Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,088
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Sunil, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE), 790 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
What would be considered an acceptable mortality rate after stocking? We stocked 150 2-4" RES last Friday (6/26) and all initially survived. Bags were inflated with O2 and were floated in pond for 15-20 minutes then pond water was added a little at a time over 15 minutes. All fish were lively and swam out of the bags. Fish farm is 35 minutes away. Water temp in bags while packing at farm was 67.5F, pond surface temp was 78F, and pond bottom was 70F. There were 75 RES per bag. As of this afternoon we have 25 dead, should I consider this acceptable and should I wait a few weeks and purchase more to bring the numbers back up? Thank you in advance.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
17% sounds a bit high to me, but with this weird summer (water quality) it's hard to tell.

Ideally you want the water temp between the water that the fish are in, and the pond water to be within 5 degrees, and not do a rapid temp change. The better the condition of the fish, the hardier they are, and will take more of a temp swing. Not only temp, it's pH, and salinity too.

If the fish in the bags look stressed when they hit the pond water to temper them, then it's better to dump them into the pond than to try and temper them even more (at least that's the way that I feel).

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
OP Offline
B
esshup, thanks. Valid points on weird summer. We were down 2.5 feet and then all the rain came and now the pipe has been running for 4 days. I was concerned about the temp difference which is why I tempered them longer. Outside temp was above 70 which I didn't like either but happened to be one of the few cloudy under 80 days. I think I will pay more attention if I get more and dump them like you said if they start to look stressed. Thanks again.

S
S
You might also ask the fish farm the same question. They might offer replacements.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Ben this has happened to me, I may have become a little indolent on acclimation prior to releasing. Sometimes after a long drive hauling fish I was kinda like - whatever, I just need to get home - if they make it they make it. Other times my intentions were good, but I just missed and lost a few fish. These events all have something in common - it was during high temp periods and I was at the controls.

Water chemistry and temp differences can claim fish during stocking, especially in warmer temps. I would not personally stress over losing those RES - if they were in good shape upon purchase and release it sounds like the hatchery held up their end of things - you may have just suffered a little TJ episode. Not all TJ episodes involve losing fish [ie: tannerite and cocktails], however, so hang in there.

Sorry if I've missed it, but what are your goals for this fishery? I'd love to read all about your plans.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

B
OP Offline
B
snrub, thanks. I will probably talk to them when I go get more later in the summer/fall.

TJ, well good to know I am not the only one, it can be quite frustrating. I think next time I will wait until the temps get lower (ie spring or fall) before stocking. Not that I have any planned for summer but sometimes it works out that way. I forgot that I haven't posted my goals or plan. The great and wonderful Bill Cody was kind enough to help me through a majority of it. I will get another post up regarding our stocking plan. Thanks again!

Ben

Lunker
Lunker
Oh ye Gods, I just read your stocking plan on another post. Take a guess at my reaction?
His stocking plan;
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=32122&Number=417466#Post417466

Follow Bill's direction to the letter, you have a chance to create something very very special. Congratulations, a fishery after my own heart.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/02/15 02:25 PM.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
10 to 15 % is not abnormal. 5% is average.

B
B
I would wonder how you know you only lost 25. I say this because...when I picked up 7 lbs of FHM locally, they put very little water in with them. I think floating them made my losses worse, due to the higher water temp at the surface. It was two bags, one fuller than the other. I think i lost about a quarter of that bag. Came out two hours later and all the dead were gone (probably birds).

Sean

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I personally consider 2% mortality in good conditions to be normal...5% common when water OR air temps are over 75. Some species like crappie, you can lose all of in water or air temps over 60.

Most hatcheries build in the losses with "extras", but since you said the fish swam away and looked lively, I would suspect improper handling and stress during tempering and acclimation was the culprit. 3" RES (or most panfish that size) can be pretty fragile too. 4" and larger are a LOT more forgiving.

FWIW in my limited stocking experience (It is only an hour drive from the fish farm), I will only stock quantities of purchased fish in cool weather. I have only lost three FHM that I know of and they were kinda smashed. Now, if I run across an outstanding fish while fishing a local BOW in warm weather, I try bringing them home. About 80% survival in an aerated bucket in warm weather.

BTW my fish farm will not sell gamefish in the heat of summer. They only sell spring and fall.

Last edited by Bill D.; 07/02/15 08:57 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks TJ, I was quite excited about it when talking to Bill during the development. The only thing I veered from on Bill's recommendation was when to stock the YP. We would have stocked them in the Spring like he suggested but I thought we had water quality problems so I missed the opportunity with a specific YP supplier. I guess you cannot win them all.

Boburk, I have no idea if I lost more or not but I don't know what I don't know. I would assume you are correct about losing more but I would not even know where to begin on quantifying that so I stick with what I found. Maybe Rainman has a suggestion or formula on mortality of the unseen based on the seen?

Rainman, thanks. Every single one was alive and well on release. I am MORE than confident it was improper handling as my help (kids) tend to be a little rough. I am not willing to ban them from the process so I will just have to accept some dead fish. They know we have 25 dead RES so maybe on the next round we can calm them down a bit if they know it can harm the fish.

IMHO I think fall stocking is better than spring stocking from a survivability standpoint. My rationale is the fish are in the best shape possible after a summer of feeding so they are nice and fat, vs limited food intake over the winter and skinny fish for spring stocked fish but, I am not a pro. Just my 1.5 cents. smile

Last edited by Bill D.; 07/02/15 09:29 PM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Lunker
Lunker
Spring fish are often almost age 1 runts/inferiors from previous year recruitment - per ol' wise Cody. Everyone, keep that in mind...a YP or SMB should not be 3" in the Spring. You're only doing the hatchery a favor by clearing tanks of his problem fish.

Ben, you're doing great here, and losing a few fish is a tiny investment in involving your kiddos. Great memories, they now have stock in this project through sweat equity and will enjoy it for generations to come. Well done, and keep us in the loop.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I agree, the memories that the kids will carry with them are worth countless fish. I wouldn't care how many I lost if they have a good time and it builds their interest in the outdoors vs. an electronic screen.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Agree with TJ and Bill on the size/runts (up north) but not always in the south as it depends.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday