Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#417632 07/03/15 10:01 PM
A
OP Offline
A
I am considering purchasing a piece of property and have been investigating the possibility of building a pond.

I had my topo map and soil survey ready when I met with the county NRCS agent. The creek bed only flows when it rains, but is is a blue line stream on the map. He saw that 2.2 acres of the soil where I would like to build the pond is Melvin soil. Apparently this is a hydric? soil which mean this location is likely classified as a wetland.

What are my options here? Does this mean I won't be able to legally build a pond?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Aby, welcome to the site. Seems ta me that is a ? the agent should have answered for ya.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
A
OP Offline
A
Thank you sir. The NRCS agent is researching the matter for me, but he didn't sound hopeful.

I have been trying to do my own research. I believe farm ponds are exempt from state environmental regulation in TN, but I will still have to deal with the Corps of Engineers if it is indeed a wetland.

The NRCS man warned me not to talk to the state environmental agency because it would put me on their radar. How should I go about determining if the site in question is a wetland?

J
J
I don't have an answer for you but sometimes this stuff is crazy. In my case I considered building a wild life pond with the state helping with the expense. It could be only 7 feet deep but some of the cost would be paid by the state. A half dozen farmers that somehow was on the permission board came out and looked, and with me even pleading said NO. So at my expense I took 5 1/2 acres out of my field and built what they rejected but 10 feet deep instead of 7. I ditched a rout to drain the water from one field to support another smaller pond besides my main one and planted the whole area into a kind of preserve for wild life. So I built what they denied me at my expense and added a wetland wildlife to the states wildlife area's.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I built 2 of my wetlands after being told the soil would not hold water. They actually support fish and have been pretty wet for about a decade. I gave up on getting financial support from Indiana. I do have a beautiful wetland that INDOT built as a mitigation for one that they destroyed. I have a second one near that one that they built rather than be accepting payment for the first one.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Aby, you're new here and from the south so I understand your politeness. However as you continue to visit it will become obvious that I am certainly not a sir.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
The new "Waters of the United States Rule" which goes into affect Aug 28, 2015 will greatly expand EPA/Corps of Engineers' control of waters under the Clean Waters Act. The rule allows a very broad interpretation of all waters that might be considered possible or potential tributaries to wetland areas. 22 states are contesting this new rule in court.

T
T
Originally Posted By: squeeky
The new "Waters of the United States Rule" which goes into affect Aug 28, 2015 will greatly expand EPA/Corps of Engineers' control of waters under the Clean Waters Act. The rule allows a very broad interpretation of all waters that might be considered possible or potential tributaries to wetland areas. 22 states are contesting this new rule in court.

I could say so many things here, so I will say it sucks "it just sucks" how the epa can over reach

Tracy

Last edited by TGW1; 07/04/15 09:37 AM. Reason: additions

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
This rule will only help the Republican party get elected to more public offices, whether defeated or not in court. Now all they need are candidates that advocate for positions supported by science. BTW - I am an independent.

S
S
The really dangerous thing about the EPA to an individual land owner is they can send you a determination of violation several years after the fact. A person may not know he has done anything wrong for several years. Then if they want to make an example out of you, the fines can be many thousands of dollars a day for every day the project is in violation of the law. Might as well hand them the key to the place if they really want to push all the fines they have the authority to administer.

By crucifying an occasional person, they use fear tactics to keep everyone else afraid to do anything with their property.

They have way too broad authority, way too much power, and an individual rarely has the power or deep pockets to fight them even when the landowner is in the right.

Determinations of being out of compliance with the law can come from aerial photographs without an agent even visiting with the landowner. Then it is guilty until proven innocent.

They need their budget cut about 80 percent. The only way to kill a beast that big is to starve it.

Last edited by snrub; 07/04/15 12:57 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: snrub
The really dangerous thing about the EPA to an individual land owner is they can send you a determination of violation several years after the fact. A person may not know he has done anything wrong for several years. Then if they want to make an example out of you, the fines can be many thousands of dollars a day for every day the project is in violation of the law. Might as well hand them the key to the place if they really want to push all the fines they have the authority to administer.

By crucifying an occasional person, they use fear tactics to keep everyone else afraid to do anything with their property.

They have way too broad authority, way too much power, and an individual rarely has the power or deep pockets to fight them even when the landowner is in the right.

Determinations of being out of compliance with the law can come from aerial photographs without an agent even visiting with the landowner. Then it is guilty until proven innocent.

They need their budget cut about 80 percent. The only way to kill a beast that big is to starve it.

"Can", or have???

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
S
S
Have. Numerous times. It hits the news services occasionally. If it is a big enough stink organizations supporting property rights get involved, sometimes legislators, to get the EPA to back down. Then it happens again at some later point. Been watching it happen for a number of years.

If you want examples there are quite plenty enough, but this probably not the proper place to go down that road.

John

S
S
I don't want to clutter up this pond forum with lots of examples sprkplug, but if you are really interested just do a google search with something like "EPA fines small property owner for violations" and it will get you started. Keep in mind all that will come up likely are the ones that fetch national attention. Many of the ones that get settled are never contested and no one but maybe the neighbors hear about them.

John

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I have, back when this first came up. No worries.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
T
T
snrub I agree. The fact of the matter is, most everything this administration has done is an over reach. I could name many, but like you said, this may not be the place.

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images