Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,412
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, esshup, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 811 guests, and 213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I have a trespasser who also may be a poacher. I don't live on my property but have a mobile home, construction office trailer full of tools and junk, tractor shades over tractors, a 20 ft steel shipping container, etc. So far, to the best of my knowledge, he only comes during deer season. Last year, my Grandson and a buddy were walking to their hunting areas when they saw a flashlight shining on the fence line of property. A couple of weeks later, they got to the property right after dark and saw another light about 100 yards from the house. It was going away. On the last weekend of hunting season, they got to the house and found a bunch of beer cans, Bud Light, by a picnic table, at the house. There were 14 cans. They figured I had been there during the week. No way I could drink anywhere near 14 cans of beer and I have never drank lite beer. I have now installed game cams around the house area. Sooner or later, they might get stolen. But, even though this guy is hanging around the house, I don't find that anything has been messed with. That might not continue.

The direction he walks in from is across another piece of land with no structures and an owner who lives about 100 miles away and doesn't hunt.

I know all of the neighbors in the area and I'm the only hunter. Hence, the only guy with food plots, corn and protein feeders.

Next hunting season I'm going to install a camera that transmits a pic to my PC. I expect that I'll do it before then. The cams I've installed are a couple of Browning Dark Ops that have no flash. However, the night time picture quality is extremely poor. I did a walk test and, at 15 ft., didn't recognize myself.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
D
Drue
You are in a tough spot a lot of us have faced. Me without the property damage. You can go the crazy man route and it will work but you have to be prepared for things to go south and at the end loosing some bass is not life and death.
I would also have a hard time selling out without telling the buyer what he was getting into.
Hunting and fishing is big business. I have a friend that leases my land for $10,000 a year and in the contract if he catches anyone hunting or fishing on his lease I have to give the money back.
Strange thing is I have leased his land for $10,000 a year as it is nice to hunt on some new land. So If I catch a trespasser he just cost me 10 grand and will be taken to court.

I don't have much trouble , 30:06 shot into pond from 200 yards
rabbit hunter hiding in trees wife shot in the air. He ran like he was shot at.
I am older and calmer now. I am lucky last trespasser I cought on camera I called the neighbor knowing it was one of his hands. He is the type that will fire the guy next time.
I wish I could let people hunt and fish like I did as a kid. Just have had bad luck doing it and try and keep it for family.

I would be tempted to sell if I could. I don't have to deal with crackheads like that.
Good luck.

R
RAH Online Content
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
R
Stray dogs can also be difficult to negotiate with, but my German shepherd has a way with words.

F
F
Originally Posted By: basslover
[quote=esshup]Regarding the costs of trespassers.

A client of mine had a trespass problem. The trail cam locked in a bear proof box, 3/8" Python cabled to a tree lasted less than 2 weeks before it disappeared.

Ouch. While it is an added financial cost - 2 options:
- wireless trail cam so footage is uploaded in near real time
and/or
- secondary cams that point at the original more obvious cams

Yes -I have years of retired defunct cameras and thats what I use them for. Decoys.
If I'm trying to catch a trespasser I put one where its not to obvious and the real one high and hidden. They usually don't look up..

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: esshup
Regarding the costs of trespassers.

A client of mine had a trespass problem. The trail cam locked in a bear proof box, 3/8" Python cabled to a tree lasted less than 2 weeks before it disappeared.

A 1 ac pond that was stocked with forage fish, RES and YP and was at the cusp of getting SMB stocked was bucket stocked with LMB. The pond was partially drained and rotenoned and it cost him 3 years (between stocking the forage, and getting the pond to the point to stock the SMB).

This pond is 1/2 mile off of the road, and it's not visible to anybody. Closest house is roughly 1/2 mile away.

FWIW, the LMB were 12"-13". Fish like that just don't magically appear one day. No water could enter the pond runoff wise (groundwater pond), and fish can't swim through dry woods.

Scott, what is the situation on neighbors? How many are there, how long established are they? If the BOW isn't visible from the road, then someone knows it exists from prior knowledge. Pretty determined to carry fish in a bucket for half a mile, are there trails through these woods that pass close to a neighbor's place?

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
R
RAH Online Content
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
R
Just a note: A lot of folks think they are helping by adding fish. Perhaps there are signs that can be purchased that say "Do not add fish - Managed fishery", or something like that. Do folks sell signs like that? Is this a business opportunity for someone? Before joining this forum, I thought adding some bass to my pond would have been no issue. I did not think about how adding one species could restrict my options in the future. I do not trespass, so stocking someone else's pond without permission was not really something I ever considered.

P.S. found this

http://www.123rf.com/photo_17603350_sign-prohibited-release-fish-in-pubilc-park.html

Last edited by RAH; 06/12/15 07:08 AM.
B
B
I made my own, printed them, and put them in plastic sleeves.

Homemade No Stocking Sign

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: RAH
Perhaps there are signs that can be purchased that say "Do not add fish - Managed fishery", or something like that. Do folks sell signs like that? Is this a business opportunity for someone?

Custom Sign

Fishing has never been about the fish....

R
RAH Online Content
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
R
Just wondering if a sign was available like that without requiring a custom manufacture whether it would get enough buyers to be worth the effort for someone that sells pond stuff? Probably not I guess...

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
RAH....the custom sign is under $15
I think you have a good idea for people
that have issues with people adding fish

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
What's the target audience for such a sign? Friends,neighbors, and folks with permission to fish have undoubtedly been told of your management plans, and already know not to add fish.

Trespassers have probably already ignored signs telling them they are somewhere they do not belong, so what good will additional signage asking that they not add fish, do?

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
spark i think it is just a another piece of a puzzle
and goes back to what someone said
many if not most think they are helping
the owner by adding fish....like I don't really
care if someone adds a few fish to my stew.
but i know many owners are lots more particular
with their plan than I am

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Originally Posted By: TGW1
Sparkie, I've been thinking about the fishing outfit u posted while back and now I see why trespassers might pass u by. They are thinking that guy is a Nut, better stay away from him smile

Tracy

See, having a mindset vastly different than the majority has advantages! grin

Expecting esshup and Matt Rayl here tonight, I'll try not to shoot first and ask questions later. wink

That's why we came to the shop and backed the trucks in first, and NOT visit the ponds first!

It was good seeing you again Tony. Notice how I didn't shoot the snake? wink grin

But, seeing the shotgun wad that washed up on the concrete swimming area means that the shooting there is keeping the trespassers away....... wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I think you're right, Zep. It just struck me as funny, the notion that a trespasser would ignore one sign, yet abide by another! smile

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
You mean you could've shot that snake? Of course you could've, what am I thinking?

Just for future reference, next time you see a watersnake around my ponds, feel free!

The bluegills showed a greater interest in the superfeed last night.. wink

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

A 1 ac pond that was stocked with forage fish, RES and YP and was at the cusp of getting SMB stocked was bucket stocked with LMB. The pond was partially drained and rotenoned and it cost him 3 years (between stocking the forage, and getting the pond to the point to stock the SMB).

This pond is 1/2 mile off of the road, and it's not visible to anybody. Closest house is roughly 1/2 mile away.

FWIW, the LMB were 12"-13". Fish like that just don't magically appear one day. No water could enter the pond runoff wise (groundwater pond), and fish can't swim through dry woods.

Scott, what is the situation on neighbors? How many are there, how long established are they? If the BOW isn't visible from the road, then someone knows it exists from prior knowledge. Pretty determined to carry fish in a bucket for half a mile, are there trails through these woods that pass close to a neighbor's place?

2 houses near the road, one house has an 8 year old, the other house has an older couple that are like hermits. No other houses within roughly 1/2 mile. Pond is about 1/3 mile off the road in the center of the woods. Pond is only a few years old - historically there was no pond there before.

There are other ponds on the property, and only 1 has LMB in it. None of the other ponds have had LMB show up were they shouldn't be. There's no way that these fish could have come in with the minnows or other fish - all of a sudden they were chasing FHM in the shallows. They don't grow from fingerlings to 12"+ long in a pond without being spotted at least once.

The thought is that it was a teenage relative of the 8 year old. The absentee owner is now making trips there more frequently to target practice, and I drive in when I'm nearby - no set schedule. I've been there as late as 11:00 p.m. and as early as sunrise.

I have written permission from the owner to press charges on trespassers (I'm his "agent"), and the DNR has a written letter from the owner saying that he will press charges if anyone is caught. The local Conservation Officer has it in his filing box that he keeps in the truck.

There are "No Trespassing" signs up around the perimeter of the property now, every 100'. Thin aluminum, placed on the trees at roughly 10' height (ladder against the tree to install). Plastic signs were chewed by squirrels and only lasted a year.

Knock on wood, no problems in the past 2 years.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That's good news! (the food)

You mean you could've shot that snake? Of course you could've, what am I thinking?

Concealed carry means just that, concealed. wink

I might have been able to shoot it. I'm not as good with a handgun as a rifle or shotgun. But, at that distance, it would most likely been a done deal. wink I cheat with that 9mm, I have a crimson trace laser on it.

Last edited by esshup; 06/12/15 09:59 AM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I don't want to think about where you had that thing concealed. I think I might need to shield my eyes whilst you retrieve it.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Good IWB holsters aren't cheap, but they work well.

Closing Argument

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Just glad to say that we don't have anymore trouble with the neighbors.

It helped quite a bit when 2 guy's got some federal time (they have not been back) and their old man blew a Felony Conviction into an Officers Breathalyzer.

How sweet is that!! grin

Now to deal with the Chimpmunks laugh

D
D
Stray dogs can also be difficult to negotiate with, but my German shepherd has a way with words.

You know how you get rid of stray dogs?

Cook up a pound of bacon. Get one of those big yellow wash sponges and fill it with the bacon grease. A dog with gorge the sponge down with out ripping it apart. The throat of a dog will expand so he can choke it down but his a$$ will not. The dog will die.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD

You know how you get rid of stray dogs?

Cook up a pound of bacon. Get one of those big yellow wash sponges and fill it with the bacon grease. A dog with gorge the sponge down with out ripping it apart. The throat of a dog will expand so he can choke it down but his a$$ will not. The dog will die.

That is just cruel!

Take them out humanely.

F
F

Don't forget about Google maps.... People have the ability to scan any area they want.

D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Wow, I am amazed and very grateful at how many responses I have received. Sorry for my lack of response. While I saw a number of your responses, I have been out of town with my job for a week and did not have good access to the internet. I look forward to ready all your comments and responding over the next few days.

Thanks again!!

R
R
Look up the elements for criminal trespass in your state. Start with the elements and determine what it will take to prosecute by satisfying all of these elements against an offender.

Make sure the property is properly posted. Document this with dated photographs.

Find out what the procedure is for you to swear out a criminal complaint against offenders, when a situation arises where you can meet all of the elements against an offender. This way you won't have to rely on law enforcement if they are not available.

Finally, if there are individuals that you already know and can identify as being a problem, send them registered mail now with a letter stating that they are not allowed on the property. Given an adequate description of the property in question and keep a copy for your records, along with the delivery receipt. This will help with any question of notice.

Also, consider a civil suit for trespass in order to obtain compensation for interference with the quiet enjoyment of your property.

I was able to successfully prosecute based in part on trail cam photos. It takes a lot of leg work but is definitely worth the effort...successful proescutions are a huge deterrent.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy