Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,084
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE, Requa, Jason D, Jared015), 756 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
P
Cecil you ever ship with dry ice? Or is that illegal

It is legal to ship with dry ice, it just needs to be declared.

We have it on nearly every flight.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Pat,

Seems I checked into it quite a while back and it was O.K. if it was under a certain weight. But it's been a while.

It's not available in my area and increases shipping costs due to the weight. For those who might not be aware it's a lot heavier than water ice for the volume. May have to reresearch it.

I was told ice cream gets delivered to goroceries stores packed with it so something else to check.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/15/15 05:44 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: highflyer
It is legal to ship with dry ice, it just needs to be declared.

We have it on nearly every flight.

Yep you beat my post!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
B
All hogs stink...its the ones you can hardly breath near without gagging that you leave for the coyotes. Shoot them between the shoulder and ear (in the neck) and they normally are DRT. I don't normally track them in the dark. If they run, they are coyote food.

And i have never been charged...but where I hunt there is a lot of pressure on them (very close to 100% nocturnal and very skittish). I have had them next to the popup blind though...nothing between me and them other than a piece of fabric.

Sean

P
P
Originally Posted By: Boburk
All hogs stink...its the ones you can hardly breath near without gagging that you leave for the coyotes. Shoot them between the shoulder and ear (in the neck) and they normally are DRT. I don't normally track them in the dark. If they run, they are coyote food.

And i have never been charged...but where I hunt there is a lot of pressure on them (very close to 100% nocturnal and very skittish). I have had them next to the popup blind though...nothing between me and them other than a piece of fabric.

Sean

Most around here don't have any smell at all. Breeding boars are rank smelling and if you boiled them in perfume it wouldn't help. It's surprising how many don't smell. Have had sows stink worse than boars.... To the coyotes and buzzards with those. Haven't had the smell test fail yet......

Cecil,

Grocery stores around here sell dry ice. Its cheep. It does add some to the shipping weight, but the "insurance" it provides might be worth it.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
B
B
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson

Most around here don't have any smell at all. Breeding boars are rank smelling and if you boiled them in perfume it wouldn't help. It's surprising how many don't smell. Have had sows stink worse than boars.... To the coyotes and buzzards with those. Haven't had the smell test fail yet......

I don't think I have had a sow stink bad enough to leave behind yet...but most i have shot seem to be boars. I had 30-40 in front of me one time....shot two of them, both boars. Just my luck I guess.

There are times I can smell the rank boars nearby just riding through the woods. Smell like old piss (only way I can describe it). People think I am nuts when I say a pig is nearby.

Sean

Last edited by Boburk; 08/16/15 07:05 PM.
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
Pat, Bill and Charlie, you boys are a bit younger than I am. Therefore I will try ta explain that at a certain point in a mans life the phrase "hold my beer and watch this" brings a hint that something BAD is about to happen. Don't matter what kind of beer it is. You boys go ahead and just have a fun little threesome. I do appreciate the invitation tho.
Pat you have some good defense but I'm thinkin that given his screen name being Stickem I visualize him with a large sharpened stick tottering back and forth jabbin his stick at a big mean hog. Hold his beer and watch that.

Bob-O...I'm what you would refer to as Oilfield Trash...I've been working in the oil patch industry (domestically and internationally) for the past 36 years. Our motto has always been, "when you come across something you cant handle, you grab a bigger piece of iron"...(or stick, in this case)...Ha!

OFT Moniker...No disrespect to anyone who ever has, or is, working in the energy sector....

Last edited by stickem'; 08/16/15 08:19 PM.

...when in doubt...set the hook...
OP Offline
This is the way that I like to do it. When I knock a hog down, I like to cut them long ways down the backbone (freezer space permitting).....this gas smoker is 3' long x 2' wide x 4.5' tall, which will give you a size reference to this li'l hog. I heat with propane and smoke with hickory sawdust over a stainless steel plate. This li'l boar is about 2 1/2 hours into the process. He was basted with sauce and double wrapped in aluminum foil and left another 2 1/2 - 3 hrs at ~215-225 degrees. His hips and shoulder joints broke through the meat when we moved him off of the pit to serve.
Charlie

Last edited by stickem'; 08/16/15 07:37 PM.

B
B
Nice....gas smoker must be nice.

Sean

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I'm what you'de refer to as oilfield trash made me laugh out loud. I gotta appreciate a dude who can crack on themselves as well as they do others. Poke on!!!

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Sean, I've smelled that odor a couple of times. Took me awhile to identify it and there's no sense in messing with the meat. It's about like trying to cook an old goat.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
OP Offline

Sean

Boburk,
Thanks...It was originally an old stainless steel drilling console that we used on the rigs offshore. The company that I was working for had new ones manufactured and was sending (9) of these to the junk pile...so I asked for 3 of them. Gutted them out, drilled a few holes, added the SS expanded metal grate, added the burner, thermometers, and burned it out thoroughly about 450 degrees for about 3 hours the first time that I fired it up. The first smoking was 140lbs or venison / pork sausage and threw in 10lbs of chicken quarters on the top rack. The expanded metal is on a hinge and can be swung down when hanging and smoking sausage. Now with the regulator on the propane bottle set, I can just fire it up, set a pan of hickory (or red oak) sawdust on top of the plate, put sausage (or whatever) on, and forget about it for a designated period of time.
Charlie

Last edited by stickem'; 08/17/15 05:26 AM.

B
B
The "forget about it" part is what I like about the idea of a gas smoker. When doing it with charcoal and mesquite, it is a half day of checking and adjusting every 30 minutes. I do 2 hours open air, then wrap it with some beer and spices and do about another 6 hours.

Sean

T
T
Originally Posted By: stickem'

Sean

Boburk,
Thanks...It was originally an old stainless steel drilling console that we used on the rigs offshore. The company that I was working for had new ones manufactured and was sending (9) of these to the junk pile...so I asked for 3 of them. Gutted them out, drilled a few holes, added the SS expanded metal grate, added the burner, thermometers, and burned it out thoroughly about 450 degrees for about 3 hours the first time that I fired it up. The first smoking was 140lbs or venison / pork sausage and threw in 10lbs of chicken quarters on the top rack. The expanded metal is on a hinge and can be swung down when hanging and smoking sausage. Now with the regulator on the propane bottle set, I can just fire it up, set a pan of hickory (or red oak) sawdust on top of the plate, put sausage (or whatever) on, and forget about it for a designated period of time.
Charlie

Very nice......good job!!!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
If you guys need "help" killin a hog or three, call me and I'll load a 30.06 and deep freeze in the back of my truck, then head southwest!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman
If you guys need "help" killin a hog or three, call me and I'll load a 30.06 and deep freeze in the back of my truck, then head southwest!

They just need to know not to have any exposed PVC on the pond! crazy grin

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Rex, if they take ya up on that, I'm hitchin along.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
P
P

Wish you could pattern them critters then we could set up and take a mess of them.. It's just a hit or miss thing most of the time . If the hogs ain't bittin then we could fish

Last edited by Pat Williamson; 08/17/15 09:37 PM.
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Hogs showed up on my place 10 to 15 years ago. They are 90% nocturnal. To date, I think we have shot 4 or 5.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
T
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Hogs showed up on my place 10 to 15 years ago. They are 90% nocturnal. To date, I think we have shot 4 or 5.

Same here Dave, always at night. FWIW - I had large sounder groups hitting my feeders up until February.....I got into them a couple of times then they disappeared. Only saw two large boars off and on on the game camera up until recently. Finally had a small sounder group come in last week.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I know how to shoot in the dark... wink

Geez Cecil! Pictures of TJ's PVC was sent to you for replicating over 4 years ago! How long does it take for you to paint all that white?!?!?!?! Need me to check your aquaponics plumbing for adequate flow? (or hold it hostage?) grin

Last edited by Rainman; 08/17/15 10:01 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I know how to shoot in the dark... wink

Geez Cecil! Pictures of TJ's PVC was sent to you for replicating over 4 years ago! How long does it take for you to paint all that white?!?!?!?! Need me to check your aquaponics plumbing for adequate flow? (or hold it hostage?) grin

grin Stay away from my PVC! grin

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/18/15 11:12 AM.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I think we have got a dozen or so off our place in the last year. 9 in traps and a few more shot.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday