Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,810
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
5 members (Sunil, Theo Gallus, teehjaeh57, Boondoggle, TLL), 1,132 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#417593 07/03/15 12:02 PM
B
Boburk Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Stocked my pond Saturday (about a week ago). Among other fish, was 8 HSB. Saw this guy today when feeding.

Should be no larger fish in the pond. Pond was dry a couple months ago. Looks like it has been picked at. Not sure if it was picked at because it was sick, or sick because it was picked at, or if it has some other problem. I see schools of tilapia, and minnows. So I don't think it is a water problem.

Just "one of those thing", or is it something to worry about?

Any input welcome...

Thanks.

Last edited by Boburk; 07/03/15 09:17 PM.
Lunker
Lunker
That LMB looks a little rough, are there more LMB present?

B
Boburk Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Well...it's supposed to be a HSB...at least that is what I asked for and paid for. There are a total of 8 in my pond, which is a little more than an 8th of an acre.

From what I was told, the pond is too small for them to breed...so wouldn't think it is breeding damage. And they have only been in there for a week.

Sean

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Uh-oh.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
C
C
You got took! That is a lmb!!

C
C
Did they say it was a f1? Because that is a common reference for the northern-Florida cross of lmb. Although I still wouldn't call it a hybrid. Also they will spawn in a bathtub.

Last edited by Cray; 07/03/15 04:41 PM. Reason: Adding info
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Boburk
Well...it's supposed to be a HSB...at least that is what I asked for and paid for. There are a total of 8 in my pond, which is a little more than an 8th of an acre.

From what I was told, the pond is too small for them to breed...so wouldn't think it is breeding damage. And they have only been in there for a week.

Sean
Are you sure you were not "gifted" one female LMB to help control over population of your BG?
This is common control pactice in my HSB/CNBG pond.
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

B
Boburk Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Well...I don't have a whole lot of pics of the fish...before release....so don't know how many I got like this....they were in with the tilapia...

So...looks like I didn't get what I asked for? Let me go see if I can find the reciept and make sure of what it says... But I know what I asked for...and even showed him a list of what I wanted. This was from overton's...guess I wasted a 10 hour day and $70 in gas...

The plan was to get HSB so they would not breed in my little pond. Can LMB breed at 6 inches long?

Sean

Last edited by Boburk; 07/03/15 05:53 PM.
G
Lunker
Lunker
G

Well...I don't have a whole lot of pics of the fish...before release....so don't know how many I got like this....they were in with the tilapia...

So...looks like I didn't get what I asked for? Let me go see if I can find the reciept and make sure of what it says... But I know what I asked for...and even showed him a list of what I wanted. This was from overton's...guess I wasted a 10 hour day and $70 in gas...

The plan was to get HSB so they would not breed in my little pond. Can LMB breed at 6 inches long?

Sean

OK...25 HBG, and seven more pounds of minnows today...and I am done. Now it's time to wait...threw a dozen or so pellets out yesterday, with no action. I will try again tomorrow.

Sean

Sean, who did you purchase your HBG from?
Overton does not handle HBG, IIRC.
Please do not be offended - I have tried to help you on earlier thread, but I don’t think it is fair to place blame until more facts are known.
Best,
George

Last edited by george1; 07/03/15 06:57 PM.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Could the LMB have come in with some high water, or an over eager neighbor with a bucket?

B
Boburk Offline OP
OP Offline
B
George, the HBG were small. Small enough that I feared they may just be food for the bass. Nothing that large in with them. The large fish were in the tilapia bag from Overton's. The bass and tilapia mixed together.

Sprkplug, I live on two acres on the edge of town. Back yard has a 5 ft tall fence around it (1.5 acres). The only ponds I know of near me are below mine. Mine is fed from runoff. There is a drainage ditch (normally dry) that catches rain from the church next door and my yard. We have lived here since 2008. I have never seen any fish in the pond...and it was dry a couple months ago.

I planned on asking questions, etc, when I got to Overton's (about food, aeration, if I could get 100 CNBG instead of the 60 I got. etc) but when I got there all I saw was two Hispanics. One that only spoke Spanish while I was there, and the other that didn't seem too interested.

In hindsight, I wish i had taken more pictures, but the bass were in with 4lbs of tilapia, so I don't think pics of the bag would have shown anything.

Anything is possible I guess, but I fear my 8 HSB are actually 8 LMB. I have been In contact with Overton's, but don't think I will know for sure until next spring when we start fishing it.

Sean

Last edited by Boburk; 07/04/15 09:22 AM.
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Hello Boburk very sorry for your problem. I take quality control very seriously, but I can't be everywhere all the time to oversee things, and I am sorry if my guys let one slip through.

Our HSB pond has very very very few fingerling LMB present, and they get beat up when we harvest HSB from the pond. Actually these few LMB get so beat up in this process that they are not intended for stocking, and are normally easy to spot and remove when we net your fish. The HSB that you purchased were 8-10", and I can verify the size. If you received an accidental beat up LMB with your HSB then I apologize, and surely it was only one fish since you purchased 8 HSB. Hopefully you removed it from your pond, and if not, it looks like it will die anyway. In my opinion, there is no chance that you received 8 LMB instead of the HSB. I simply to not have a vat of beat up LMB fingerlings that could have been mistaken for HSB, even by my hispanic employees.

I will insist that you did not "get taken", that you did not waste your time and money, that this was an accident (not intended), and that you did receive most if not all of the HSB that you intended to stock.

Our customer service department can be reached by calling my cell phone direct at 979-571-9481. I encourage you to call or text me direct with your problems or concerns. I may not catch every call, but I will get back to you. This line is open for everybody.

P.S. I am not sure where HBG got inserted into this thread. We have not been stocking any of these fish.

It's ALL about the fish!
B
Boburk Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Todd (??), I didn't remove it because I didn't realize it was not a HSB. I am new to all this. If you look how this thread started...I was asking if I need to do something about my sick HSB...or if it was just "normal loss."

I went back out to look for it after the folks here informed me it was a LMB...not a HSB...and did not see it.

Are you saying the HSB did the damage, or the harvesting process did it? I guess I am wondering if the HSB don't like LMB, and if so, if they will finish the job (kill it).

Also, are you saying you think I got the 8 HSB I paid for AND this one? I guess I don't understand why they would do that.

I will add your number to my phone. I never catch her name, but have been texting with the lady with the 940 area code. She is the one that answered a week ago when I called the number listed on your website as your number (903-322-2626), and is whose recommendation I followed (other than adding the HBG...they were recommended here, to give kids something easy to catch). The HBG were picked up locally..but were about 1.5-2.5 inches long...so if the bass are eating fish, i figure most were bass food.

Goals for stocking was to get rid of the mosquitoes and to give kids (and me) something to catch. That is what led to the recommendation for HBG.

Sean

Last edited by Boburk; 07/04/15 12:44 AM.
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Yes this is Todd. The harvesting process with rough and rowdy HSB did the damage and if you saw it struggling around the pond then it is doomed. Dont worry about it.

A single banged up LMB from same vat with HSB could have ended up in your bucket of 8 HSBs by accident. I will tell the guys to be more careful, and I will make sure they know about your report. In my mind this is the only explanation. If you have more questions or would like to discuss then please call my cell phone.

It's ALL about the fish!
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
It's refreshing to actually know the real-life explanations once in awhile. No guessing about unforeseen high water events, anglers with a bucket, or fish transporting birds. Nothing nefarious at all. A simple, human mistake.

Sounds like no damage whatsoever, so all is good.

Originally Posted By: sprkplug
It's refreshing to actually know the real-life explanations once in awhile. No guessing about unforeseen high water events, anglers with a bucket, or fish transporting birds. Nothing nefarious at all. A simple, human mistake....

Tony, honesty in dealing with incidents like this is one of the many reasons so many of us down here are so loyal to Todd.

As his tagline says, "It's All about the fish!", and he doesn't take that statement lightly.

AL

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Todd Overton is a good man!
G/

T
T
I made a trip to Overtons because I wanted to add some RES to my pond and while I was there, I picked up some additional FHM's, all were packaged separately according to the type of fish. The Spanish guys were there and were very helpful in dumping some trash out of the back of my pickup (making room for my fish) and with loading sks of fish food and fish. They were there to please. smile With all the fish they handle, I can see how something might slip through the cracks, so to speak.

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
B
Boburk Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Was feeding the fish a couple weeks ago...and saw this thing swim by...

Then it happened again yesterday. So...I hung out on the peer today watching. Sorry for the crappy video (actually two videos), but is it?

Sean

Last edited by Boburk; 09/03/15 09:48 PM.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Certainly looks like a bass to me? How big, about 2 lbs.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Boburk Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I didn't know what a HSB looked like when I started all this back in June. I did some googling and do now...

It has been close to 20 years, but I used to catch LMB when I was stationed in NC. It was the vertical dark stripe on their tail that I used to recognize them when fishing for them. I have no idea how many other bass look the same while in the water (I don't think I have ever caught any bass other than LMB).

Anyhow, while watching this fish swim around, it swam off SE. Shortly after it disappeared I thought i saw another NE of me. Small pond, so until I see more than one at once, I won't know for sure...but if these are LMB it looks like i will be having LMB in my pond instead of HSB...

Sean

Last edited by Boburk; 09/03/15 10:38 PM.
R
RER Offline
R
Fish it out...
Toss a live minnow on a hook in front of it or try artificial....

All is not loss, just get after it and remove it.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
RER #422987 09/04/15 07:55 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Or a whole live nightcrawler just hooked once thru the middle. Bare hook, no weight or bobber.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
RER #422996 09/04/15 09:07 AM
B
Boburk Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: BobbyRice
Fish it out...
Toss a live minnow on a hook in front of it or try artificial....

All is not loss, just get after it and remove it.

Originally Posted By: esshup
Or a whole live nightcrawler just hooked once thru the middle. Bare hook, no weight or bobber.

I saw what I thought was a LMB a couple weeks ago when feeding. I planned on getting the minnow trap out this weekend. Catch a few tilapia fingerlings and try them as bait. After seeing what I videoed yesterday...I feel I have LMB instead of HSB (if the one that was swimming on its side when this thread started was doomed, and this is a different one...that makes at least 25% LMB...small pond, only stocked 8).

I guess what I am trying to do now is figure out what to do. If they are all LMB...do I try to fish them out? Leave them and change my management plan? If it is just one, that is if I go fishing and catch a HSB, just leave it be? If I catch a LMB, get rid of it or take a pic and release...catch another, do the same...so i can compare to see if it is different fish, or the same one again...??

If they are LMB and I leave them, then what? What do i take out next year? The original stockers or their young? Do I need to change what else is in the pond?

I really believe this pond will be dead again within a couple years due to our on-again off-again draughts. So not really worried..little frustrated in the possibily of not getting what I asked for and paid for though (whether its 2 or all 8). Also looked forward to catching the HSB...which may not happen now.

I have contacted todd.

Sean

Last edited by Boburk; 09/04/15 09:29 AM.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I don't see the video? Does it show a LMB or HSB? Unsure what Dave is saying when he says it looks like a bass?

Oops, got it...hard to tell, but it sure looks like a LMB to me?

Last edited by sprkplug; 09/04/15 09:31 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM