Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,990
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
6 members (Fishingadventure, FishinRod, Bigtrh24, Sunil, catscratch, highflyer), 1,128 guests, and 497 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
There was an article in our local paper about a pond not too far from me. I've seen the pond. It looks to be about an acre. They have four aerators running in it continuously. The neighbors are complaining about the noise. Then he had a power outage, and ended up with 5,600 pounds of dead fish. He got some buried, but not all. Between the noise of the aerators, and the stench if the dead fish, this guys has some very upset neighbors.
I guess there are tractor trailers in and out of there all the time. The article said the fish are grown for export to Canada. I've seen it from the road since they started digging the pond. I've not heard or smelled anything. Guess we are far enough away..

http://westnewsmagazine.com/2015/06/23/5...he-neighborhood

Guess I'll keep my little pond and it's fishery on a somewhat smaller scale.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Sounds like the land owner is a bit of a d-bag.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
How hard is it to enclose your air pumps? And not really that much cost? Lets see.

He has 4 of them.

So 4 , 4x4 post 1 for each pump. 4 bags of concrete some 2x4's and flat board. 1 roll of roll roofing.

So for about 200 to 250 bucks I could have all of them in some kind of enclose case? Wow how hard is that to keep the neighbors happy!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Maybe less then that if all 4 pumps are right next to each other??

I agree sounds like this guys don't give a dam....

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The air blower motors are probably something like this:

They move a high volume of air and are used with air stones. They are noisy, and it would take a larger enclosure that has a lot of filtration on the openings, plus vents that are filtered to keep them cool.

If it was my business, I'd build the enclosure to keep the noise down and the neighbors as happy as possible.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Hmmm. Neighbors who cannot enjoy their own property due to smells and sounds coming from adjacent properties. Sounds like a recent discussion here on the forum.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Well that's a bad A$$ blower! I was wondering how they could here a GAST pump? or even 2 or 3 of them. Mine isn't very loud at all. Once I get 100 feet away I cant hear it at all.

Now I see why they compared it to a leaf blower running! That would get old fast even for me. If it were mine I would not want to hear that all the time??

5600 pounds of fish I a 1 acre pond!! Dang it man! That's like having two dead cows laying on your property and not doing anything about it!

Yuck!

RC

Last edited by RC51; 06/26/15 10:51 AM.

F
F
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Hmmm. Neighbors who cannot enjoy their own property due to smells and sounds coming from adjacent properties. Sounds like a recent discussion here on the forum.

smile I was thinking the same thing!

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: fish n chips

Hear that. My first thought after visiting the link was "OMG....I'm NOT the only one who feels this way!" Other people desire that their neighbors adhere to some sort of majority recognized, appropriate conduct, also. Wow! laugh

D
D
My first question is how is it possible to raise 5000#s of fish in a acre? I thought 800#s was a crap load of fish but been told only 400# is realistic.

Yes keep the neighbors happy with some free fish and lower the sound for sure.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
OP Offline
I think he can afford to quiet the blowers. I remember when I was looking for AquaMax feed. I went to the nearest Purina dealer. He had the 600 in there, several pallets as a matter of fact. I asked him why he had so much? He said he had a local guy that needed 7 bags a day.. It has to be this guy.. That's not cheap to through in a day!
It is a pretty deep pond, I remember when they built the dam. It went across a pretty deep ravine.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
What kind of fish are being raised?

The article never said.

I wonder if its Burbot 'cause it's going to Oh Canada...

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
The reason he was able to raise 5600 pounds of fish in one acre is likely the same reason those fish perished after the power failed. Because the pond is on the absolute ragged edge of sustainability, and relies on artificial means to continue operating.

L
L
That pond must be positively boiling with fish! The aerator bubbles are probably also the poor fish caught up in the current and being tossed around. That is a crazy amount of fish, and a heck of a lot of fish to loose from a power outage. Imagine the value?

Perhaps a generator is in his future also?

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
A pond like that won't last very long without being drained and cleaned either.

In high density systems (not ponds) you could raise 5600lbs in ~2200 gallons of water - not cheap to do, but people do it.

T
T
Originally Posted By: fish n chips

Hear that. My first thought after visiting the link was "OMG....I'm NOT the only one who feels this way!" Other people desire that their neighbors adhere to some sort of majority recognized, appropriate conduct, also. Wow! laugh

If only we had more Regulation ........!!!

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
OR, more respect for our neighbors. Then we wouldn't need so much regulation.

T
T
Hey, if it's the local government who makes the regulation, at least it's local and not the feds who have absolutely no power to do it under Article I section VIII. I would still maintain that the other people who live in this township, city, or whatever it is probably don't need a new law imposed upon them because of the actions of one bad actor. Chances are, there's already some law on the books to cure the issue.

There's also another very simple solution that doesn't involve the rest of use needing a new law passed against us, the property owners around the guy simply sue him. Personal responsibility to handle your own issues would have to come into play though instead of counting on the rest of us to give up rights for a new law.

I just got a new pond, I made it twice because I aint so bright.
T
T
Bingo, already a law on the books "Vujnich, in the letter, cited Lisk for violations of the city’s nuisance code, due to the foul odor." I would maintain the city didn't even need such a vague law, probably already state laws on the books. All the noise the neighbors are complaining about, the city tested the noise and it fell within the limits of the city noise ordinance. This city has a lot of ordinances if it has a noise ordinance. Usually only the most left wing cities have such laws.

Last edited by timshufflin; 06/26/15 10:07 PM.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Respect and consideration for your neighbors. It really isn't that difficult a concept. If this guy had simply acknowledged that his operation was disturbing those neighbors in the near vicinity, AND made an attempt to address the situation, maybe all parties involved could've reached a solution without involving government on ANY level. A win-win situation for everyone.

But, he probably feels like his neighbors are trying to infringe upon his rights, by claiming their own. Rather than try putting himself in their shoes, he selfishly sees only what matters to him...nothing more. It's too bad.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S

J
J

Nice going finding this link so quickly on the web.

I had a dispute with my neighbor who's 12 year old son was firing a high powered pistol and a .22 rifle into my 5 acre pond area. The neighbor's house is bound on two sides by paved roads and the other two sides by my pond area, that I consider my front yard. I spend most of the hours in a day there enjoying my special heaven that I have built from bare ground into my park pond heaven. I was at the pond one day and a bullet came zinging by my head. I walked up to the kid and told him if he didn't quit firing into my pond area I was going to call the Sharif. As I turned my back and walked away I was met with rapid bang, bang, bang, bang, bang fire. I thought I was going to be shot in the back. The Sharif came out, and NRA type, and grilled me, do I even know what a bullet sound like coming close to me. Being in the military I told him I have fired every kind of weapon and had been on a special night operations to demonstrate bullet ricochet using tracer bullets and how they reacted. Then the Sharif said the kid was probably shooting up in the air. I said no, I could take him right now and show him a bullet at chest level in one of my trees. He refused to go take a look at it. The sharrif left saying the kid was in the country, second amendment rights and he could continue to shoot as he had been doing. I said OK. Then I have the right to starting to shooting over their 1 1/2 acre of land. His mouth dropped, he got into his car and left. So who's rights are the top priority in my case. The sharif thinks the kids rights to shoot in the country supersede my rights to enjoy my retirement and not to be killed.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
That sheriff could get in deep doo doo. Back stops are required for that type of shooting. You cannot let lead fly into private property (or across roadways. I personally would not let that slide. Perhaps filing a police report and mentioning that if the local police are unable to help. perhaps the state police could.

T
T
Originally Posted By: RAH
That sheriff could get in deep doo doo. Back stops are required for that type of shooting. You cannot let lead fly into private property (or across roadways. I personally would not let that slide. Perhaps filing a police report and mentioning that if the local police are unable to help. perhaps the state police could.

Bingo, the deputy could get into some bit of trouble IF the story we were told is true. A backstop is required to fire your weapon and if one is not used you simply have careless use of a firearm, brandishing a firearm, criminal trespass... Pick something. I've had experience with this exact scenario in our township, we already had State law on the books, didn't need to create yet another law to pile onto yet another law, it does make the liberals feel good though.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Against the law in Texas to let a bullet cross the property line.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves