Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,999
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
8 members (FishinRod, Fishingadventure, Deancutler, JoshMI, Joe7328, BamaBass9, Bigtrh24, Bobbss), 1,399 guests, and 370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41739 07/15/07 09:36 AM
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Maybe you have some solution I can try. Since we put our pond in last July I have managed to train TRUMP, our dog, in some areas. When I say "let's go feed the fish"--he understands that he cannot go in water but has to come by me on dock and watch the fish for 30 minutes. When we would fish the dog would immediately jump in the water after the line/bobber. He's gotten better. He has been watching Mark fish for awhile now and has gotten 'smart'--he no longer goes in the water but stands on the side of Mark and watches the line and know when Mark has caught a fish. Poor hubby, has to hold the line up to retrieve the fish and throw back in the water which then goes the dog in the water after the fish. The answer we have to to always 'tie' the dog up to a post but he cries like a baby watching us fish or boat as he wants to be with us. Anyone, has a suggestion of what I can do to make him not want the fish--I'm shorter than my hubby the dog 'TRUMP' will get the fish. Dot

Lunker
Lunker
There's a pond across the road from my farm where I used to try and catch fish. I caught 3 or 4 Labrador Retrievers for every BG, and gave up going there.

Remote control shocker collars are really good at providing an aversion stimulus when you're watching to provide it. I think I'd want to train the dog to react to them BEFORE he had a chance to get them wet in the pond.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Theo is on it. Some folks think shock collars are cruel. My wife used to be in that camp, not for long though. Hogwash; it is amazing how quick they learn this way. For instance you dog goes in the street if he comes back to you are you then going to scold him, they don't get it that way. Postivie reforcement is difficult to prevnt it. However shock = "street bad". For my lab that has duck hunted with 50 times or more. I shocked him maybe 15 in his life. It is very useful when used properly.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Greg,
Agreed!
I have brand new two year old lab that needs some "training".
Any ideas on types and prices of a good shock collar?

Thanks,
Ed

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
It has been awhile since I bought mine. Went off advice of dog trainer and got a tritronics model. It has 7 levels of "training". Still in use 7 years later.

It has been fun at parties as well. After a few beers amazing what you will do for fun.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Having 5 labs and having done a little training, this is a topic that I feel I can contribute toward. I definitely think shock collars have their place, but I think it also depends on the dog. Like humans, some dogs are more sensitive to punishment and scolding. One lab I've never shocked...a few words to let her know I'm displeased is enough to reverse any habit she's had. Another one is still getting shocked at 4 years old, and it's working SLOWLY but surely. I'd adjust the punishment according to the dog's nature, not just according to what I want to get them to do.

Greg is right- shock collar is immediate correction, whereas scolding after the fact is not as effective. That being said, the dog needs to know why he/she is being shocked so they know what behavior to correct.

Ed- IIRC, shock collar are like anything else--there are many varieties in a bigger price range that I could have imagined. Depending on how fancy you want to get, you can get reliable ones at reasonable prices.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Thanks guys for the advice.

As mentioned we picked up a lab that I believe has potential as a fair bird dog.

Dog was doomed for the pound as it was in town, had its run of the community, and lacked any kind of decipline.
Seems smart enough and has taken to me as its owner.
First time in the country she wants to run deer, rabbits and anything else that runs.

Needs basic obedience training and maybe a little shock work to stop her wild runs on game and other critters.

Any advice appreciated.
Ed

Lunker
Lunker
Ed:

We have the cheapest model Cabela's had with remote control; it was about $150. IIRC range is listed as 300 yards, there are 7 levels of shock setting plus a "reminder" setting that just plays the buzzer tone that accompanies the shock. I like that reminder setting; after training it's just as effective.

We got it about 4 years ago and it probably saved the life of our half-Lab/half-Coon Hound cross (if she didn't start coming when called, my wife was going to kill her). The system is now on it's second dog, having gotten much less use (so far) on our Cardigan Welsh Corgi. The interesting thing is when we tone the Cardigan, the Lab hears the tone and beats her back to us! GOOOD doggie!

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Greg, slow down on the hootch. Wendy could really have fun house breaking you.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
Here is a picture of my youngest dog "pointing" BG that wanted to get back to sitting on their beds. \:D I am still working on teaching her not to go "bobbing for pellets" when the fish are getting fed.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Well, bobbing for pellets beats bobbing for bobbers, which my ole cocker does. \:\)

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Ed -- my buddy and I use the Innotek collars. I don't know that they are any better than others for reliability. However, that company has been GREAT when it comes time to stand behind their warranty. Both of us have had receivers (the collar part) fail, and both times the companies sent us new ones (you do have to save the purchase receipt). The transmitters (hand held) have never caused us any problems. We're hard on the equipment -- water, many days of use, etc.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Your suggestions are great. We are already have the underground thing and if I remember right, I may just be able to buy the remote and give it a try. I don't know which is the worse of two evils--no fish or him crying. Let you know how it goes. \:\)

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Thanks again.

Theo - I never would have thought about the "buzzer" tone. Seams like a great idea, I really don't want to zap her for each minor mistake. But those quarter mile runs on deer are frustrating.

Dave - Water eh? This dog is rather partial to water. Hope these units are water resistent.

Ed

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Ed - it wouldn't hurt to check with more of the lab folks, but our pointing dogs are constantly in and out of the water. Either ponds during hot sharptail/prairie chicken hunts, or all the marshes during pheasant hunting. There is an o-ring on the battery compartment, and it does work. No corrosion inside, and my transmitter must be at least 7 years old now.

Mine is set so the "first" level of stimulation is just the buzzer. That's far better than yelling or blowing the darn whistle. My blood pressure is way down. If my dogs don't respond to the buzzer these days, I usually go and check on them as they usually have a bird. If the buzzer doesn't do it, then a "two" gets them to remember about me. \:\) I never use the "three" or "four" at all.

Can I brag a bit? My nephew won the Wyoming high school bull riding championship. He's off to the nationals next week.

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Congrats to your nephew, Dave!
Bull riding is no easy task, and to win WY State Championship is extraordinary!

Ed

Lunker
Lunker
Congrats! I just finished reading "Fried Twinkies, Buckle Bunnies, and Bull Riders" by Josh Peters. Brings back to mind the good ole days of the PBR, before NBC (the TV folks, not the Nebraska Book Company) ruined the TV coverage.

-S. M. Stirling
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Theo -- you never cease to amaze me with the breadth of your interests. We were serious fans of PBR in the "good ole days" but never watch any more.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
First, Yes, you can brag. \:\) Bull riding--humm...I had some friends in Colorado and Wyoming that did that...neat but dangerous but those that do it love it. Congratulations to him and good luck at the Nationals. \:\)

I thought about rolling up newspaper and swatting the dog but I don't think it would work (worked when he was a little puppy). Hec, he won't leave Mark's side for his favorite 'cheese' treat or even ME who he was highly protective of. I may try a couple of ideas and if nothing works get another collar to beep at him.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 05:13 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM