Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
3 members (Layne, Angler8689, anthropic), 616 guests, and 135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Thought I would show off my 2 bucks I shot last year. I shot the 10 point on Monday of opening weekend rifle. And then the next Saturday I shot the nice 8 point!! I couldn't believe it! I been hunting sense I was 13 and this was the best year I have ever had and I am 47. Sometimes it just don't come easy like them TV shows!! My wife was kind enough to let me get both of them mounted! One day they will look good in the cabin!

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
F
F
Congrats - They look pretty good right now and the memories are even better.

Lunker
Lunker
Sweet, I just got my 2014 buck back this week also.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Nice very nice! This year I am going to concentrate on getting my boy and my dad a nice buck! I had a GREAT time last year so now it's time to try and pay it forward!!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Those are some nice bucks! I'm just taking up deer hunting at the ripe age of 60. I've been a quail hunter my whole life, but there just aren't enough quail around Missouri anymore to keep a dog trained.
I had my son in law in a prime stand last year for opening of gun season. He had a nice 10 pt buck come out of the woods across from him. Unfortunately he came right in towards him. He didn't take a head on shot. When the buck finally veered off and went by him, he was moving pretty fast, so my son in law didn't take the shot.
The buck crossed the road and my neighbor got him. I took my son in law over to see him later. He's still kicking himself.
I ended up getting a small 8 pt, and a doe for the freezer. I didn't think I'd like venison so much. I'd only had it a few times over the years, and it was horrible. The meat we are eating out of the two I shot is delicious. I had most of it ground up into burger, and cut with beef fat though. (So I guess that's kind of cheating.)
There are other big bucks up around our farm. I hope to get one for the wall someday.
Those are some nice bucks, you've got there.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I just cut'em off and tack em up. Twenty five years of habitat improvement is starting to pay off.

Last edited by RAH; 06/06/15 08:41 AM.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Guys, those are some very impressive racks. I've been privileged to see some pretty nice ones in my younger years but they weren't on deer.
SettterGuy, addin beef or pork is necessary when makin burger. Deer are so lean that ground alone the patties won't hardly stay together. Tell your sol that he did the right thing. That was ethical hunting and his patience is a better thing than a rack on the wall. Had he taken a sloppy shot and only wounded it so it would go off and hide and die slowly is something he won't have to regret for a long time. I've killed many deer and only wounded and lost a few. I remember those hunts more clearly than when I got the big boys. Hope he instills those good judgments into your grandkids.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
The best pure venison I ever had was the result of a visit from my father-in-law. We thawed out frozen deer meat, and he removed every speck of connective tissue from it. We then ground it and made pure venison burgers. They were as good as any beef. You do not need to cover up the gamy taste with pork fat if you remove all the connective tissue. That is where the bad flavor comes from. I do not have the patience though. We eat the good cuts, and freeze the rest for the dog. However most of my deer are donated to those less fortunate. I guess my deer have more sticky meat, because the burgers held together just fine. My father-in-law is no longer alive, but we have great memories of his visits. He was diving off our dock into the pond when he was 80 years old. They would not let him dive at the public pool where he swam at home.

Last edited by RAH; 06/06/15 10:17 AM.
T
T
I also love to see nice racks smile At my age I seam to appreciate them more. One of my best pleasures in life at this time is watching the deer food plots that I plant each season. There is a 9,000 acre Nat. Wildlife preserve across the road from me, where it's only open to a few deer hunting days each yr. Mostly youth hunts. TP&W stocked northern deer there in 1943 and again in 1961 and monitored the herd up until 2008. So I get to see quite a few good bucks every yr in the food plots. I bow hunt only and I have let some really nice 3 yr olds walk. Not because I am a trophy hunter but because I am interested in the older and wiser bucks. The spring and summer food plots have been a challenge this yr because of all the rain and flooding of the food plots. And I have had to replant several of the plots this spring.
And Setterguy, I was also a serious quail hunter and have hunted over Setters that a friend had, but I was a pointer guy, I like them best but they seamed to be more hard headed than the setters, so maybe I could relate better with them. smile I really miss the walking behind the dogs all day. I was more about the dog work but the quail shoot and the southern fried quail was Nice smile

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
Guys, those are some very impressive racks. I've been privileged to see some pretty nice ones in my younger years but they weren't on deer.
SettterGuy, addin beef or pork is necessary when makin burger. Deer are so lean that ground alone the patties won't hardly stay together. Tell your sol that he did the right thing. That was ethical hunting and his patience is a better thing than a rack on the wall. Had he taken a sloppy shot and only wounded it so it would go off and hide and die slowly is something he won't have to regret for a long time. I've killed many deer and only wounded and lost a few. I remember those hunts more clearly than when I got the big boys. Hope he instills those good judgments into your grandkids.
Originally Posted By: Bob-O

Agreed! He would have ruined so much meat, if he had taken the shot. Let alone cripple the buck. He's a responsible young guy. Lucky to have him for a son in law.
He's got two of my four grand kids to take care of too!

RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
Otter attack in 2023
O
O
I agree total on getting all the white out of Deer meat. Aging is important too. I try to let mine hang for a full week. Trimming all the white fat and connecting tissue is I believe the ket to good tasting meat. I really like to cook my tenderloins whole too. I get the grill Hot and sear then put them on the upper rack until medium rare. All this is making me hungry.

Old Wood
Antique Reclaimed Lumber
Great Site!
O
O
Forgot thinking about food, Nice racks.

Old Wood
Antique Reclaimed Lumber
Great Site!
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
"If an animal is facing you directly, the centre base of the neck is the preferred target."

http://www.whitetaileddeer.ca/how-to-shoot-a-whitetail-deer-targeting-best-shot.htm

I make this shot routinely. The trick is to shoot higher than your intuition tells you. I only recommend this if you know where to shoot and are able to hit where you aim. This is a gun shot only (not a bow shot), and only for ammo that will not likely pass through to the gut.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My biggest deer to date was taken with that exact shot placement. 30-06, 165g pointed softpoint bullet, Wisconsin. It dropped at the shot and never moved. I was on the ground. That shot would be difficult or impossible from a elevated stand depending on the distance the deer was from the stand.

I have that deer on the wall and you can see where the hair was cut by the bullet if you look closely.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I haven't hunted for 8 yrs but you guys are makin me want to get the bow out and actually get serious about this Oct. Usually head to Fl the first week of Oct but I spose I can wait till Nov. Another plus to that is that maybe I can harvest some Tilapia.
Life is grand in Bob-O land !!!!

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Get out and bow hunt! Its a fantastic hobby. I see so much wildlife activity that time of year. Why did you give it up? My biggest archer buck was shot at 5 yards, and it dropped in place. I could smell his breath. He was the heaviest deer I ever shot. My wife and I were quite a bit younger then and we could not get him up into the pickup bed. I had to get my tractor and loader. By contrast, we are a bit older now and drug a 230 pounder to the truck and loaded him up last year with no problem (well maybe a little). Not sure what that bow buck weighed, but he must have been pushing 300 lbs. Ignore the handsom guy holding the antlers:)

Last edited by RAH; 06/07/15 02:32 PM.
Originally Posted By: esshup
My biggest deer to date was taken with that exact shot placement. 30-06, 165g pointed softpoint bullet, Wisconsin. It dropped at the shot and never moved. I was on the ground. That shot would be difficult or impossible from a elevated stand depending on the distance the deer was from the stand.

I have that deer on the wall and you can see where the hair was cut by the bullet if you look closely.

My son in law was up in a stand, with a 270. Not sure what bullet he had. I'll keep this neck shot in mind though. I've been practicing with the bow. The doe I shot last year was with a black powder rifle. I had the bow with me the day before, but nothing was in range. So I left the bow in the barn the next day, and sure enough, she's at 20 yards.. Should have had the bow too. I'm learning.

Otter attack in 2023
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bob, I believe archery opens the first of October. If you do your homework you should be able to leave after the first week in October.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Early October can be tough, but I took a doe on opening day of bow last year and a buck on opening day of gun. Dumb luck... Never did that before, and likely will never do it again. Had three heart shots out of 5 deer too. I probably will go dry this year.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Well I'd like to join the reindeer games as well! smile

This is my best buck to date (I've only recently started hunting deer about 5 years ago). I shot him in muzzleloader season last year in IA, hunting with a buddy and didn't know how big he actually was until I got down there with a buddy and it was all we could do to put him in the back of the truck. I had to leave the tailgate down in my F150 because he didn't fit in it. I love his rack as its extremely symmetrical, when I had him scored at the IA deer classic, he only lost 1 point. I also hunt primarily for meat and not antler racks but in this case this guy presented himself and I took the opportunity.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Ceadman, congrats. Many folks will hunt a lifetime and never even see a buck of such beauty.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
That is a great 8!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??