, and start the skinning and slaughtering process. A water source is critical in that kind of heat. Once you have the head removed and all the entrails removed, rinsed off with a water hose, we have ice chests full of ice waiting and quickly go to the box with them and cover with ice. I've killed and slaughtered as many as 5) consecutively in a morning / mid-day timeline. The key is to shoot them and deal with them one at a time. It does make the other hogs in cattle trailer a little skittish after you shoot the first one...and they get worse after each shot. We had a huge sow started dropping piglets during this process and she was stomping them to death there in the trailer for whatever reason. It was not a pleasant thing to watch...we never had a problem with flies or anything else, but the key was to get them on ice one at a time as quickly as possible. I would love to have scalded, scraped, and salvaged the skins, for cracklins, but that is something that you cannot afford to do in the summer months...
Charlie

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Bill D.

Charlie,

My wife bought some "inexpensive" pork at a smaller ethnic grocery store a few years back. I could smell it as soon as she took the plastic off. Definitely an old boar. My cure for the smell was easy.....buried it deep behind the garden!!

Bill,
That's a shame...Yes, It's kind of scary that you would find that quality of pork in a store or market. I would be worried about Trichinosis (roundworms) as well on stuff like that. As a rule, we (personally) also (as a precaution) freeze the feral pork before we ever eat any of it. But there are 2) strains of Trichinosis and freezing only kills one strain...oddly enough the other strain can survive long term freezing. We just make sure its well cooked. I've read where diet can affect the quality of taste in pork as well...but, most of the hogs in SE Texas where I hunt are corn fed (feeders). The deer don't have a chance.
Charlie

Last edited by stickem'; 08/13/15 12:25 PM.

T
T
One I shot last week.....

A couple of small ones I shot earlier this year......

A number of years ago I helped some friends capture a few, hauled them to his house, built an enclosure fatten them on corn and butchered them. It was some of the best pulled pork I ever had.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails