Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,999
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
5 members (Harrison55, Boondoggle, Bigtrh24, FishinRod, Fishingadventure), 1,306 guests, and 289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
Is there anywhere on the web that has some good illustrations of the sunfish family? Trying to id these bream type fish. Mouth is about the size of a nickel to a quarter, north texas, short small greenish-blue lines. Will these compete with my largemouth bass? Do I want these in my 1.5 acre pond? I bought 10lbs of coppernose bluegill (ranging 3-5 inches) last weekend will these spawn this year? Thanks for any help.

S
OP Offline
S
I think they are green sunfish but not a 100% positive. Should I try to get rid of these and just keep the coppernose bluegill and bass? Any suggestions?

L
L
Here is a link to a picture of a Texas Sunfish,

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fish/infish/species/sunfish.htm

I stocked Coppernose (2 to 3 inches) in my pond May 1 last year. They spawned in late September and through mid October. The fry didn't grow much during the winter, but they are about 3 inches long now and there are a lot of them. The bass just love them. ;\)

If they are Green Sunfish you probably should get rid of them if you can. They have big mouths and they will compete with your bass for forage fish. Also they tend to over populate and to hybridize with other sunfish.

Larry

L
L
Opps, that should have been:
"Here is a link to some pictures of Texas Sunfish",instead of "Here is a link to a picture of a Texas Sunfish".

Sorry about that,
Larry

N
N
another good site, with pictures (not drawings) is

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/efish/

Nick Smith
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Wow. In browsing the archives, I found this thread and couldn't believe the negativity openly spewed towards green sunfish. Of course, what struck me next is that it does not appear that any of these people - even those who didn't say anything about GSF - participate in the forum any longer. I just can't help but wonder if Mick happened to run across this thread . . .

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Todd3138
Wow. In browsing the archives, I found this thread and couldn't believe the negativity openly spewed towards green sunfish. Of course, what struck me next is that it does not appear that any of these people - even those who didn't say anything about GSF - participate in the forum any longer. I just can't help but wonder if Mick happened to run across this thread . . .

They all died under mysterious circumstances. Very scary indeed! I'm just trembling writing this post. I don't want to be next!

\:o

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Coming from an experienced forum member such as yourself, it is indeed frightening to think about the possible ramifications of disparaging the GSF. I, personally, just don't see anything wrong with them, and can't understand why they are so maligned!

GSF enforcers - note my approving tone towards your species of choice. I think Cecil is also okay with them, so don't waste any time reading anything into his post!

Last edited by Todd3138; 11/08/09 09:53 PM. Reason: Self-serving attempt to save the necks of Cecil and myself!

Todd La Neve

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I'm sure you will hear from a new group of GSF haters, and, of course the GSA; get your dues ready. They are a Mottley Crue, from the left coast.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I think most Mottley things come from the left coast, don't they?!

Todd La Neve

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
It is my theory that these early, now disappeared members, far from being eliminated by the GSA, have actually sublimed. They have been freed from their earthly, trivial concerns, and now move on a more etherial plane of being, the transformation being effected by their greater comprehension of the universe than those of us who are still here can muster.

Having said that, Todd, I do not think you have anything to fear from the GSA. Nothing really bad seems to happen to those who oppose them, and I offer myself for comparison with JHAP as an example. Specifically, I recall reading recently that he was scheduled for a colonoscopy. I have never been scheduled for a colonoscopy, much less had one. How much more evidence of the ineffectual nature of the GSA do you need?

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
sw, dont sweat it. yer bass love the greenies more the CNBG. if yer CNBG get established, the greenies will become the minority.

GSF are people too!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
 Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca
sw, dont sweat it. yer bass love the greenies more the CNBG. if yer CNBG get established, the greenies will become the minority.

Yes but the key is getting the CNBG established. Not always a sure thing if a healthy GSF population exists. GSF in large #s can suppress BG spawning. Time will tell but adding 3-5 inch CNBG is a good start.

The 3-5 inch CNBG should spawn this spring.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
The thread above occurred long before the formation of the GSA. Accordingly, we had nothing to do with the disappearance of the people that posted to this thread as far as you know.

Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac
It is my theory that these early, now disappeared members, far from being eliminated by the GSA, have actually sublimed. They have been freed from their earthly, trivial concerns, and now move on a more etherial plane of being, the transformation being effected by their greater comprehension of the universe than those of us who are still here can muster.

Are you by chance reading "The Culture" or have you lost all sense of reality?

Having said that, Todd, I do not think you have anything to fear from the GSA. Nothing really bad seems to happen to those who oppose them, and I offer myself for comparison with JHAP as an example. Specifically, I recall reading recently that he was scheduled for a colonoscopy. I have never been scheduled for a colonoscopy, much less had one. How much more evidence of the ineffectual nature of the GSA do you need?

Jeez, here we go again. More baseless propaganda being spewing by the haters of Green Sunfish.

Yes, I had a colonoscopy because I reached the age of 50. Sooner or later it'll happen to all of you if it hasn't all ready. And since you brought it up Yolk, I'll say this about the colonoscopy, fortunately with the drugs that you are given you remember none of the procedure. Unfortunately the preparation for the procedure that occurs during the 24 hour period immediately before the procedure is most unpleasant (and that is as mild and as tactful as I can word that) and they don't give you any drugs to forget the preparation required. I recommended to my doctor that for future reference, they give you drugs starting two days before the procedure to ensure that all memories of said event are completed erased. Although he was amused it didn't seem like he was going to take my request seriously.

For you Yolk I think that you should voluntarily submit to a colonoscopy. Why you ask? To prove or disprove my theory as to where in fact your cranium resides of course. \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Oh and a story related to my colonoscopy, since you brought it up. On the day of the "event" in the prep room you are (or at least I was) given a sedative. Then your are wheeled into the procedure room. In the procedure room, at least during my procedure, there was a female nurse, a male doctor and a male tech that looked at the viewing screen (which made me wonder who did he piss off to get stuck with that job). Anyhoo, the nurse asked me why I was having the procedure done. I told her it was a 50th birthday present from my wife. She then said to me "Did you ask for a colonoscopy for your birthday?" To which I replied "Hell no, I asked for a game camera and apparently something was lost in the communication."

So then the nurse says "I should have my colonoscopy done, I feel guilt not having it done yet and I'm 55." So I asked her why hadn't she had the procedure done. As she says "Well the main reason is that I would want have it done here by this doctor and this tech and I really don't want them to see my behind (not the actual word she used but you get the idea). I told her look the problem is that we need to level the playing field. I instructed the doctor and tech to cross the room, drop their pants and show the good nurse their hind quarters (once again not the actual word used) so that she would feel more comfortable with the entire procedure, I told them I felt is was their duty to medicine. About that time the doctor said let's get this one "under" and they pushed the knock out drug.

When wheeled out of the procedure my wife was waiting in the hall and the nurse said to Ricki "Does he belong to you?"

To which Ricki replied "Oh no what did he do now?"

And the Nurse relayed the story above.

I want a game camera for Christmas, but this time I'll not going to ask Ricki for one..... I'm calling Greg Grimes directly.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Good thing you didn't ask for an electroshocking boat.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Dang, I never thought of that. Note to self, remove cattle prod from birthday wish list.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
One of my friends asked them to "set it on vibrate and come back in an hour".
They didn't see the humor.......

Just do it...
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I'm not going to tell my vasectomy story. Ain't no way.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Thank the lord.

Did you know this forum is about ponds and fish?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

How about the ride to and from in the stretch limo?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

How about the ride to and from in the stretch limo?

So, he thought...if I'm gonna be impotent, I'm gonna look impotent?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
OK, the Doc was a guy I had known for quite a while. I got all prepped and was just a wee bit nervous. I had fished, hunted and drank beer with this guy and knew him too well. So, I got all prepped. Prepped means: well you can figure it out. Finally, he walks in and is carrying a claw foot hammer and a brick with a dead serious look on his face. I told him that this was no time for joking around. His reply was "Who's joking? Just relax, this won't take long". Then they gave me a nitey nite shot and when I woke up, the deed was done.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Wow, so many conflicting views on this fish and its followers! What is a newbie to do???!!! I sure as heck know I don't want to go through a colonoscopy!

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Guv, you just broke the collective hearts of all of the young, nubile females here on Pond Boss who had randy dreams of pro-creating with you.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 05:13 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner