Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,088
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Sunil, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE), 790 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Before I jump the gun again on recommending nuking the existing fishery and starting over, it would be a cool experiment to stock FHC and BC and monitor their performance. Since Corey is planning on starting over down the road anyhow, if he stocked 25-50 BC and FHC per acre this Fall he might end up with a nice sized BOW featuring trophy cats [and probably trophy BG and LMB - the few one could manage to catch]. I think BC and FHC can grow pretty fast - in 3 years might have some fish pushing 20#. I haven't been trophy catfishing in a long time...my muskie rods and level winds need a workout!

I like your plan TJ. The only thing I might do a little different is ladder stock the catfish, a small number the first year, a higher number the second year, and maybe even a higher number in year three. The smaller initial stocking with less competition will become the trophy class, the higher density subsequent stockings will be for carp control.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
I was thinking about doing that shorty. But I'm concerned that the first year BC will eliminate any subsequent stockings. Maybe I can grow them in cages til 12" or so.

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Also I have no idea where to get a significant number of stocker flatheads. So they may not be a realistic option.

P
P
I don't know much about BC, but flatheads will eventually eat every fish in your pond of 1/2 acre. Yep, you will have some big flatheads but nothing else and the flatheads will only grow until they run out of food. It happened to a guy up the road who had a pond with too many little bluegill. He only pu 2 flatheads, one 10 pound and one 8 pounds out of our local river in to control the BG. When he drained the pond 7 or 8 years later to clean it out, the 2 catfish were the only fish in it. One was about 25 lb and the other about 18. A few would be okay in a much larger pond or lake.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Great point Poppy - smaller bows can't withstand the pressure of apex predators with that top end size potential. However, in this case we're looking at a 20 acre BOW - so I think the stocking strategy I recommended will be OK. Ladder stocking via Steve is a good idea, providing you can source the cats seasonally which is not a given. Remember, Corey has rather waived the white flag on managing the current sport fishery and his new goals are shifting to allow cats to grow on all available forage - so maybe subsequent stocking of Gizzard shad and bullhead would be beneficial down the road? One of my dream projects was a larger bow [10 acres+] stocked with BC, CC and FHC with the goal of growing trophy cats and everything else considered forage...I think this is an awesome project and don't know it's ever been performed before. Groundbreaking stuff!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
I would love it if the only fish remaining were large BC and FHC. In fact I'd say that's my goal at this point. I highly doubt they'll ever eradicate all of the carp though.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
With the CGC (Common German Carp - CC is Channel Catfish) in there, he might not need to stock any GS. They are pretty prolific.

Blues can be sourced down Texas way, I'm not sure about Flatheads.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: NEDOC
I would love it if the only fish remaining were large BC and FHC. In fact I'd say that's my goal at this point. I highly doubt they'll ever eradicate all of the carp though.

When Overton acquired his existing fish farm more than ten years ago, it was called Catfish Meadows:
"The D&B strain of blue catfish got its name at the D&B Fish Farm in Crockett TX which has since gone out of business. This strain was also shared by the Catfish Meadows hatchery and continues to exist as broodstock and fingerlings."

We have a 12+lb Overton BC in our little pond for biomass control. I want to remove it but it is still doing it's job and son Jeff keeps it as his pet... grin
George

Last edited by george1; 06/24/14 10:34 AM.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Awesome George. Thanks for sharing. I had been looking over Overton's sight and was hoping to find a way to retrieve their strain all the way to Nebraska.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Betcha could make it happen!
I would love to have a pond/lake full of BlueCat and Common Carp. Carp are now being seriously pursued and now called "Golden Bones" by some fly fishermen.
They will put a run into the backing that will stand up the hair on the baci of your neck - BC will make you think you have a bear by the tail... grin
G/

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Improving the size of Carp in the pond is actually another one of the benefits that has played into my stocking strategy. For the last 15-20 yrs I have not seen a carp above 3 lbs. Maybe a bunch of BC and FHC will thin them out to the point that I get some monsters in there. Or better yet, maybe they will all be gone smile

Lunker
Lunker
Trophy FHC and BC all night, then in the morning flycast for some 20# CGC - sounds like a very unique plan that can work. It would be the first of it's kind, I believe, and a total blast.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think you are on the correct plan to make it a great fishery for your goals. Now just to source the Flatheads!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
I'm very interested to see if there will be water quality/clarity changes and vegetative changes with a diminished carp population. Like Teejaeh said, it's very unique and unusual plan. It'll essentially be a big experiment for me.

Lunker
Lunker
I think one can safely assume clarity will improve with reduction of CGC, along with it increased aquatic vegetation, and healthier water.

S
S
Son had a couple BC they had bought from the pet store and raised in an aquarium. They let them go in their one acre pond I refurbished for them. We stocked it with 5-6" BG this spring along with some FHM and about ten CC and some RES fingerlings. Will put some LMB in next year.

I hope the two BC are not a mistake, but think they will be ok as long as they catch them out and eat them before they get too big. Have no clue to what the gender of the two BC were.

Pet store told them they were the same BC that were used to stock ponds with. That is all I know about their origin.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
A couple big muskie and Flatheads WOULD be a rather sadistic, but fun scenario to watch unfold....If rotenone is an option, who cares if there is a DO crash?!?!?! In all honesty, as the big apex predators slam the trash fish, DO will go up from fewer consumers and transformed biomass (lunch).

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
** as the big apex predators slam the trash fish, DO will go up from fewer consumers and transformed biomass **

That's an excellent point I hadn't considered Rainman. Thanks.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
I wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone was wanting to share recent experiences with Blue Catfish. With the help of TJ, I'm about to embark on an attempt at a trophy blue catfishery and was gathering as much info as I can.

We have a pond with BC and FHC that started getting stock around 8 years ago. Some of our BC are in the upper 20's with a few in the 30's. Can't catch them on CC baits what so ever. It's always got to be fresh cut bait or live BG.

Forced to work born to Fish
F
F
What do you have for forage fish in that Catfish pond Snakebite? Also, what are all the types of fish in that pond?

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Thanks Snakebite. That's exciting to read. I'm really hoping for my Blue Cats to wipe out my carp population and explode in size in the process.

Did you/ Do you feed your BC pellets? Do the FHC show up to pellets ever? How many per acre did you stock?

@fishnchips forage fish BG,RES,Mosquito Fish,GSH, FHM,Crayfish,Bull frogs. BCP,LMB,GC,CC all in good size ranges.

@ NEDOC we feed right before dusk, CC mostly come up, but in the spring or fall the BC will come in as well.

Forced to work born to Fish
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
I've got blues in a ~3 acre pond, they've been there for about 7 years and are reproducing. Pretty fair populations of BG,RES,GSF for forage. The LMB population has definitely suffered-I think the larger BCs, up to about 25lbs, are fairly heavily feeding on LMB in the ~12" range. The BCs seem to have altered BG behavior--I frequently see schools of BG in the middle of the pond, feeding on the surface almost like trout. I think they're afraid to get close to shore where the BCs hang out. I never see this behavior in another pond a couple hundred yards away that doesn't have BCs.
The BCs seem much more piscivorous than CC. I frequently catch them in the 2-3# range on crankbaits in shallow water, sometimes 3 or 4 an evening.
I would think, over time, that BCs could really help with your carp issues.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Thanks YolkSac. That's interesting. A 25 lb fish in Nebraska on a crank bait is hard for me to even imagine!

Last edited by NEDOC; 07/31/15 08:52 PM.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday