Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,976
Posts558,116
Members18,509
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,562
ewest 21,502
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
11 members (Sunil, Bill Cody, 123, esshup, JoshMI, Sryously, FishinRod, Angler8689, Deancutler, John Fitzgerald, Fishingadventure), 1,182 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I have a much larger hauling tank on a trailer, but for moving fish around the farm between ponds -- and back and forth to three high schools I've set up recirculating systems -- I wanted something smaller. When empty this tank is light enough it can be lifted on a off the trailer by one person, and the trailer I ended up putting it on can be moved easily by hand. A pick-up truck would easily accommodate the tank vs. a trailer.

Anyway, thought I'd share this to show how easy it was, and other than the agitator, doesn't have to be complicated or expensive.

The tank: I was lucky enough to have this given to me free of charge from a plastic tank manufacturer that I get my larger circular rearing tanks from. It's 1/4 inch HD and very strong. It has a lip around the top which makes it taylor made for installing the lid. The inside corners are rounded and smooth.

I was leery that it may not be strong enough initially, but it has passed the test with flying colors.

I bought a piece of marine grade "Starlight" plastic 5' X 8' X 3/4 inch from a different plastic manufacturer. The main hq is in Michigan, but they have a plant near me in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. I think the entire piece was around a $100.00 if I remember right. I picked it up with the same trailer I put the tank on. Shipping would have been ridiculous even though the plant was less than 40 miles away!

I only used about half of it. I plan to build another tank for inside to act as a holding tank for seined fish before sorting and adding them to my three basement RAS'. I have a 110 volt agitator I can use for that one.

The plastic sheet was cut in half to size and bolted on one side to the tank recessed top with stainless steel bolts.

A stainless steel piano hinge was attached to both halves to allow one side to lift as a lid.

A spring loaded latch was added I bought off Ebay. I did have to make some alternations to it as it was too high for the edge of the tank. In fact it was a real PITA! I had to cut the spring off to take it apart and replace it with a new one! Then I had to drill two new holes to bring the pin down lower. Surprisingly I wasn't able to find a spring loaded latch like this locally.

Note the lid handle I picked up at Menards. LOL (Made in Michigan not China!)

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/09/15 09:17 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Here's the drain I installed with a Uniseal, and a ring cut out of a pvc end cap glued onto the inside, larger than the unseal opening to keep it from slipping out.

The tank fits on a small utility trailer that is rated for twice the weight of the filled tank. As I said the tank itself is very light and can easily be lifted on and off the trailer.

Here's the trailer before I added a treated 3/4 inch floor, and the 2 by 4's.

I bolted on a recess of treated 2 by 4's all around the tank to the trailer to keep the tank from sliding. Also added a rubber mat under the tank. And of course not shown are two straps that secure the tank to the trailer.

I want to be able to easily remove the 2 by 4's if I want to use the trailer for something else.

The rubber mat from Menards:

The agitator looking on the inside:

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/11/15 10:36 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
One more thing. The factory location for the plate on the back of the trailer is only asking for trouble, as when the trailer gets tilted down the plate gets mashed.

I bought a "plate saver" kit on Ebay and reinstalled it up higher on the trailer like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Plate-Saver-Lighte...ler+plate+mount

Here is the front and back of the plate saver and plates attached to the trailer. Yes Scott it's plastic but it's pretty sturdy. grin

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/10/15 11:24 AM.

S
S
Nice job Cecil.

Thanks for sharing it.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: snrub
Nice job Cecil.

Thanks for sharing it.

You're welcome!

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Is the agitator some "off the shelf" product or did you create it yourself with a motor and making a "paddle" to agitate?

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Cecil, those 90A style agitators will burn up and start fires real fast if the water level moves a half inch above or below the red line on the paddle for more than a few minutes. I had flames rolling on at least 15 of those units when they'd smoke the wiring....usually when going up or down a long hill on a highway, or stopped on a shoulder/pond side. Fuses never helped. I switched to 8A units using a propeller and that is not affected by the water level in the tank.

At about $180 a pop, not to mention losing a tank full of fish, I'd highly suggest dumping the paddle style. I have a few propeller styles I'd be glad to send you that work far better, longer.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: djstauder
Is the agitator some "off the shelf" product or did you create it yourself with a motor and making a "paddle" to agitate?

From Boat Cycle a sponser of the website.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Cecil, those 90A style agitators will burn up and start fires real fast if the water level moves a half inch above or below the red line on the paddle for more than a few minutes. I had flames rolling on at least 15 of those units when they'd smoke the wiring....usually when going up or down a long hill on a highway, or stopped on a shoulder/pond side. Fuses never helped. I switched to 8A units using a propeller and that is not affected by the water level in the tank.

At about $180 a pop, not to mention losing a tank full of fish, I'd highly suggest dumping the paddle style. I have a few propeller styles I'd be glad to send you that work far better, longer.

I wish it was $180 a pop! It was their heavy duty model over $200.00.

I may take you up on that, but would want to pay you. Tell me more.

Hopefully it will get me back and forth to the high schools on level roads for now. We're talking only 2 or three trips a year. Pond trips are on the property only. Very short and brief.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/11/15 07:05 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
mark12, Wood
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 05/01/24 08:03 PM
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by FishinRod - 05/01/24 07:59 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 05/01/24 07:53 PM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by esshup - 05/01/24 07:50 PM
New pond stocking
by esshup - 05/01/24 07:48 PM
How much feed?
by esshup - 05/01/24 07:36 PM
Is my feeder toast?
by Pat Williamson - 05/01/24 06:13 PM
Happy Birthday Tbar!