Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
1 members (Boondoggle), 823 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I thought this was kind of cute. Gave me a chuckle anyway.

Normally this overflow pipe from a pond upstream is capped and considerably above the water level. Earlier in the year bank swallows nested in it. Considering all the rain we have had here and continue to have...

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/18/15 02:42 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Looks like that guy has figured out the ultimate GBH deterrent!

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
That's what I thought Bill. But he's out in front now laying in the water.

Must have a downside. Maybe not as many insects!

Got a line of severe storms headed our way for the second time today. At least the heat wasn't so bad.

The ground is so saturated the water just runs off it. Water will be running down the driveway up to two hours after the rain event.

We live in interesting times.

All time record heat a few years ago with days on end over 100 F. Then a winter that was one for the record books. 24 days below zero. And now record rainfall that is a new record since records have been taken. What next?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/18/15 05:59 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

I know what you mean. We have had 3.5 inches in the last couple days. My little watertable puddle is at "perfect" pool level now. This time last year, I was topping up from the well!

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I had 1.5" in less than an hour, then it really started coming down, and I had another 3/4" in about 20 minutes.

I had to put a sump pump into the well pump house that is below grade and my barn has 6" of water in it.

When I checked the pond it was 2" over full pool and going out both overflows, and a bunch of water was still flowing into the pond. It will be interesting to see what the level is tomorrow morning. "Full pool" is 62.5" and the "yardstick" was showing the water level at 65".

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
J
Cecil that is a great picture of the frog in a drain pipe. I wish I had taken it. The frogs are everywhere around my pond. Dolly, my dog and I were walking around the pond this morning in the dark and she nailed a frog and was carrying it in her mouth when she pounced on another frog but couldn't get it because she didn't want to open her mouth and loose the frog she already had. ONE IN THE HAND IS WORTH TWO IN THE BUSH kind of thing. Even she understands that. But it was too funny.

It rains everyday. I got and inch last night. In my 81 years I have never seen anything like this year.

F
F
Great Frog picture - eyes up high, reminds me of Kermit .

Wish you guys would send your excess H20 our way. We were full pool in Jan and are down 3 + feet now. This year the storms go North or South by just a few miles.
We are in the NO zone I guess - trying to keep up with evaporation from the well.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
I had 1.5" in less than an hour, then it really started coming down, and I had another 3/4" in about 20 minutes.

I had to put a sump pump into the well pump house that is below grade and my barn has 6" of water in it.

When I checked the pond it was 2" over full pool and going out both overflows, and a bunch of water was still flowing into the pond. It will be interesting to see what the level is tomorrow morning. "Full pool" is 62.5" and the "yardstick" was showing the water level at 65".

You need to raise your overflow to take advantage of the bonus rainfall! You know the pond will eventually go back down.

However do you think the water table is sufficiently high to be good for a while?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

You need to raise your overflow to take advantage of the bonus rainfall! You know the pond will eventually go back down.

However do you think the water table is sufficiently high to be good for a while?

I can't raise the overflow, if I do I'll flood my neighbor to the East. The water drains from his place to mine, and if the overflow is any higher it will back up into his back yard even further than it is.

I don't know about the water table, I believe it will take more than what we have now to bring it back up to full. It may be full on the surface now, but I don't believe that the underground aquifer is topped off.

There's still water coming into my pond and going out, although it's slowed down a bit. Infow is a 10" pipe, outflow is two of them. It's still 64.5" this morning.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Scott, I have ta agree that the table is not toped off. My pond is still about a foot from overflow. Altho we get lots of rain, it comes so much so fast that there is a huge amount that just flows into the creeks and rivers. Even tho my pond hasn't been this full the last two summers. Happy to have some new water but wish it would overflow to circulate the old out. You and I discussed how much more volume is in a pond when the top foot is filled (largest area of the pond).
Cecil, if it ain't too much trouble could ya feed your frogs. My grandson is chompin at the bit ta go frogging.:)

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Had a larger frog in the pipe yesterday. A smaller one was close by. Must be a coveted spot and the larger frog wins.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM