Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,086
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
13 members (dg84s, Shorthose, Sunil, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Fishingadventure, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE), 798 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
OP Offline
I'm calling it full.. I took a few pics from the east side just scanning around the pond. It's only an inch or two from the overflow pipe, so it looks full to me.
I just wanted to take this time to say thanks to a few people.
First, Scott (esshup) he came in during construction with some good advice on habitat, construction, and fish selection. Then there's Rex (Rainman) he's cleared the water, and brought in the FHM, GS, RES, and YP. Plus he's given me a ton of advice. Also TJ, phone calls have been very helpful and keeping me on the right track. I've even had Bob Lusk on the phone once. It's been somewhat if an ordeal to get it to this stage, and I know there's still much much more to do. I just can't thank you guys enough..
The water is on the browner side due to a lot of recent runoff. We had another inch of very heavy rain a few hours before I took these pics. Just have to work out, plantings, aeration, additional fish species, water quality, and potential leaks..

South (shallow) end.

West side.

North end (dam)

The pipe.. It'll be going out the pipe on the next rain. I got a crazy few weeks in front of me, so I doubt I'll be there. It's within a few inches of going into the pipe now, so I'm calling it full. Hopefully it won't be dropping too fast..

We broke ground on Aug 1st. Just shy of 12 months ago. Scott was there on my 60th birthday watching the bats come in when the sun was setting.

Last edited by SetterGuy; 07/13/15 06:58 AM.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
Man the pond turned out great.

SetterGuy, congrats on a job well done.

AL

OP Offline
Thanks. It will probably have a small, hopefully very small, leak. About 10 days into the construction one of the dozer guys told me, "if it were my pond, I'd stop. We've hit too much rock. This pond will never hold water." We (me and the three guys I was paying..) ha, talked it over, and decided to finish it. So far so good. It drops some between rains, but it's just getting filled, and the drop is pretty minimal. (1" per week) at this new level, I'm hoping the drop speed isn't increased.. I was in it (swimming and floating) Saturday for hours. I may change my priorities a bit with an emphasis on swimming. I must have a 100 FHM working me over while I float around though. My wife says maybe I should shower more frequently.

RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
Otter attack in 2023
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ponds sure look a lot better full than half full, don't they? grin

I'm glad to see that the plan is coming together and that it's finally full. Hopefully it will stay that way for a long time!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: esshup
Ponds sure look a lot better full than half full, don't they? grin

I'm glad to see that the plan is coming together and that it's finally full. Hopefully it will stay that way for a long time!!

+1!!!! I guess I'm the type that needs something to worry about. Ha!
Thanks again.

Edit. FYI, I caught my 5th coon fri night.. I'm getting the hang of it.

Last edited by SetterGuy; 07/13/15 08:44 AM.

Otter attack in 2023
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Jeff

Congratulations on the rains that finally arrived and on a project well done. I was happy to help, that's what we do here. I'm also available anytime in the future, and expect routine updates on your success and challenges. Reporting them to the forum adds to the universe of knowledge, and is just another element which makes the forum an invaluable resource.

You are yet another perfect example of how this forum is designed to help dreams become realized while saving thou$and$ in the process. I ask you stick around now and assist other budding pond and fishery managers with the benefit of your experiences - we need your presence.

Welcome again to the pond owner family!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

OP Offline
Thanks TJ, I feel like I'm still in the dark about 90% of the time with pond related items. I've read "The Prefect Pond" it helped for earlier questions, but now I need to know a lot more about water quality, plants, and habitat, let alone RES, YP, and SMB.. Is there a book or two you could recommend?
Thanks again for all the help.

Otter attack in 2023
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Depending on how in depth you want to go, take a look at these:

Small Impoundment Management in North America and Introduction to Wildlife and Fisheries an Integrated Approach 2nd Edition.

TJ might have others.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
If you need help with a stocking plan, call me and we'll work one out over the phone. No worries. I recommend SMB from Fountain Bluff Hatchery - Rex sourced mine there they were pellet trained and were excellent fish.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

OP Offline
Depending on how in depth you want to go, take a look at these:

Small Impoundment Management in North America and Introduction to Wildlife and Fisheries an Integrated Approach 2nd Edition.

TJ might have others.

I'll check into it. Thanks
Or, I can just keep asking questions here. Ha! I'll get the book. I don't want to pollute the forum with my stuff. (I already do it too much..)

Otter attack in 2023
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
If you need help with a stocking plan, call me and we'll work one out over the phone. No worries. I recommend SMB from Fountain Bluff Hatchery - Rex sourced mine there they were pellet trained and were excellent fish.

I don't think they can distribute fish into Mo right now. Rex has a line on some in MN.
Down the road I may add HSB, or WE, HBG, or a few albino CC. Not sure. What risk is there with adding HBG and having them cross with my RES and ending up with something I don't want? I'm hoping that with the RES and YP, I have something for grand kids to catch pretty easily.

Otter attack in 2023
OP Offline
Probably jinxed myself "declaring it full" I went by yesterday. 2" drop in 5 days.
That's a lot faster drop rate than I'd been seeing. (<1" week)
Didn't have time to look for where it may be seeping out. It's the first time at that level, so I expected it'd be soaking in etc..
I guess the extra pressure of the last 3' of water, or the leak is in the last 3' of pond bank that just was submerged. The suspicious areas on the bank were on a pretty steep upslope. I'll just keep following it.

Otter attack in 2023
S
S
I don't know if it would be a good thing or not, but I would love to have some HBG/RES cross in my pond. I would think it would be an outstanding cross.

I've often wondered if the "Georgia Giants" sunfish that are hybrids are not a three way cross involving BG, GSF and RES in some fashion. Don't know, just a musing thought.

Last edited by snrub; 07/16/15 11:18 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: SetterGuy
Probably jinxed myself "declaring it full" I went by yesterday. 2" drop in 5 days.
That's a lot faster drop rate than I'd been seeing. (<1" week)
Didn't have time to look for where it may be seeping out. It's the first time at that level, so I expected it'd be soaking in etc..
I guess the extra pressure of the last 3' of water, or the leak is in the last 3' of pond bank that just was submerged. The suspicious areas on the bank were on a pretty steep upslope. I'll just keep following it.

Jeff, give TJ a shout. He's working with a pond sealer that is showing great promise.....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
J
I think some of that water loss is probably evaporation... Depending on how hot and sunny the days have been it could be all evaporation. I've heard that a pond could lose an 1" in just one hot sunny summer day, can anyone confirm this?

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: JamieE
I think some of that water loss is probably evaporation... Depending on how hot and sunny the days have been it could be all evaporation. I've heard that a pond could lose an 1" in just one hot sunny summer day, can anyone confirm this?

I hope that has something to do with it. You can see the steam coming off in the mornings. I'm a worrier. School's still out on it. I'll just keep watching. It keeps raining.. It hardly moved at all from November to March when we had almost zero moisture. April, May very little rain, June we get a lot.. So it fills right up. Once August arrives and the rain slows down, hopefully I'll be able to see a wet spot behind the dam.

Otter attack in 2023
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Hopefully you won't see any wet spot at all!

If you look deep enough in the National Weather Service data base, you will find "pan evaporation rates" for your area. That will tell you what evaporation rates on average is for your area on a month to month basis. That will give you some idea about amount of evaporation.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

OP Offline
Went back up and checked the pond this morning. It's down about 3.5" in eight days.
I get thrown off where the bank is more gradual. Seems like a bigger drop.
That's a little less than a half inch per day. I didn't find any wet spits, but it started raining while I was looking. Looks like I'm still in the wait and see mode.

Otter attack in 2023
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Don't guess. Get an aluminum yardstick from one of the big box stores and attach it to a metal pipe that is pounded into the pond bottom. Lowes has them that are powdercoated yellow, with black numbers. That will tell you exactly what you are losing. It's impossible to guess by how much of the shoreline you see.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

OP Offline
It wasn't really a guess. I measured off the pipe. At it's peak it was 2" below the bottom of the pipe, now it's about 5.5" below the pipe. Give or take 1/4"
I thought I was close enough.
So,, is 3.5" in 8 days reason to be concerned? Sorry if I'm blunt. I should have made that clear in my previous post.
Thx

Otter attack in 2023
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If it fills up again, and drops at the same rate, I would be concerned.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

OP Offline
If it fills up again, and drops at the same rate, I would be concerned.

Thx. That's what I was afraid you'd say. I imagine it'll drop at the same rate next time. I wonder now if it will slow down as the level drops.

Otter attack in 2023
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I would say the water loss was completely normal. Some wicking and saturating is still occurring, and we had some high evaporation rates the last couple weeks. I lost 4" in a rain water bucket I use to water plants.

OP Offline
Well, the bad news first. The pond is now down 17.5", exactly. That's a 2" drop in the last ten days, but with low humidity, and zero rain, I'm thinking a lot of that is evaporation. There is still a small seep at the very base of the dam. No visible current in it, but there is a small puddle. Bone dry along the pipe, but the water level is below the bottom of the pipe, so it's hard to tell if that leak is fixed.
Now for the good news. Fish stocked this spring. 1,200 YP, and 150 RES. I fished for the first time yesterday. Just dropped a minnow down about 5' under a bobber. Three casts and three fist.
First fish was this young RES. Seemed healthy. I forgot my ruler, so no measurements.
For reference, I'm 6'5" and wear a XXL glove..

YP

From below.. (Male or female?)

Otter attack in 2023
OP Offline
FYI, the minnow trap in the picture. I put it in shallow water with some AM 500 in it, in a stocking. It was almost completely filled in minutes, with bull frog tadpoles! They really like AM 500!
I caught the FHM with a dip net. They are still thick.

Otter attack in 2023
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday