Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,109
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
8 members (jbird5986, Boondoggle, Dylanfrely, Bill Cody, Deancutler, Angler8689, FireIsHot, Treeguy27), 774 guests, and 174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
After the shooting range we made our way to Chicago for a 4th of July party, at a friend of Scott's a few houses down from where he grew up.

On the way there, through the south side of Chicago, Esshup took us through a part of town that was, let's say a little less than desirable, and one we wouldn't be going back through after dark! And after seeing that, I'm very happy to be living near the little town of Walton, NE!

What a culture difference from where we had been, to visit with these folks from Chicago! We met some great people and heard some great stories!

My new friend, Wayne, a retired building inspector in Chicago. Think he didn't have a few stories to tell? whistle

After a great party and meeting some great people, here's Scott (Esshup), Wayne, Fatih, myself and John who put it all on:

I hope you're able to see this video of the incredible fireworks display Scott's friend John had put on for the neighborhood!

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd46...28yqop.mp4.html

[video:youtube]http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/lovnli...28yqop.mp4.html[/video]

Last edited by Lovnlivin; 07/11/15 07:56 PM.

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Sunday was a day of rest before heading back over to Scott's to fish his pond and then later sit down for an incredible Ribeye dinner!

Scott had the butcher cut some 1 1/2" thick Ribeye's to go on the grill which had been marinating for 4 days, along with sauteed mushrooms and onions, baked potatoes and corn on the cob.

And finally I was able to contribute when he asked if I would grill them. Absolutely!

Let the feast begin!

Thanks AGAIN, Scott!

(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
What an incredible trip!!!

Monday we headed to Grand Haven, MI to meet JKB, Matt Rayle, and Fishnchips (Jim and his wife Diane).

Even though our charter on Lake Michigan had been cancelled due to the weather, we all met up for dinner compliments of JKB!

From left: Fatih (even smiling!!!), Matt Rayle, myself, JKB, Esshup (Scott), Fishnchips (Jim) and his wife Diane.

While we all had hotel rooms for the night, fishnchips and his wife were set up in a tent, and the unfortunate benefactors of the evening storms that rolled in giving them their own light show with some incredible lightning and heavy rains cry

I remember the next morning seeing a PM on PB from fishnchips asking "anyone know where we can get a DRY breakfast!

With our Lake Michigan charter being cancelled I'm so glad we were able to all get together, and I know we (once again) stayed past closing time!

And JKB, thank you so much for picking up the tab!!!

Since our Lake Michigan charter was cancelled on Tuesday due to the weather, JKB set up a guided fly fishing trip for trout on the Muskegon River, for Fatih and I as well as Fishnchips and JKB.

Fatih and I were with one guide, JKB and Fishnchips with the other. And on this trip, JKB could do no wrong! Every time we saw their boat he was reeling in a fish!

We had probably the nicest captain out of all the charters we had been on and I know he did his best to put us on fish, but JKB that day had the magic touch! Fishnchips said that even if JKB's fly was just dangling in the water, it was "fish on"!

Getting ready to launch on the Muskegon River:

Although I felt my bucket list had been fulfilled weeks ago, I couldn't deny that fly fishing on a running river for trout wasn't on it. So, here's my first trout from fly fishing on a running river!

We caught some Brown's and Rainbow's totaling about 10-12 between Fatih and I, but a far cry from 30 or so caught by JKB! And with this being fishnchips first fly fishing adventure, I think he reeled in about 10 himself!

Special thanks to JKB for all the work he put into setting up the Lake Michigan charter, keeping up on the weather reports and staying in touch with the captain, and for hosting this trip on the Muskegon River!

I just can't say enough about the hospitality and generosity shown to us by all the Pond Boss family! Including those following along on the forum with your comments and words of encouragement! Thank you all so much!

Before fishing the Muskegon River we drove down to the beach and walked the North Pier.

And saw for ourselves why the charter that day was cancelled!

Again, I can only hope this video works, but it shows the waves on Lake Michigan, even washing up over the walkway on the pier:

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd46...zhywb4.mp4.html

Oh, and the parking lots in Grand Haven look much different than those in Nebraska shocked

Last edited by Lovnlivin; 07/11/15 07:57 PM.

Regarding our stay with Esshup, we can't thank him enough for opening up his lake house for us and blocking out his week to offer a taste of Indiana, fishing his pond and treating us to many events during our stay!

One thing about Esshup, is this man is a walking encyclopedia of knowledge! I've known this throughout the 3 1/2 years of being on the forum but meeting this humble man in person was truly a treat in itself!

Thank you, Scott for putting us up and putting up with us grin

On Wednesday after arriving in Grand Rapids and getting a hotel, Fatih asked if I would narrate our trip on video as a part of his documentary, so we found a walking park with a nice background to get that done.

Then after getting back to the hotel around 5:30 and past Fatih's nap time (sorry, Fatih I had to throw that in smile ), I decided to grab a bite to eat and start my long drive home as I didn't think I could drive the 12-13 hrs in one day, after already logging over 6,000 miles.

Fatih and I spent some time reflecting on our trip before I headed out, with knowing I had met a wonderful man from Turkey who's soon to become a daddy, and with whom I can now call my good friend!

PS - Hopefully within a few days I will type out a final synopsis of this incredible adventure, that turned out better than I could have ever dreamed.

Thank you all for following along!

BTW, apparently my babies in my pond missed me!

It was another "Welcome Home!"

WE MADE THE NEWS!!! grin

Stopping in at the office I found an envelope with a copy of "The Windsor Review" inside, sent by CMM who hosted us in Windsor, MO., with a note saying "See Page 2".

How cool is that!

Thank you so much, Cim!

C
CMM Offline
C
Hey, it's a small town. We take what we can get for news, lol.

We were tickled to host you and a number of people have commented on how neat it was for you to be in Windsor after they saw the paper.

Just don't read the police report, I think I got stopped for having a turn signal out that week. Hee hee

Cmm

CMM

That was a great article, well written and very accurate!

Nice work wink

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That's cool!!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Makin the news was great. Their visit to my place was better...for me. If Butler had a newspaper I would only hope to have such an article run. Windsor must be BIG time!!
Hats off to LL for his great report all the way through. Now I think the pressure is on Fatih to top that. Since they always wanted to put up wagers, I'd bet the Turkey guy can't top Keiths report.
Thank you Scott for bringin em over. Thank you Bill Cody for comin over and bringin the Corn King with ya.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
We might not hear from Fatih for a while, I believe he's getting ready to head back overseas and once he hits home I'm sure there's a long list of things that he needs to catch up on!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I will share an update in a day or two guys.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
See Scott, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yep!

I got a text update last night, but I'll let him fill in the details. wink grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Should be interesting.

F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Guys, now i am ready to write an update, next to my beautiful fish, swimming in their new home.

After we leave Allen's place , we are headed to Cim's place and 30 minutes before the arrival we find out he is a lady smile .

She gives us a great welcome. You can see that she is happy for seeing us. And so are we!

We do some shooting and fly fishing on a canoe. In the morning we ate the best breakfast in the USA so far.

Cim's husband , Michael is a great man too. By the way, thank you guys for that newspaper publishing thing. I will be very cool when i show it to people here smile .

Then we head to meet Rex and Cathy in St.Louis. They take us to the best buffet ever, where you can eat 10 or 15 bizarre foods(crab legs, octopus , crayfish etc.) .

More bizarre food the better !

Then we head to a pool place where we all take turns to play each other. Rex and Keith dominates the evening smile .

After staying in Rex's hotel room for the night(Thanks Rex) we head to Indiana, to meet Scott and get some rest and peace in his lake house.

Oh , i almost forgot. And of course to catch some hugeeee carps , as he promised ! The first thing after we get to town we go buy some corns and toss them in the water.

I cast my line in the water. I leave my drag loose and with another pole i cast lures for other fish. Suddenly i see my rod bending down and i run 50 yards in 10 seconds.

That fish snaps the line when it gets under the pier. I catch couple 5-7 pounders that day. The next day i got a 10 pounder along with probably 5-6 other fish. The next day the same. The next day i catch a 14 pounder. Largest carp of my life! So in that piece of water i probably caught 15-20 fish in 4-5 mornings. It was just great !

I know carps are trash fish for you and you don't fish for them but i doesn't make any sense. They are hard to catch. They fight like hell and they are nice looking fish. If you want to eat one they are delicious too!

Why do you hate'em guys? smile

We pay a visit to Scotts place 2-3 times during our stay and fish our pond. Man, Scott's pond is great! You can catch fish anytime. I caught my first SMB and Perch on his pond. It was just so great!

During our time in Indiana we go see Cecil, Bill Cody and Bob-O. All great people ! We spent little more time with Bob. We caught some great fish on his pond. Scott and i had a competition for a dinner and i won! laugh Hehe. We ate in a Chinese Restaurant.

By the way, I was fasting during our Indiana and Michigan trips because of religious reasons and every single day, these guys waited until it was 9:30 pm to eat , so i could join them!

Oh by the way, he gave me a hookless lure, so i wouldn't get myself again smile . I will use it as a key chain ! Thank you Bob.

Our Muskie charter was a nightmare. Fish of 10,000 casts? Are you kidding me? I can catch one every hour in Turkey. Later, i figured out that it was because we had all small fish and so there were plenty(instead of couple hugeee fish).

That 25 bucks brandnew lure , coming out of water was great though!

Michigan? Michigan was supposed to be the best part our trip. But weather ruined it again! Our lake Michigan charter was cancelled. We wanted to cancel our musky trip because fish was not biting in lake St. Clair. But Phil is a generous person, no doubt. He buys us a great dinner and then arranges a trout fly fishing charter. Phil and Jim outfishes us , which irritates me ,hehe, but after all having caught my first trouts on flies is something i will never forget:) .

With being successful in taking my dream fish species back to Turkey and being the first person ever to have these species in Turkey, this trip is literally "Mission Accomplished" . Scott has been trying to get those fish to my country for years now and i will never be able to thank him enough.

Do you know what was so important? Not the fishing or anything else. Being able to take a part in all those people's lives during this trip was something someone couldn't buy with money !

Eating a homemade Texas Brisket , made by a real Texan? Or someone driving around to get us the best shrimp in the US? Having a real musician playing guitar for me , without paying him anything , while i am catching fish? Living in a lake house which was occupied by generations and is full of history? More than this, the best friendships for no charge or nothing in return?

You can't buy these things !

I thank all those friends who let us share their place, gave all kinds of efforts to get us enjoy our time and showed the best examples of hospitality.

Thanks Keith, for being a part of it and making things easier for me.

Please forgive me , if i missed to mention anyone who helped us on this topic.

Till the next time... I love you all guys.

Last edited by Fatih; 07/18/15 06:10 PM.
C
CMM Offline
C
Fatih,

Thanks for the update. So glad you got your fish home. I was wondering if that would ever happen. You are proof positive of the saying "where there is a will, there is a way"

Missouri is looking forward to your next trip.

Cmm

CMM

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Fatih, you were fortunate to have acquired such a good chauffer and fishin partner.
You make a pretty good guest except for taking advantage at wager time. Of course it was against Scott, so not to bad. I'm sure all your hosts enjoyed your visits as much as you did.
I'm hoping that some Turkey movie producer sees my pretty face and wants to make a movie with me as the star.
You can eat all the carp ya want. I personally try ta avoid bottom feeders, met too many in prison.
Good luck with your new fish.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Fatih and Keith, it was a pleasure having you here.

Bob, for some reason he didn't want to wager at the Sporting Clays range. wink grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Glad you had a good time and got some fish home. Sorry the fish would not cooperate in my pond. They just won't cooperate until feeding time.

Take care!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
What a great and epic adventure. Certainly the biggest in Pond Boss history.

I'm sorry our crazy schedule didn't permit us to participate in this event. But, I've been fortunate to be part of many other wonderful PB activities. It sure makes me proud to be a part of Pond Boss and to have so many good friends in this friendly and big-hearted group.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
What a great trip. Glad you guys enjoyed Missouri as a part of your big adventure. This thread really illustrates the good folks that are part of the PondBoss community.
Great story.

Last edited by SetterGuy; 07/19/15 10:01 AM. Reason: Spell correct

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:46 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails