Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,089
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS), 747 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
OP Offline
B
More pictures. Was excited to find a picture of the project on TerraServer. Can you guys tell me what the plant is in my little pond?

Attached Images
Satellite Image May 2015.JPG June 17 looking north.JPG June 17 looking south.JPG June 17th timber.JPG June 17 Plant life in little pond.JPG
Looking great!

IMO the plant looks like one of the arrowhead varieties.

Last edited by Bill D.; 06/18/15 11:59 AM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Duck potato?

Originally Posted By: RAH
Duck potato?

IMO Could be. Largest of the arrowheads. Hard to tell from the picture. For Duck Potato, the flowers have 3 petals and the flower stalks are taller than the leaves.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
B
OP Offline
B
It does look like the "arrowhead" variety. I noticed yesterday that something has been eating them at the water surface. I didn't have my phone to take any pictures. Will try to some other time.

B
OP Offline
B
Little Fathers Day fun. My wife and the boys played for the first time in the new pond, while I brush hogged some clover plots. We had at least 3' visibility. I was surprised after having 10" of rain in the last week. I have been feeding the blue gill and sunfish the last few days. They are really coming into the feed well. Lots of fun.

Attached Images
June 21 Cole jumping off of dock.jpg June 21 Shan and kids playing.JPG Pond on Fathers Day June 21.JPG June 21 Shan and kids kayak.jpg
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Nice work.

R
R
Great memories in the making!

B
OP Offline
B
Did a little brush hogging and mowing. Still can't believe how clean the water is. It is great for playing and swimming but may be a little clean for fishing 3-4' visibility at the time. I have been hand feeding our blue gill and sunfish every night. I really enjoy watching them feed. We haven't cast a lure at them yet but may start soon.

Attached Images
pond June 24.JPG
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Very nice

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
Fingerling
Fingerling
J
Just read through this thread you did A wonderful job..theirs nothing like watching youngsters around A pond...

B
OP Offline
B
Spent the 4th of July weekend hanging around the pond. We had a bunch of family and friends over. The kids really enjoyed swimming, kayaking and rafting. It reassured me that I did the right thing by building the pond. I enjoy seeing everyone having fun. I let the boys fish the morning of July 4th. The BG were chomping and the boys had a ball.

Thank you everyone for all of the kind words.

Attached Images
July 4 Overview.JPG July 3 at sunset.JPG July 4 Cole Bluegill.jpg Rider July 4 bg.jpg
D
D
Teach em to hunt/fish and be outdoors and you won't have to hunt your kids! Awesome, you don't need reassurance, your doing it right! And I'm not talking just your pond! Great seeing FAMILY do things together!!

Hats off to you and your whole family.
Doug

Last edited by Drahts; 07/06/15 11:15 AM.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Hats off +1

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
S
S
Everything looks great!

Great job.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
wow...love the pano pictures...
grass/pasture looks nice & thick around pond.
beautiful place bowfishersmith

Fishing has never been about the fish....

B
OP Offline
B
It has been a pretty frustrating few weeks. We had a lot of rain this spring and early summer, which filled up our new pond pretty quick. Once the rain stopped and the water leveled out we have found some pretty severe leaks. I know some of it could be normal but I have at least two spots that are running like a water hose out of the side of the dam. I have food plots that are getting flooded out because of all of the leakage. It has now dropped 10-12" in a weeks time. The contractor is going to do what he can to take care of it, he is a great guy and very reputable in our area. But it just frustrates me! But big deal...life is good! I hate to complain about a water leak.

Attached Images
dock July 19.JPG
Last edited by bowfishersmith; 07/23/15 02:02 PM.
Mine finally got full also. I'm going up tonight to see how much it's dropped. I hope not much. Please let me know what your contractor says and does. Hope you get it stopped.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
T
T
Originally Posted By: bowfishersmith
It has been a pretty frustrating few weeks. We had a lot of rain this spring and early summer, which filled up our new pond pretty quick. Once the rain stopped and the water leveled out we have found some pretty severe leaks. I know some of it could be normal but I have at least two spots that are running like a water hose out of the side of the dam. I have food plots that are getting flooded out because of all of the leakage. It has now dropped 10-12" in a weeks time. The contractor is going to do what he can to take care of it, he is a great guy and very reputable in our area. But it just frustrates me! But big deal...life is good! I hate to complain about a water leak.
I also put my heart and soul into our pond build, I still have nightmares of it being empty from a leak. I hope that you can get the leak resolved quick and cheap. There are,new products out there that I would try before I drained it. Best of luck!

Edit: In looking back over your dam build I see no photos of a core trench and no compacting rollers? Did the contractor core trench the dams? Did you have clay soil? Did you compact?

Edit#2: I do see a compacting roller but still no photos of a core trench.

Last edited by ToddM; 07/27/15 04:16 PM.
B
OP Offline
B
I really don't know the names of the equipment. I do know that he put in a core trench because I was asking about why the trench was there and he explained to me about its purpose. He is confident that we can take care of the major leaks. He is willing to re-do if necessary. We do not plan on draining at this point. He said this project had more clay than any other project that he has ever been on. Very little rock, but also very little top soil since it was mostly clay, good for pond but not good for top dressing the dam. I am certain he will take care of it. But he is so busy right now that it may be a little while before he can get to it. So for now I just watch it drop lower and lower.

I like the term of putting your heart and soul into it. Don't get me wrong, ponds are a lot of money but the heart and soul is what makes it hurt so much.

S
S
Just curious, are the leaks at the base of the dam, or up on the side of the dam?

The reason I ask is, if the leak is at the base the water could be coming under the dam under or through the core trench. If the leak is higher up on the side of the dam, it is more likely that the lifts of soil were too much at a time with inadequate compaction and the water is flowing through the dam horizontally.

A seep I would not be as concerned about as it might heal itself. But something like "running out like a garden hose" does not sound good at all. That much flow can cause erosion and cause the problem to get worse with time rather than better.

At least your contractor is planning on taking care of it, which is a good deal. Always nice when a person backs up his work.

John

B
OP Offline
B
snrub,
One is around my cattle watering pipe. But the other two are near the top 4th of the dam. My contractor even commented that the clay was so good that it may be a compaction issue. So I think you are right. Due to weather coming in they were in a hurry to complete it and now we are paying for it. But I am certain he will take care of it. Just delays the outcome that much longer.

Last edited by bowfishersmith; 07/27/15 06:42 PM.
I'm glad your contractor is going to stand behind his work. I didn't have great clay, and I had a lot of rock.. Plus I was the contractor.. My neighbor was on one of the dozers. I depended on him for advice, and paid him well, but it's on me if I have a leak..
Are you still getting rain? We are, up by New London..

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
B
OP Offline
B
We got a little rain on Friday but nothing since. Hopefully we can get a shower or two, at least enough to water my fruit trees.

S
S
The cattle watering pipe likely had some sort of anti-seep collar (one or two of them) around the pipe to keep water from following the pipe and causing a leak. It can be tricky getting proper compaction around the collar as it usually has to mostly be done by hand. I know the two we put in around my overflow pipe were a PIA. A water source pipe for a cattle water source would be lower in the dam and subject to higher head pressure so even more critical to get it installed right.

I have heard (I'm no expert, just a farmer with some construction equipment) that the ideal dam material is not pure clay, but the proper mix of both clay and soil. The reason being clay has such high shrink/swell ratio that it can crack if it dries out too much.

When we were building our dam we used a ruber tired scraper for compaction. Not the perfect implement, because the smooth tires can cause the compaction in layers, whereas a sheepsfoot roller has the sheepsfeet to knead and knit the layers of clay together. In our case the dam was designed with a "bench" for bank erosion control that was supposed to be 5' wide. It ended up more like 10' wide and we ended up making it a road along side the water instead of what it was originally designed for (we used crushed rock along the bank for shore line erosion control so the "bench" became redundant). The point I am trying to make is that our dam is at least 5' thicker than the original design parameters and the original design was pretty robust to begin with. We did it ourselves with a 12 yard scraper pulled by a Challenger track tractor and a Cat D6N XL that we own for our farm use. Needless to say, as we learned to build a pond, we hauled a lot more dirt around than I would have ever been able to afford a contractor to do. The dam is robust, so even if we screwed up a little with compaction layers, there was adequate over build to take care of it. It is dry as a bone on the back side.

Any way, wishing you the best on getting it fixed.

John

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday