Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,129
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
14 members (PRCS, Augie, Boondoggle, Bill Cody, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne, Sunil, Angler8689, jpsdad, rjackson, esshup, jbird5986, Rick O), 992 guests, and 224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
From experience, don't do all that work to have two bullheads survive. They are tough durable critters that could tolerate significant lime and mild rotenone.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 06/27/15 11:00 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
In addition to Bill and Scotts insight, BH can survive in moist mud for periods of time even without surface water - from what I've read. That's why I think allowing the pond to dry for a period of time would also be beneficial. If you want to renovate by adding depth, removing organic material/silt, ect the equipment would help ensure any surviving/hiding BH are removed. I'd go tabula rasa here in your shoes.

Due to the cheap cost of hydrated lime and stubborn nature of BH, I'd second Scott's vote and perform a second application. FYI my cost for hydrated lime was $9/50# bag.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

S
S
One other consideration. Is there any source of re-infestation of trash fish? For example, a neighbors pond above yours that drains into your pond during high rainfall events?

If there is a chance BH can get back into the pond after all the fish are destroyed, it is important to get the desired fish established as quick as possible. Give them the upper hand. If it is a year before re-stocking, and in the mean time some more BH come into the pond before the correct fish get established, the problem can start all over.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
P
OP Offline
P
I've thought a lot about this and I really would like to have a healthy pond with LMB that is fun to fish. While I'm not in a huge hurry I would like to keep moving forward. I did get a little frustrated because I was so close to having an empty pond. I think my best option is to drain the pond and hope to get it cleaned out correctly. My problem is the amount of run off I get. The water enters the pond from 2 places. I'm planning on starting the syphon again this weekend. I will also get a diagram/picture of the layout and ask for input on how I can get this done.

There isn't any ponds near me so I shouldn't get more BH.

What about using chlorine and shock it like a pool?

Thanks

F
F
Can you create a ditch that diverts the water around your work areas, keeping you dryer?

The heavy but spotty rains have been raising heck here in central Iowa.. Just chiming in (misery loves company, I guess)..

"Politics": derived from 'poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
P
OP Offline
P
I might be able on one of the inlet areas. I'll have to build a dam and then cut a ditch to the side around the big pond. The other area has a lot of trees and is much wider.

I started a small pump tonight and will work on the syphon tomorrow. I ordered this...

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200456972_200456972

I'm going to put it in the lowest spot I can find and let it run.

Lunker
Lunker
A siphon will work 24/7, no gas, no refilling, cheaper and easier - just a thought.

If you plan on renovating the pond, it would be helpful to temporarily divert runoff so you can work with a dry basin. Although a trackhoe can still dig fine underwater - you won't have access to basin for compacting soils or other work if you wanted to do that. Another concern about not being able to see the basin during renovation is running the risk of hitting a gravel vein. Underwater you'll never know it - but dry you will and can fix it when you encounter it.

I would definitely check google earth and verify there are not BOWs upstream of you that could flood during heavy rain events. Reintroduction of invasive species would be a nightmare, obviously, and your efforts and money would be wasted.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

F
F
Originally Posted By: PaddlefishDreams
I might be able on one of the inlet areas. I'll have to build a dam and then cut a ditch to the side around the big pond. The other area has a lot of trees and is much wider.

Definitely worth the time and effort to do it. I had to do this on mine, and saved me days, if not weeks, of pumping. Still had to pump, just not nearly as much. Now if someone else is doing your excavating, they may have a huge pump where they will dig a hole where it is coming in and pump non stop till their done working.

As TJ says, siphons are great, but you need to have the outlet lower than the inlet. Not always possible.

P
OP Offline
P
A syphon will only take the pond down about half way. My back side drop isn't low enough. I was planning on setting it back up today. Also planning on building the dam on the silt pond thing to block some water from getting in today and tomorrow.

I will need to hire out the big pond clean out. Anyone know someone with experience in the area?

P
OP Offline
P
I met with Dave's Dozing I'm waiting to hear back on his proposal.

With the syphon running again the water is dropping again.

P
OP Offline
P
Update...

I have drained the pond 3 times only to have Mother Nature fill it back up. The muck is crazy thick. Placing a pump in the deepest part I sunk up to my knees in muck and got stuck. Had have someone pull me out with a rope tied around my knee. Have to place pallets to walk on to get work done. And they float when the pond fills up.

Now to the even more frustrating thing. I have called 6 contractors trying to find someone to fix my pond. 1 said I was to far. 2 never returned my phone call. 1 met with me but have yet to provide an estimate. Each time I call he says call me back in a week. 1 showed up to look at it two days later than he said he would. Then rescheduled and never showed up and won't return my calls. My last ditch effort I talked to a customer who builds basements. He said his machine operator could do it. I called him and he didn't show up during our planned time. I talked to my customer again and low and behold I promptly got a phone call and he is supposed to look at my pond this weekend.

L
L
Snow shoes make for a great way to get around on mud and muck.

S
S
A wet season or year is a bad time to try and clean out a pond. Mother Nature has not cooperated too well this year for such projects over a lot of the nation.

A severe drought is the best time to do it. But no one wants to see that either.

John

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Hey Squid, just thinking. I have never even seen a set of snow shoes.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
L
L
That will make it all the more fun wearing some in 100 plus heat! They worked great for getting around my new pond, when the soil was nothing but chewing gum. Without them, I feared for my life asi could not get out of the hole for the weight of stuck mud and sliding back in.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Those are neat.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
P
OP Offline
P
Well finally got my first real estimate. And I fell over. The first and only person to give me a number came in at 20-25k. First of all there is absolutely no way I can afford that. He wants to push up some dirt to make a sludge retaining area behind the dam and park his excavator on the dam and use a dozen to push the muck to the excavator. I can't for the life of me figure why it could possibly cost that much. Heck I can buy a used backhoe for 20k. So back to the drawing board for me. With that kind of money maybe I should change my line of business.

S
S
Dealing with pond muck is no fun. Likely why you are having trouble getting contractors to return calls. I have only used a dozer in the ponds I have cleaned out. The guys that do it regularly around here do it as you described. Use an excavator to scoop out the muck and a dozer to crowd it to the excavator. I would love to have an excavator.

It might be cheaper to build a new pond from scratch in a new location than to clean the old one out. Problem with that is, often times the pond to be cleaned out is in a strategic location and is the only desirable location for a pond. Thus the necessity of cleaning it out rather than building new.

I'm not a contractor, just a farmer with some construction equipment. But I know if I was a contractor I would much rather run machines building a new pond than cleaning out an old one. It is not the most desirable heavy equipment job in the world.

John

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 09:00 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday