Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,134
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
10 members (Sunil, Shorthose, J. E. Craig, Boondoggle, Bigtrh24, Freg, FishinRod, Theo Gallus, jpsdad, Bill Cody), 905 guests, and 201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Sparkster and RAH exchangin ideas.....damned, now I gotta read the rest of the posts.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I appreciate the moderators tolerance. Maybe I could spare another beer for you:)

Last edited by RAH; 06/28/15 07:20 PM.
T
T
RAH, you ever come my way and you'll have whatever you want on tap.

I just got a new pond, I made it twice because I aint so bright.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I think we are all still more aligned than than the general population. Thank you! Here comes more rain!

Last edited by RAH; 06/28/15 08:56 PM.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I'll bet we all share a common plot of ground here and there. I meant to comment on Tim's earlier post where he wrote about his neighbors not needing to contact him first before coming onto his land to collect a deer. I am the same way with my neighbors, and I appreciate the collective spirit that fosters such understanding.

I think if more showed that same type of willingness to work together, we would be much further ahead of where we are now.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: SetterGuy
There was an article in our local paper about a pond not too far from me. I've seen the pond. It looks to be about an acre. They have four aerators running in it continuously. The neighbors are complaining about the noise. Then he had a power outage, and ended up with 5,600 pounds of dead fish. He got some buried, but not all. Between the noise of the aerators, and the stench if the dead fish, this guys has some very upset neighbors.
I guess there are tractor trailers in and out of there all the time. The article said the fish are grown for export to Canada. I've seen it from the road since they started digging the pond. I've not heard or smelled anything. Guess we are far enough away..

http://westnewsmagazine.com/2015/06/23/5...he-neighborhood

Guess I'll keep my little pond and it's fishery on a somewhat smaller scale.

Mike Lisk has called me on occasion to transport fish for him. Mainly, he has Hybrid Striped Bass, but has expanded into feed trained Largemouth for the Toronto area...the market is massive there. I'll have to go see Mike and at least try to help silence his Regenerative Blowers...The whine from them is as irritating as it gets!

As for the area he is in, Wildwood is loaded with lots of overpaid city people wanting a rural lifestyle.....the type that want to see deer meandering in their front yards, and then wanting the city to shoot the same deer when flowers are eaten....I have stocked one pond there, for a friend of Blaine's, and helped another be dredged. there are plenty of farmland smells to be "enjoyed", and rotting fish is only one of them.

J
J
Just a couple of responses. Why didn't I press charges for the assault. Telling my story to the sheriff department and the sheriff walking by and saying you will be lucky if she gives you a gun permit tells you what kind of protection I was going to get from him. The sheriff showed his true colors when he wasn't going to protect me and let the kid continue to shoot into my pond area. That's the reason I called him in an earlier post a NRA type. I mean this in no way as a slam on NRA members that love to hunt and have gun safety. I mean the type that says look at my gun, this can cut a guy in half. I have one in the family and knew one when I was working before retirement. I'm not anti guns. I was shooting skeet when I was 12 and have a bench rifle specially made for me.

I am old enough to see the proliferation of guns that has taken place and the ease of getting them. Back in the late 50's I got a hand gun for family protection. Not a gun to carry consealed but just to keep in the house. I was finger printed and every year had to go back and register. When I got my permit to carry a gun on my person 15 years ago it was so easy and as I remember I didn't have to renew it for 4 years. I didn't renew it since the threat to me was abated. I am stunned to see some wanting guns allowed into churches and bars.

I only mentioned that in deer hunting season that bullets were flying all over the place so as to belie the belief that you must shoot into a berm or embankment in Indiana. The deer that was shot on my property and gutted was different then the one that died in my pond. That deer was most likely shot off my property and came to drink while dieing. That deer I pulled up to the road with my tractor, called the Sharif’s department, UGH, told them that riggamortis hadn't yet set in it could be dressed out for the poor.

My one of a kind bench rifle.

Last edited by John Monroe; 06/29/15 01:36 AM.

F
F
Deer are known to go to water when injured .Its a instinct reaction.
Its not to drink.I presume It coagulates the blood , reduces pain and swelling.
It may be a safety factor also to get in the water away from the predator as a last desperate resort.
Have seen them get in creeks when dogs are chasing them and only have a nose and top of head out of water . Antlers are laid back in the water.
Survival in the wild.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Rainman

Mike Lisk has called me on occasion to transport fish for him. Mainly, he has Hybrid Striped Bass, but has expanded into feed trained Largemouth for the Toronto area...the market is massive there. I'll have to go see Mike and at least try to help silence his Regenerative Blowers...The whine from them is as irritating as it gets!

As for the area he is in, Wildwood is loaded with lots of overpaid city people wanting a rural lifestyle.....the type that want to see deer meandering in their front yards, and then wanting the city to shoot the same deer when flowers are eaten....I have stocked one pond there, for a friend of Blaine's, and helped another be dredged. there are plenty of farmland smells to be "enjoyed", and rotting fish is only one of them.

Hey Rex! I live near that guy! Don't confuse us with the rich folks in Town and Country. We shoot our own deer out here. I had seven in my front yard this spring. (Didn't shoot them.)
I'll have to get ahold of this guy for some Hybrid Striped Bass..

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
T
T
Originally Posted By: John Monroe
Just a couple of responses. Why didn't I press charges for the assault. Telling my story to the sheriff department and the sheriff walking by and saying you will be lucky if she gives you a gun permit tells you what kind of protection I was going to get from him. The sheriff showed his true colors when he wasn't going to protect me and let the kid continue to shoot into my pond area. That's the reason I called him in an earlier post a NRA type. I mean this in no way as a slam on NRA members that love to hunt and have gun safety. I mean the type that says look at my gun, this can cut a guy in half. I have one in the family and knew one when I was working before retirement. I'm not anti guns. I was shooting skeet when I was 12 and have a bench rifle specially made for me.

I am old enough to see the proliferation of guns that has taken place and the ease of getting them. Back in the late 50's I got a hand gun for family protection. Not a gun to carry consealed but just to keep in the house. I was finger printed and every year had to go back and register. When I got my permit to carry a gun on my person 15 years ago it was so easy and as I remember I didn't have to renew it for 4 years. I didn't renew it since the threat to me was abated. I am stunned to see some wanting guns allowed into churches and bars.

I only mentioned that in deer hunting season that bullets were flying all over the place so as to belie the belief that you must shoot into a berm or embankment in Indiana. The deer that was shot on my property and gutted was different then the one that died in my pond. That deer was most likely shot off my property and came to drink while dieing. That deer I pulled up to the road with my tractor, called the Sharif’s department, UGH, told them that riggamortis hadn't yet set in it could be dressed out for the poor.

My one of a kind bench rifle.

JohnMonroe, you used "NRA type" guy, I'm assuming that you didn't mean a freedom loving person who believes that the 2nd amendment means what it says? By the way, we have had a proliferation of gun rights as of late but remember we had a proliferation of gun right losses before that. The "baby boomers" probably saw to the greatest loss of gun rights and economic rights in this nations history.

By the way, you can take a gun to my church concealed. I bet that somebody in Charleston wishes that one of the nine had a concealed firearm in that church. I'm sure some might remember what happened here

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/10/colorado.shootings/index.html?eref=onion

A good person in a church blew away the bad guy, it's what good people do.

T
T

Really.......I am shocked. Up until the last decade or so guns were always cash and carry in Texas. No paper or finger prints. In the 50's, 60's, 70's they were sold in places like the auto parts stores(Western Auto), hardware stores and even drug stores.

What do you mean about NRA types? The NRA would never condone shooting across property lines???

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I never remember being fingerprinted so I could purchase a firearm in Indiana. When I applied for my "Personal Protection" permit, yes. The last time it was up for renewal, I opted to apply for the lifetime permit. I had to re-do the fingerprints, and now don't have to renew it every 4 years.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
My first shotgun was purchased at the local hardware store, back in the seventies. We walked out with it right then, no paperwork that I recall....but I was an excited kid.

Carried it down the sidewalk to where we were parked. No one even gave it a second glance, much to my chagrin. (I remember hoping someone would stop and comment on it)

J
J
I bought my first hand gun around 1958 just to have in the house. I lived in town then so I dealt with the police department and not the sheriff's department at that time. I abided by the law which was much stricter then now. The fingerprinting was was the second in my life. The first was in the military and the third was when I got my gun to carry for personal protection.

What do I mean by NRA type? I mentioned two I personally knew. One was a guy I worked with. He belonged to the Civil Defense. He bragged he had guns that could blow a person in half. He brought one into work, loaded to show and tell. He was suspended for a week and was told if he did it again he was fired. He also bragged that he stopped a guy on the highway for speeding. Can you believe the nerve. He told me and I believed him, that he could get a working rocket launcher in 20 minutes.

The other guy was my ex son in law. He loved to show me guns that could blow a hole the size of a soft ball in a person. We were visiting him in Ft Wayne and I mentioned I needed to get a hand gun for protection. He took me across the street from his house where I bought a 38 special for only $50. In this house in the basement was one hell of a craftsman building a working replica of a 30 caliber machine gun just like the one's I had fired in the army. I ask this guy who buys these type of guns. He said he has orders from around the country. These are two NRA types, not the NRA I know.

As for personal guns in churches to stop what just happened. Archie Bunker of All in the family TV had the same answer to stop the hijacking of airliners. Give everyone boarding the plane a machine gun and if anyone try's to hijack the plane, every one can just cut loose.

T
T
I bought my first hand gun around 1958 just to have in the house. I lived in town then so I dealt with the police department and not the sheriff's department at that time. I abided by the law which was much stricter then now. The fingerprinting was was the second in my life. The first was in the military and the third was when I got my gun to carry for personal protection.

What do I mean by NRA type? I mentioned two I personally knew. One was a guy I worked with. He belonged to the Civil Defense. He bragged he had guns that could blow a person in half. He brought one into work, loaded to show and tell. He was suspended for a week and was told if he did it again he was fired. He also bragged that he stopped a guy on the highway for speeding. Can you believe the nerve. He told me and I believed him, that he could get a working rocket launcher in 20 minutes.

The other guy was my ex son in law. He loved to show me guns that could blow a hole the size of a soft ball in a person. We were visiting him in Ft Wayne and I mentioned I needed to get a hand gun for protection. He took me across the street from his house where I bought a 38 special for only $50. In this house in the basement was one hell of a craftsman building a working replica of a 30 caliber machine gun just like the one's I had fired in the army. I ask this guy who buys these type of guns. He said he has orders from around the country. These are two NRA types, not the NRA I know.

As for personal guns in churches to stop what just happened. Archie Bunker of All in the family TV had the same answer to stop the hijacking of airliners. Give everyone boarding the plane a machine gun and if anyone try's to hijack the plane, every one can just cut loose.

Well, I'm an NRA type. I support the entire Constitution including the stuff I don't like. I run a gun business which is constantly under fire by Non NRA types. If Non NRA types had their way my family and I would be out on the street collecting welfare along with others that won't do for themselves. My president hates me, my federal government hates me, and now my pope even hates me. All that stands between me and these savages is the NRA. I am the NRA.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I appreciate this not going political. I will tread lightly here to avoid politics and acrimony. Neither have a place on this site and the Mods get nervous.

However, since the middle ages, the story of weapon control has been political. Remember the fictional story of Robin Hood? He was outlawed because he killed one of the kings deer. How and why did that happen? At that time, the king decreed that all game animals belong to the Crown. Thus, the populace had no need for weapons. We can pretty well extrapolate that throughout periods of history around the world.

To those who want to understand the issue and the history thereof, I can recommend "The Second Amendment Primer" by Les Adams. It's the best historical writing I've come across that traces Americas history of personal arms legislation, both sides of the issue, since 1776 and actually goes back to ancient Greece. It's cheap at less than $10 on Amazon.

I'm butt deep in guns, some of which I've never fired, and sometimes wonder why they clutter up my closet. I'm a member of the NRA but don't believe in everything they promulgate. I'm not sure what NRA type means. Texas has recently passed "Open Carry" laws but I think only damn fools advertise that they are armed. I also don't carry one in my vehicle. But, to each his own. Not everyone thinks like I do.

Editing here. The NRA and I are in pretty constant contact. They call me quite often when they are looking for $ donations.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 06/30/15 07:57 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I don't have any weapons. I deer hunt by jumping on the deer's back and biting its neck. That is the only civilized way to hunt:)

Come on guys - lighten up. Look into the deep pool of your pond and find your inner peace....

Last edited by RAH; 06/30/15 06:56 AM.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Do you have special dentures you use for that? Like "Jaws" from the James Bond films or something?

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Shhh! Don't go posting my secrets....

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Well one must remember that just because your a member of the NRA doesn't mean you can't be a little off your rocker... There is always that handful that makes things bad for everyone else...... You know the old saying guns don't kill people do. You can lay a gun down on the table fully loaded with the safety off and yell at it all you want to kill something and I got money says it just won't do it. smile

And if we took all the guns away we would have one hell of a big mess.

What folks don't understand it the consequence's of what would happen if we did that and that includes being overran by animals as well.

Well the bad guys would still get the guns.
Or the bad guys will now use mini cross bows to do their killing.... So we would have to ban all bows....
Then they would use Bowie knifes and swords...
So we would have to ban them.. You see where this is going right....

What we need is stricter swifter laws in place for these yahoos who do dumb stuff. Specially ones who are caught right in the act!

But no we want to arrest them and put them in jail on my dollar and then have a year long court battle on our dollar and then maybe just maybe sentence him to the death penalty but let him stay on death row for 20 fricken years on our dollar also ..... dang sorry guys it just really upsets me how backwards we have become...

Concerned
RC

Sorry mods if this was to much no worries if you delete it....

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
T
T

Interesting......I would never have characterized them as NRA types. I would have used some different terminology.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Back ta neighbors. A fellow bought 22 acres that completely surround me except for the road out front. The first summer he tore down a nice tree stand that I had on his property. We had discussed this stand and I told him I'd move it. I was close friends with the previous owner and had full run of the property as he didn't live here and I was sort of his custodian. I didn't say anything about the stand.
I used to park my truck on a hill to scout two crop fields that bottle necked into another neighbors woods that I had a stand in. In Sept he pulled up one evening and said "Look BOB, you're gonna ruin my hunting sitting up here so quit comin on my land". I said ok and did. He and six friends hunted that 22 acres and shot two does. The yr before I got a doe with my Muzz and a nice buck with my bow. These guys were great white city boys.
The next June he calls me up and says "HEY, I heard your dog killed a deer out of my woods". I informed him the dog killed a fawn on my property and ate the whole thing. He went ballistic on me and told me I "have to chain my dog up". I told him to f off cause my dog has always run free and is known to and is friends with all the neighbors and their kids and animals. Also all the neighbors liked my dog better than him since he tore down my stand. He informed me that technically it was illegal to let Doinko run free. I told him technically it was illegal ta piss in my back yard, are ya gonna hassle me about that too? He stuttered out that "ya ya you have to put up a fence then". I said sure, if you split the cost cause the fence is ta keep you and your friends off my land. He has since become a SWAT officer and often comes out (he bought the land but couldn't afford the cost to build out here) every now and then and explodes some bombs like the one Essuup referred to earlier. The second time he did I caught him on the way out and said I didn't mind his firecrackers but the other neighbors did and they thought the Homeland security folks might be interested. Now when we pass on the road he always smiles and waves. I do the same in return.
My point here is that are civil ways to deal with a ying yang.
I am a member of the NRA and voted for Obama. My son in law said Obama was gonna take our guns away. I asked him if he thought the national guard was gonna come marchin down the street and go house to house and take everyone's guns? He said well no and so I said then shut up until ya have something intelligent to say.
RAH is correct. We need ta lighten up!! I remember a legitimate ? about pen raised fish vs wild caught that got sooo far off track and political that it got deleted and the poster caught a real stern warnin ta never post such material again when he was just lookin for some verified info on the subject. Let's not get that far with this post. Sorry if I've made any sense here. Bob-O

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Bob, open a window and stick your head out, facing south. That faint sound you hear in the distance is me clapping in approval.

T
T
I think about this place "Pond Boss" ever since I started letting water fill up the hole I dug. And I enjoy it for lots of reasons. I think it is a great place to learn of ponds and fish. But when we start posting of such things as who we voted for president, it saddens me. I come here to get away from some people and Government telling me what I can do or not do. I live my life treating everyone I meet they same way I would want them to treat me. Like others here, I have fished and hunted all my life. I have never been finger printed to buy a gun in the last 3 states I have lived in. All of them in the south. In the 70's I had a bumper sticker on my hunting dog trailer and it said if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. And I believe that still hold true some 40 yrs later. As I look @ the cities up north, I see where the most strict gun laws are, and that is where the most shooting are, and I am fairly sure the shooter's, are not registered gun owners. With this 4th of July, I will be celebrating America. The way it was and not so much as the way it is heading.

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Bob and Rah I appreciate your efforts to nudge these discussions in the right direction. Thank you, I appreciate it very much.

In my mind, it's a simple formula: We can exhaust ourselves by identifying the characteristics which differentiate us [theology, politics, etc.] and exacerbate that negative situation, or we can focus upon the things which unite us [love of family, fishery and pond management, pursuit of becoming better land and water stewards]. I strongly recommend pursuing the latter avenue - as it not only fosters a positive, science rich forum environment in which we all prosper and can enjoy - but it's the reason Bob and Mike built the forum in the first place.

FWIW, there's probably no lengths, legal or illegal, I wouldn't go to assist one of my PB brothers if one found themselves in need - despite the fact we may have opposing sentiments/opinions on issues. My friendship will never be contingent on whether you eat on the left or the right, rather based upon the merit of your character and how many cocktails or pounds of tannerite in which you indulge me. So, please, focus on the details which unite us - and PM me for my address so you can ship some tannerite my way in time for the 4th.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 10:30 AM
pond experience needed
by FishinRod - 03/29/24 10:13 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday