Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,091
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
17 members (Augie, PRCS, BillyE, FishinRod, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1), 744 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I agree with TJ on the BG x RES hybrids....my understanding is that the F1's will be predominantly male, with many studies indicating a 97% male bias. And that includes reciprocal crosses also. (FBG X MRES)

Plus, these fish get large, they fight like demons, and mine will take pelleted feed. Very similar to HBG now that you mention it. wink

Last edited by sprkplug; 10/30/14 12:15 PM.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
I wish my BRES were thriving like yours...happy for you, but admittedly envious.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
As to pecking fish, I don't see that as a problem with Male BG only and RES. I've never noticed any fish larger than about 3"-4" pecking, and only pure strain (not Hybrid) BG. Tony has first hand experience with HBG in a swimming pond, but I don't know how many smaller fish are in there.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Originally Posted By: JamieE
CJ, are RBS aggresive compared to BG? They sound like they'd be a cool addition to the pond and would provide another fish to catch and work well for additional forage

In my experience, RBS are half way between BG and GSF in aggressiveness and mouth size. RBS do have larger mouths and seem to be more willing to strike at crankbaits and other minnow imitating baits, indicating to me they are more piscavorous. Not even in the same boat as GSF though. In a typical pond environment they seem to get out competed by BG and just become a "background" fish. There lower reproduction rate shows when in competition with BG and under predation from LMB. Never had any issues with RBS pecking at me while swimming.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The "pecking" of fish is usually not while one is actually swimming but when one is casually or sleepily lounging on a floatie. Then the nips feel like shark bites to the girly types.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
As to pecking fish, I don't see that as a problem with Male BG only and RES. I've never noticed any fish larger than about 3"-4" pecking, and only pure strain (not Hybrid) BG. Tony has first hand experience with HBG in a swimming pond, but I don't know how many smaller fish are in there.

I've only experienced pecking by BG when there are a lot of small ones or stunted populations. They actually go after the hair on your legs or in my dad's case decided one of his nipples was a pellet. LOL

I have no issues at all with pecking in my male only bluegill pond.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
The "pecking" of fish is usually not while one is actually swimming but when one is casually or sleepily lounging on a floatie. Then the nips feel like shark bites to the girly types.

laugh

IMO little BG tugging on your leg hair kinda tickles. grin

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
We had a few instances of nipping on the initial stocking of 500 fish. It was short-lived, which I attribute to the fish "outgrowing" the nipping stage, and acclimating to the feeding program. No issues since then, and that was in 2009.

No one here shies away from swimming with the HBG. Biting is a non event these days. You have to remember however, that we're talking about a pond....not a swimming pool.

I submit that fish will be the least of your worries where biting is concerned. The deerflies and horseflies can be another matter entirely.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
In Asia people pay a lot of money to put their feet/body in tubs of water and have fish nip at their skin. In a pond here it is free!

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Pecking fish?? I have a story from my college days and my ex-wife that will convince you to never get romantic with bluegill around! shocked cry shocked Let's just say she learned how to fly, and I learned how to scream like a little girl!!

Lunker
Lunker
Is that a bonefish or are you just happy to see me? Let it slide, mods...it's Halloween after all.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
heckuva trick or treat. Reminds me of a session on a moonlit night with bull nettle a lot of years ago.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 10/31/14 03:44 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Pecking fish?? I have a story from my college days and my ex-wife that will convince you to never get romantic with bluegill around! shocked cry shocked Let's just say she learned how to fly, and I learned how to scream like a little girl!!

TMI! grin

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JamieE Offline OP
OP Offline
J
That's hilarious Rex!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Rex, seems like ya should have exercised a bit more control over yer little Red Wiggler !!!!

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
J
JamieE Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Got an update with some pics on my ponds progress. We went fishing with some small jigs to see how the fish were looking and caught 3 SMB, and several perch. I'll have some pics of them below, so please tell me what you think of them. Also forage numbers still seem to be very strong and GSH are 7"+ now and are spawning. I've seen several different sizes of GSH present when feeding and near spawning locations.

YP are hitting the feed heavily, but no sign of SMB on the pellets. In spite of this it seems the SMB are growing every bit as fast as the YP. The SMB in the pic looks to be at least 8" as that's the length of my hand. They were stocked in late Oct. and we're 5-5.5". I was really surprised at how heavy this fish felt on my rod, actually stripping line off the reel! As you can see in the pic he is quite plump and healthy looking.

The largest perch are in the 7-8" range already. I'm very pleased with the progress at this point.

Also I have decided to take some of the advise from guys on the forum and stock some HSB. We stocked 16, 5-7" yesterday. Hope to get them on pellets as well. The one pic below is of GSH spawning along my south bank in the only patch of algae that exists on the entire pond.

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u392/JamieE38/2b198ad2fb8aab8c8e89b731a6014d15.jpg

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u392/JamieE38/14d390a99ad2e203f114ef523695fd16.jpg

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u392/JamieE38/1b5de5b2ba67bb2f3b98e46db0412f6d.jpg

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
SMB are very well fed and fat. Growth should be very good this summer.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Lunker
Lunker
The YP and SMB look great - the WR on that SMB has to be 120 plus. Think about buying a digital tray scale, one used to weigh food from any box store around $15, and get some weight and length measurements so we run WRs on your fish. That SMB might even be over 120...incredible body condition. See what happens when you listen to Cody? smile

Wow, those pics look great. I see you stocked the SMB last fall, how about the YP? When were they stocked?
Hitting on jigs too, that's good news to me. What time of day were you fishing?
(I'm hoping for similar results..)

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
J
JamieE Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I agree TJ I do need to get a scale and get some accurate measurements to see where the fish stand, but my eyes tell me they look pretty darn good! Hard to believe they can grow so quickly. It is nice to get the great info from Cody and many others on the forum that have the experience behind them.

I'd like to get a minnow trap out and see what kind of fry are present. Im Guessing its a bit too early for that though?

The perch were stocked about a month before the SMB last fall. Think it was mid to late September.
We caught the fish around 5 pm as a storm front was moving through.

Just listen to the advice given on this site and you won't go wrong!

J
JamieE Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Made a trip to Remlinger fish farm yesterday to get some fish food (thanks Bill for recommendation). They had perch still available so we brought home an additional 350 4-7" fish to add to the ones from Cecil. That makes a total of 750 YP stocked in the pond. I hope they will follow the other perch to the feed very soon.

I thought the addition of perch to the pond would speed up us being able to harvest a few this fall and add to the genetic diversity as well.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Jamie, looks like my pm to ya was poorly timed.

J
JamieE Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Day late... Thats okay. I'll need more in the future..

J
JamieE Offline OP
OP Offline
J
YP I got from Remlingers aren't fairing so well. I've been finding dead fish all around the banks of the pond. I wasn't too impressed with the way the fish were bagged as several of the bags had lost most, if not all the oxygen in the bags by the time I got back. They assured me they'd be fine to make the 1+ trip, but that hasn't been the case. Some of the fish did seem a bit stressed as they had some wounds on them.

I've never had this problem dealing with Jones fish. Jones is expensive , but it appears they know what they're doing with the fish.

I'm going to call them and see what they say, but at this point looks like a huge waste. Hopefully at least some of the fish will survive.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Dang Jamie, that's a shame. Did you know Jones is having a truck at their location in Industrial Park in Ft Wayne tomorrow. Supposed to have ordered in advance but might be worth a call tomorrow AM and see if maybe they bring extra fish in case someone shows up without ordering.

Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday