Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,083
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Theo Gallus, BillyE, Sunil, Requa, Jason D, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn), 758 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#417337 07/01/15 03:28 PM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
is on the counter. First day of the month, too.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Mine came Tuesday

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Jul-Aug arrived in NW OH Wed 01-Jul-15.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
I was looking for a place to post this....I just recently became a subscriber to PB magazine, and was promptly sent the May/June issue. It was fantastic! I honestly sat down that evening and read it cover to cover. I even read through the 'fine print' stuff in the beginning (listing editors, etc) and found a lot of really funny (humorous) writing tucked in there.

Just wanted to say 'thanks!' to all the PB staff and contributors! Looking forward to my Jul-Aug issues arrival.

"Politics": derived from 'poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Originally Posted By: DrLuke
I was looking for a place to post this....I just recently became a subscriber to PB magazine, and was promptly sent the May/June issue. It was fantastic! I honestly sat down that evening and read it cover to cover. I even read through the 'fine print' stuff in the beginning (listing editors, etc) and found a lot of really funny (humorous) writing tucked in there.

Just wanted to say 'thanks!' to all the PB staff and contributors! Looking forward to my Jul-Aug issues arrival.

A person that reads PBM cover to cover in one sitting is our kind of people!!

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
I have been surprised and happy to find that 'pondmeisters' are MY kind of people... I just had to become the steward of a 2 acre pond to realize it..

"Politics": derived from 'poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
Mine just got here.

George, is there any chance that's a CBLMB in the TX Hunter ad?

AL

Same here. Way early for me. I noticed this time there is a paper address label. In the past, my address was printed directly on the plastic. Maybe the paper label speeded things up some by being more readable by the automatic mail handling readers?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Mine just got here.

George, is there any chance that's a CBLMB in the TX Hunter ad?

Yep, a big 8 lb fatty Camelot Bell LMB mama full of eggs. cool

Todd maybe wanted me in that picture because I bought one of the very first TH feeders.. smile

G/

Last edited by george1; 07/06/15 05:50 PM.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Nice Cammie!!!

...when in doubt...set the hook...
Got mine today..

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Today - great issue !

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Still MIA.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
T
I have been reading this forum quite frequently for the last few years. I so enjoy reading it that it's become a daily deal for me. Is there a place to "get a taste" of pond boss magazine to see if I'd like it? Some places will have a few back issues that you can see a few select past articles to get "a taste". Also seeing the back issues complete table of contents is nice to see the different subjects covered.

How much is the subscription to the magazine?

Is it even better than this forum?

Are all areas of the country covered or is focused on southern ponds? I like trout and cold water fish so I wouldn't want to read about bass all the time.

I just got a new pond, I made it twice because I aint so bright.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Yesterday!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
timshufflin - There is a free issue of PBoss magazine to download on the Home Page.
http://www.pondboss.com/
Subscriptions are $35.00/yr for 6 isssues.

If you peruse the Subjects in the Common Pond Q&A Archives section, I have created Contents for each year of publication for all the back issues. There is a Table of Contents for each issue with a short description of the article plus at the end of each year there is a fairly detailed index of all the issues for that year. I am about ready to post an index for the most recent 5 years of issues.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=22&page=1

Here are the contents for 2014.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=396230#Post396230

There is limited information about trout in the more recent issues. However several years ago (mid 1990’s) Mike Mitchell frequently wrote about trout and cold water pond/stream management. Example Jul-Aug 2006: "TO RELEASE OR NOT TO RELEASE… High Country. Mike Mitchell provides in-depth discussion for catch and release of trout and the related implications of growing large trout in small waters plus a good discussion about the differences of various hook types including barbless hooks on latent hooking mortality. Effects of fly fishing and spincast angling are discussed." There have also been articles about trout by a few other authors.

PBoss welcomes anyone to submit a draft of 'your words' article describing your pond and how it is managed. PBoss is always looking for more pond related articles. The editor (B.Lusk) helps you polish your words into a 'string of pearls' as an article for publication in the magazine. Readers look forward to reading about your pond adventures, mishaps and successes. Pictures always help tell your story.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/09/15 01:42 PM.

T
T
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
timshufflin - There is a free issue of PBoss magazine to download on the Home Page.
http://www.pondboss.com/
Subscriptions are $35.00/yr for 6 isssues.

If you peruse the Subjects in the Common Pond Q&A Archives section, I have created Contents for each year of publication for all the back issues. There is a Table of Contents for each issue with a short description of the article plus at the end of each year there is a fairly detailed index of all the issues for that year. I am about ready to post an index for the most recent 5 years of issues.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=22&page=1

There is limited information about trout in the more recent current issues. However several years ago (mid 1990’s) Mike Mitchell frequently wrote about trout and cold water pond/stream management. Example Jul-Aug 2006: TO RELEASE OR NOT TO RELEASE… High Country. Mike Mitchell provides in-depth discussion for catch and release of trout and the related implications of growing large trout in small waters plus a good discussion about the differences of various hook types including barbless hooks on latent hooking mortality. Effects of fly fishing and spincast angling are discussed.

PBoss welcomes anyone to submit a draft yours words article describing your pond and how it is managed. PBoss is always looking for more pond related articles. The editor (B.Lusk) helps you polish your works for creating an article for publication in the magazine. Readers look forward to reading about your pond adventures, mishaps and successes. Pictures always help tell your story.

Well thank you very much Bill Cody. Here the information was all this time right under my nose. I'll start reading and consider a subscription.

I already read the leech article, didn't like what I read, no way to get rid of them except sunfish was given frown I pray the leeches don't find me. Well the human kind, of course, already have.

Last edited by timshufflin; 07/09/15 01:45 PM.

I just got a new pond, I made it twice because I aint so bright.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
More information on leech control. A high dose of copper sulfate in the area where the leeches are most common can temporarily reduce their density. Copper is highly toxic to trout. See the discussion in the newsletter of the second link. I have recommended that you can put some (about 1-2 cups) of the large sized copper sulfate in a cloth bag and drag it around on the bottom where the leeches live in the swimming beech to help reduce the leeches for swimmers during the summer swim season. Note: the copper cloud will also kill lots of good invertebrates that live in the treated sediments.

Yellow perch, most panfish and trout-bass will readily eat leeches. One koi/carp will feed on invertebrates including leeches in the sediments. More than one koi are likely to spawn and cause an overpopulation of small bottom rooting koi/carp.

Leeches
http://blog.thepondguy.com/2012/07/13/my-pond-has-leeches-how-do-i-get-rid-of-them-ponds-lakes-qa/

Newsletter has a Section about Leeches
http://senr.osu.edu/sites/senr/files/imc...11vol10iss1.pdf

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/09/15 02:23 PM.

F
F
Magazine made it to the black hills today. Can't wait!

Water is the basis of all life, by design!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by Requa - 03/28/24 01:39 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images