Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024
18,504 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,999
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
7 members (Freunb02, Harrison55, Jward87, Boondoggle, Bigtrh24, FishinRod, Fishingadventure), 1,314 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#41710 07/03/07 08:21 PM
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
I'm new to the forum. My wife and I just purchased 38 acres in central Arkansas. We will build a 3-4 acre pond within the next few years. I was wondering what you guys have in the way of tractors and implements. I believe I will need one, not for building the dam, but for bush hogging, adding detail to the lake bottom, and general use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I started with nothing, and still have most of it.
#41711 07/03/07 08:30 PM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Welcome aboard CM! Here is a link to some reading in your spare time.

http://www.pondboss.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=25;t=000036

#41712 07/03/07 08:47 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I think we just wore it out on the last question. Read Russ's link, go to tractorby.net(?) and come back with specific questions.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
#41713 07/03/07 09:00 PM
G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
ahvatsa demoralized us with his big shiny Kubota.

#41714 07/03/07 09:08 PM
Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by GW:
... with the funkelnagelneues tires.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
#41715 07/03/07 09:17 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Davidson1:
I think we just wore it out on the last question. Read Russ's link, go to tractorby.net(?) and come back with specific questions.
cmfulmer,

First welcome to PB. It is a great place for friendly advice.

Secondly, you got here a just a few days too late. As Dave Davidson said, we kind of wore out the subject -- but we're always up for more! We can really help you spend your money on great toys for the pondstead.

Thirdly, this should be a good link to the TractorByNet Forum (TBN) mentioned by DD1. They too (the TBN guys), can provide you with lots of great advice on expensive fun toys.

We look forward to you building your pond. We all learn from it. Please come back often, ask lots of questions before you start excavating, and post lots of pictures during the whole process.

Ken G.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
#41716 07/03/07 09:47 PM
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Thanks guys! Stupid me, I should have used the search function. I will look the information over and come back with more specific questions.

#41717 07/03/07 09:47 PM
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
TractorByNet is a daunting place. I get lost over there. PondBoss is much more user-friendly.

I bought a used Long 2360 with only 83 hours on it. I also got a 20 ft. trailer, Box blade, Disc, tiller, and 7 FT. Bush Hog. I couldn't pass it up for the price.
Current Pond-working unit (want!) - Kubota BX24's. I see one everyday as I pass Landsdowne-Moody, in my office neighborhood.

All those New Hollands om their lot drive me crazy, too!

Subscriber, but without the ability to link to my Pond Boss Pic!
#41718 07/04/07 06:31 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Agent, thanks for reminding me that I forgot my manners. Welcome CMF.

The guys on Tractorbynet are farm equipment junkies just like we are pond junkies. They know more than I will ever even guess.

MY experience. I started off with a vintage 8N and still have it. It's handier than a pocket on a shirt. However, it is very limited. In one of my ever recurring stupid phases, I also bought an old Case that is about 80 HP. I used it twice and now it is rusting in peace with rotten tires. I just have no use for a thousand acre tractor and equipment is really expensive.

Then, I got too old to do it all myself and bought a brand new, just out of the box, 39 HP, 4wd John Deere sporting a front end loader that I can't imagine doing without. The loader is a back saver and makes all things possible. Five years ago, about $25K.

Equipment? Depends on what you will be doing. With 38 acres, you're not going to be a big time farmer. I'm not either. However, some things are really handy to have. Box blade, disk, and bush hog immediately come to mind. You can add other things as the need/desire arises. I doubt that I will ever buy new equipment. Good, solid stuff from a farm auction is usually the best bet. You might be able to trade off and borrow/lend equipment from a neighbor but better keep a welder handy.

You're going to need a 16 ft. tandem axle trailer (I have one) but it probably makes sense to rent or borrow one for the infrequent times that you need it. If you use it to move onto the place, it might make sense to go ahead and buy one.

As far as tractor model, JD, Kubota, New Holland, and Case all seem to be OK. Having a dealership close is a pretty smart idea when you need parts or service. The nearest JD dealer to me is 50 miles. That's dumb of me.

New or used is your choice and depends on personal choices, finances, mechanical ability, etc. I bought the new John Deere because I'm a rural weekender and wanted something to work with instead of work on. I also wanted a tractor that would outlive me and most will.

If you buy a smaller utility tractor with a front end loader, make sure it has 4WD. They're pretty useless without it. Also make sure the dealer installs the antifreeze in the rear tires and green slime in the front tires. You want the rear tires filled so you won't turn the darn thing over and wind up all wadded up under it. The green slime cuts flats almost to zero.

BTW, buy a really good chain saw. I've had a lot of them and only Echo and Stihl have held up.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
#41719 07/04/07 06:45 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by cmfulmer:
I'm new to the forum. My wife and I just purchased 38 acres in central Arkansas. We will build a 3-4 acre pond within the next few years. I was wondering what you guys have in the way of tractors and implements. I believe I will need one, not for building the dam, but for bush hogging, adding detail to the lake bottom, and general use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Agent:
TractorByNet is a daunting place. I get lost over there. PondBoss is much more user-friendly.
After I posted, and after I read Agent's comments, I started thinking about "gotta-haves." Here is my list in order of importance:

Reasonable parts/dealer support
Diesel Engine
4WD (MFD, or whatever the maker calls drive to all four wheels)
Loaded Rear Tires
Three point "quick hitch"
Rotary Rough Cut Mower (Brushhog)
Rear Blade
Drawbar with a swivel lock
Front End Loader

After that, things become "nice-to-haves."

A box blade sure can move and level a lot of ground.

A post hole digger can be used for a lot more than setting posts. I have a 12-inch auger on mine, and we use it mostly for planting tomatoes, bushes, and small trees.

Like a front-end loader, a backhoe becomes indispensable once you have one.

A 3-point hitch carry-all is good for moving everything from appliances to small building.

I like R4 industrial tires, so rear tire chains are more than a luxury when I'm plowing snow up the side of our mountain. They are a must if you have turf tires, and they can help even with R1 bar-tread Ag tires.

Transmissions -- personal preference. Everybody likes their kind of transmission better than all the rest.

The differences in tractor manufacturers is much like with cars. Just make sure the brand/model has good parts support and has been around for a while.

Size really doesn't matter a whole lot either, unless you are doing things like baling hay.

Happy tractoring,
Ken G.

(Edit: I guess I was writing my response when DD1 was posting his. I'm glad we didn't give conflicting advice. Lot's of other good ideas from Dave too -- like chainsaws and a trailer. A "come-along" and lots of chains are real handy too.)

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
#41720 07/04/07 07:08 AM
Lunker
Lunker
Good list, Ken.

Anyone who's worked with an old Ford 8N would add "live PTO" (PTO operates without the tractor being in gear) to it. Those who've never had the opportunity to "appreciate" tractors approaching Oliver Douglas' in age need not worry about it.

If you've got hills or seasonal wet soils (i.e. mud) go with Ag tires. I know a guy who has bought 2 new New Hollands (one smaller, with turf tires; one medium-sized, with industrial tires) in the last year who simply cannot get to some places on his hilly property when the ground is wet.

If you have the tires loaded (with calcium chloride solution), IMO you should insist on their having tubes put in first, to isolate the wheels from the CaCl.

My 4WD Ford 1720 with all four Ag tires loaded is simply wonderful for plowing snow.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
#41721 07/04/07 09:16 AM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Welcome CM,

You'll get plenty of great advice here, so I'll zero in on a minor mistake I made.

I bought 10 acres, and since it was full of brush and briars, I bought a bush hog. After bush hogging it 1-2 times, no more brush! I wished I had bought a finishing mower instead. I am now using my bush hog as a finishing mower. If I keep the blade sharp, I it does fair, but it sure is slow.

If you plan to mow 6-8 times a year, a finish mower may work best, and will certainly do a better, faster job. They're faster because finish mowers are easier to pull than bush hogs, and generally 2 feet wider for a given tractor.

All the above depends on how much of your acreage you plan to mow, and how often, of course. If you plan to cut your land only 3-4 times a year, a bush hog will probably work better on the tall weeds and grass. WIth 38 acres, you may eventually need both implements.

#41722 07/04/07 10:17 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yeah, I bought turf tires on my JD and really regret it.

#41723 07/04/07 11:44 AM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Well, I bought the industrial tires on my 4WD Kubota and found that it can still get stuck below the dam after 20" of rain in the last 60days. \:o

20 acres of trees & 3/4 acre pond.

"Home of the future Texas state HSB record for Private ponds"
#41724 07/04/07 02:09 PM
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Thanks for the information guys. I know that choosing a tractor depends on a lot of factors and is a very vague question to ask. I'm just trying to avoid newbie mistakes and am interested in things to do and not to do. You guys are great!

#41725 07/04/07 02:22 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
One more parting tidbit:

If you intend to regularly maintain most of your 38a, you'll probably be happier for something in the 50+ hp range. You'll need it to pull 7-9' mowing machines etc. that you will probably want.

#41726 07/04/07 08:32 PM
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Thanks, all, for the extra tidbits and info on this thread. It reminded me of a few tools I need to bring to the property. I really need that Front End Loader on my rig, though. I'll add it when we live there full time. I just will not be able to stand the nooks and crannies on that bank ;\)

Subscriber, but without the ability to link to my Pond Boss Pic!
#41727 07/05/07 08:17 AM
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
 Quote:
Originally posted by GW:
It was NOT my intention. The 0% financing helped blow the budget! (Wonder if they had that figured out?) Would it help if I posted a cab roof corner Gorilla Taped from a tree branch that jumped out at me? Maybe a bent HD Box blade missing a scarifier?

Theo
"... with the funkelnagelneues tires."
What the .... is that?
I tried Googling funkelnagelneues" and they seem to be speaking in tongues. Are u a Pentecost?

please folks this is tongue in cheek (pun) and not a slam at anyones religion.

#41728 07/05/07 10:16 AM
Lunker
Lunker
"Funkelnagelneues" (plus a few umlauts I didn't bother inserting)= German for brand-spanking new. Literally, it means "shiny-nail new", so I guess I better add the disclaimer that I wasn't hoping your Kubota gets a flat.

-S. M. Stirling
#41729 07/05/07 06:44 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Originally posted by Theo Gallus:
"Funkelnagelneues" (plus a few umlauts I didn't bother inserting)= German for brand-spanking new. Literally, it means "shiny-nail new", so I guess I better add the disclaimer that I wasn't hoping your Kubota gets a flat.
I was zooming in on those tires, thinking I had missed something. Then...I considered the source and figured it was way over my head. I was right.

#41730 07/05/07 07:39 PM
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
cm,

Ditto on a lot of the info covered here; 4WD + a front bucket is a must and for the money I would get around 40hp or so unless you have bigger jobs to tackle like plowing/moving a bunch or dirt around or mowing with a big bat-wing mower or somesuch.

Some things to think about:

Is the 38 acres open or wooded? Will you have livestock? Will you farm it?

IE mowing 38 acres 3 times a year can be a decent part time job. Likewise if its wooded, will you be doing a lot of clearing, building fences, maintaining roads...going on joy rides?

: )

Best wishes on your new place

If I could afford it I would get one like ahvatsa!! A nice tractor all around.

- Smoke 'em if you got 'em

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

#41731 07/05/07 10:14 PM
G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
ahvatsa, if you would only post more pictures of that beautiful tractor I would happily look at them. I'll even give you $5 if you'll pose in the tractor holding a Chihuahua with a pink bow.

Sorry to hear about the dings.

And just wait until I post pics of my BRAND NEW BOAT.

#41732 07/06/07 05:18 AM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
In addition to all the other implements listed, one attachment I found very useful to me is a set of pallet forks. Rated at 1 ton capacity and designed for use as a 3 pt hitch attachment, a couple of days with a welder and now I have the option to use them on my front loader. With the loader bucket being a quick disconnect unit, I set the forks up the same way. Pull two hitch pins and away you go.

WorkSaver is the brand.

#41733 07/06/07 06:35 AM
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
GW
Actually the dog is a Chinese crested hairless. She's off to Dallas for a show with her sister, a jet black beauty.
I look forward to your boat pics.
I am looking at:
http://www.pondking.com/products/pontoon_boats/pontoon_boats.asp
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=h...hl%3Den%26lr%3D
On the tractor side, it's amaizing what I've seen done with these:
http://www.ashlandind.com/35d.HTML
http://www.rowserakes.com/300series.html
Reshaping roads and drainage. Light terracing and I want to enhance some creek channels that drain our big pond.
If anyone has had any experience with either the pontoon boats or scrapers I would appreciate any comments.

#41734 07/06/07 06:47 AM
G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
Those little pontoons look great!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts