Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver
18,506 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,969
Posts558,040
Members18,507
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,546
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
14 members (Angler8689, Sunil, Boondoggle, Sryously, ghdmd, esshup, JoshMI, Ibanez540r, Bill Cody, FishinRod, Joe7328, Bigtrh24, J. R., gehajake), 886 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
DrLuke Offline OP
OP Offline
I am thinking of using one of those two pumps to try and mechanically remove FA mats from my pond. I have read and been advised a trash pump could potentially be used, but after talking to pump guy, was advised diaphragm pump would be better suited. Anyone with experience?

"Politics": derived from 'poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
F
F
I don't think a trash pump would work that well to get rid of FA, at least in the way I am thinking. If you are trying to get rid of the mats that are floating on the surface, everytime the suction hose gets above water it will break the seal and have to prime again. Harder on the pump and time consuming.

Can't say about the diaphragm pump, no experience with those.

DrLuke Offline OP
OP Offline
I thought I had read somewhere on PB about someone posting a youtube video, showing a trash pump being used for FA mat removal? Anyone come across that thread?

"Politics": derived from 'poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
D
D
Here's a youtube video about algae removal with a pump. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M2LlLQfVaI
They don't show their pump, but they show that it is possible with the right pump.

DrLuke Offline OP
OP Offline
How about a shredder sewage pump? Reducing the volume of the FA while pumping it out on the bank or into trailer might work well...

DrLuke Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is another way to 'mechanically' removed FA.... grin

[img:center][/img]

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
A trash pump would be better IMO. You will need a collector under floats to gather the FA and get it close to the constantly submerged suction hose, similar to your swimmers..lol

You'll also want to pump the discharge water/FA into something like 1/4"-3/8" hardware cloth to prevent the FA from just washing right back into the pond. Or lose water/FA over the back side of the pond....

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: DrLuke
Here is another way to 'mechanically' removed FA.... grin

[img:center][/img]

Perhaps you could call Randy Johnson with Iowa DNR special permits and get an approval to stock Tilapia.....

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: dg84s
Here's a youtube video about algae removal with a pump. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M2LlLQfVaI
They don't show their pump, but they show that it is possible with the right pump.

This is the video I was citing in previous post, thanks DG. I will reach out to these guys, see if it's commercially available and cost.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

DrLuke Offline OP
OP Offline
Good tip, Rainman! Thanks! I had researched using tilapia, and it would probably be part of the long term control plan, even though I'll have to restock seasonally. Right now, I'm working on getting my aeration system ordered and then placed. THEN I plan to go after the FA more aggressively. Just didn't want to kill off too much at once, and potentially screw the pooch on my DO levels..

DrLuke Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Originally Posted By: dg84s

This is the video I was citing in previous post, thanks DG. I will reach out to these guys, see if it's commercially available and cost.

I love the idea of pumping it out like that, but my research into pumps shows a fairly pricey investment. The video doesn't clearly show it, but my suspicion is they modified either a trash or diaphragm pump with some mechanical shredding, to reduce the FA volume. Slick concept. If they could hit a price point that typical pondmeisters could swallow, I bet it would be VERY popular..

Lunker
Lunker
I don't understand why a normal trash pump wouldn't work, but I'm one of the least mechanically inclined dudes on the forum, admittedly. So, why wouldn't a trash pump work? They are designed to move solids, yes?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

DrLuke Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm with you, mechanically speaking. From reading/researching them, full trash pumps are rated for semisolids, up to an inch or so, depending on the motor size. So I don't doubt they would be able to pull the FA mat through them, unless a large clump gets sucked in. It just may be hard to control how much of a mat it sucks up, and how it behaves inside the pump. I was thinking of renting one, to experiment...

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I think a trash pump would work, as long as you kept the intake hose underwater. Trash pumps operate centrifugally, in that they do not create a "vacuum" of sorts....they often need to be primed before use, and if the intake gets a big enough gulp of air, they may lose their prime.

Diaphragm pumps work by flexing a membrane back and forth. This lets them create a vacuum, irregardless of whether or not the intake hose is submerged. No prime needed. They would probably work better at removing surface material, but I'm not sure how fast they work when compared to a similarly sized trash pump.

I think a 90 degree attachment, or elbow, to the end of the trash pump hose might let the end remain submerged, while the FA is sucked down vertically. Maybe this would work smoother than gulping air at the surface.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Is there a concern you are going to suck out a whole bunch of fry that may be feeding on the organisms in the FA?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
bjennings79, chris vice, GRACOMAN
Recent Posts
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by ghdmd - 04/29/24 08:00 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Sunil - 04/29/24 07:04 PM
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 04/29/24 06:59 PM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 06:28 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:45 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:40 PM
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:35 PM
Where it all started 1 year ago today
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:07 PM
Alum kicks clay's butt....again!!!
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:01 PM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:58 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:54 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 09:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13
Minnow identification
Minnow identification