Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,104
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,111
Who's Online Now
12 members (Bill Cody, FireIsHot, Dylanfrely, Boondoggle, FishinRod, esshup, PRCS, Layne, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure), 725 guests, and 179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
Ok so I am trying to seal the leak in my dam with bentonite. I am draining my pond down to below the leak "Rain is not helping". Granular bentonite is pretty expensive but I found a place near my pond that sells bentonite dust cheap. The company is Amcol the dust is the by product of there cat litter facilty. http://www.amcol.com/ The man I talked to says people use it all the time for pond repair including himself. I can get it for $45 a ton where granular comes out $16 for a 50lb bag. Anyone use the dust form? At $45 a ton I can reseal the entire dam.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I've only tried the powder stuff. It hasn't worked for me. However, at that price, I would certainly give it an opportunity.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
OP Offline
C
I install cermaic tile for a living, not that, that makes me a masonery expert and obviously not a " Leak fixer upper" but I was thinkig if I would mix up LOADS of mud by mixing bentonite powder and water in wheelbarows and just keep pouring it across the inside of a drained breast it should form a thick layer of clay that should seal? Now the prep I was thinking is pumping the pond below its below leak then clearing major rocks and other forms of debris. Dump layers of bentonite slurry 1.5-2 inches at a time then repeat untill I get about 4-6inches. If I can get a good layer of bentonite mud it should seal when the water goes back up do to hydrolic pressure? The breast is pretty steep do not know how I could stamp it in well. Or would it be better to mix the powder with the soil on the dam... I have not read to many good reports with the use of bentonite except when used in mass amounts. My dam is less the 100yrds wide so at $45 a ton I would think I can dump enough on it to seal it. At 35% of the ponds water holding capacity the leak stops so I am praying that when I pump it down till the leak stops I can still keep my fish and fix the leak too. As much feed back as soon as possible would be most helpfull. All that water freezing as it leaks through my dam, gota do major damage? Winter in PA is close and this may take some time.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I have no idea whether that would work. Bentonite, IMO, is meant to be mixed with existing soil and then allowed to expand when wet.

Dealing with powdered bentonite is a real character builder. It is unbelievably slick. If you have any moisture on you like sweat the stuff is almost impossible to wipe off.

I think I would contact someone at a bentonite mining operation and start asking for opinions.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
B
See if you have a Southern States farm supply nearby. They have 50# bags for reasonable $$$.

http://www.southernstates.com/

buzz

G
G
I just sealed my small 10th acre pond with powdered Bentonite. I spread it dry, tilled it in, then backfilled with dirt to protect the Bentonite layer. It is sealed and doing great.
Bentonite does get very slick and does not harden when saturated so I do not know if the Bentonite will work on a dam, but it sounds like you have a reasonable plan. I would pour it thick and cover it with soil to protect the seal. Compact as best you can before filling with water.
I would make sure what you are getting is PURE, UNPROCESSED Sodium Bentonite, not Calcium Bentonite.
Good luck, let us know how it does.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
We spread bentonite and clay and tilled them together in 6" lifts and compacted it with a sheepsfoot roller to seal the bottom of my leaking pond this summer. So far the pond is doing well and filling up. PM me if you want some pics of how it was done.

Montani semper liberi

Mountaineers are always free[Linked Image from i369.photobucket.com]
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Cody,
I also need some a couple tons of bentinite to seal a pond. Please let me know if you purchased and tried any of the powder yet.

Jeff Gaines
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Where you been, Jeff? Good ta hear from ya.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I bought a farm in NE Missouri and have been busy putting in foodplots for deer and doing some bowhunting.
Reading these posts is like visiting old friends!
My F1 largemouth are about 5 years old, 22" and 6 lbs, fast and healthy. They are eating a steady diet of hand fed Aquamax Largemouth. The water explodes at feeding time. I am trying to locate a leak that I have had since the pond was built. It is a constant leak that flows out the back of the dam, about like a kitchen faucet running. I am siphoning down the water with 3" PVC and my 2 acre lake has dropped about 5' in the last 10 days. The leak is still flowing, so I am going to keep the siphon running until it stops. The pond was originally 19' deep, so I hope that I do not have to drain much more water, because I do not want to lose my trophy bass. I have an aerator, and the water temp is cooling down, but I suppose that I should cull out a bunch of fish or they will die from lack of oxygen??? Anyone want some big food trained F1 bass? I hate to eat these trophies!

Jeff Gaines
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Hey Jeff. I think, but do not know, that it must be running somewhere under the dam and emerging at the back. If it were through the dam it seems that it would have washed out the whole works by now.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I have a huge 500' long "L" shaped dam that required alot of dirt, considering my pond is only about 1.7 acres. The pond builder dug a 3 ft deep keyway trench down to clay before building the dam, however the bottom of the lake is deeper than the key way because they needed dirt. The dam was built with rubber tire scrapers, which appeared to pack the soil, but I might have to get a sheepsfoot roller back here and some bentonite.

Jeff Gaines
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Jeff, with the temps we are getting now, I doubt your fish will deplete the oxygen, especially if you're aerating.

V
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
V
Cody, I just sent you a PM. I would like to try the product. Have you heard anything more about this?

C
OP Offline
C
Just got it sealed! Drained it below the leak and just dumped the powder. Rake it out even and sprayed it with water. Water level came back up and no water below the dam for 2weeks now. Stuff was messy not the most exact procedure could not imagine getting real touchy with the stuff. It turns into a solid slick of clay when wet.

T
T
Does anyone have a good source of bentonite in Northern California?

T. Gray Shaw
ISA Certified Arborist # WE-1037
Redway and Berkeley, CA
I live in IL and found it through a ditch witch dealer. They had to order it from WY and it was in 50 lb bags. No shipping charges. Was around 5.50 a bag ordered by pallet of 48 bags. CA has some ditch witch dealers so they may be able to help you.

Jim at FishinPals
"If You Too Busy To Go Fishing, You're Just To Busy"

T
T
Thanks Jim, I found a Ditch Witch dealer in the Bay Area and I think got a good price: pallet of 48 50-lb. bags of powdered bentonite = $520.80 + tax ($10.85/bag).

T. Gray Shaw
ISA Certified Arborist # WE-1037
Redway and Berkeley, CA

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:15 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails