Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,977
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
7 members (anthropic, DrewSh, Augie, Boondoggle, Theo Gallus, Fishingadventure, FishinRod), 1,172 guests, and 406 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#411257 05/14/15 08:43 AM
OP Offline
I put in a bunch of FHM's last week into my recently drained and killed off pond in preparation for restocking....they're already doing their thing.

I was working last night on a retaining wall for the kid's beach (it'll be 7 feet under water when at full pool) and I kept seeing flashes right at the water's edge. I watched for a bit and saw at least 30 or so FHM's sort of congregated around some riprap rocks in 6-8 inches of water. It looked like several males had hollowed out spaces under the rocks and were doing their thing.

I haven't added any flat structure specifically for spawning of FHMs but it appears nature finds a way.

Exciting stuff!!

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
S
S
dlowrance,

Maybe I missed it but are there pictures of the "Kids beach" and retaining wall? I am thinking about doing one and would love to see how you are doing it!

OP Offline
Nothing special there...we've had a beach at this pond for years....the issue is that the sides are so steep the sand washes out and down to the bottom (16+ feet under water) fairly quickly. My solution up to now has just been to add more sand periodically. But seeing as how I had it drained anyway, I added a retaining wall to hopefully slow the loss.

This also allowed us to move the beach closer to the gazebo.

Just a couple of courses of block, rebar pounded into the bottom through the block, then concrete filling the holes.

The main point here is to make sure that wall is down far enough under water that it's of no danger. The top of that retaining wall will be at about 7 feet down and 15+ feet out. No way for anyone other than me scuba diving to get to it accidentally.

Dale

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
OP Offline
The topsoil at the water's edge will be removed down to base substrate and sand added - hopefully next weekend.

Dale

C
C
I just put black crappie into a pond that just has minnows and crawfish in it.I am hoping they will spawn then I can remove the adults and put in another pond. I hope they haven't spawned yet.Question will crappie spawn more than once a year.

dlowrance #411279 05/14/15 11:05 AM
C
C
Has anyone tried to use pipe for a diffuser.I was thinking about using half inch pvc with sections of rigid pipe between ten foot sections with holes drilled in the pvc.Question what size holes should I drill. And should I start with smaller holes then go a little larger as I get down the line. Or keep them the same size. Water depth is about 22 feet.

dlowrance #411281 05/14/15 11:07 AM
C
C
Sorry about that last post I was trying to start a new post but I am having trouble.

dlowrance #411289 05/14/15 11:38 AM
C
C
swiss just suggested the opposite: not starting a new post but having questions in the same post.

Moderators, what is protocol so cb100 and thegriff don't feel like they are breaking protocol?

cb100 #411296 05/14/15 12:43 PM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: cb100
Has anyone tried to use pipe for a diffuser.I was thinking about using half inch pvc with sections of rigid pipe between ten foot sections with holes drilled in the pvc.Question what size holes should I drill. And should I start with smaller holes then go a little larger as I get down the line. Or keep them the same size. Water depth is about 22 feet.

Even 1/64th" holes will produce bubbles WAY too large to be efficient. Membrane diffusers are from $10-$20 each, with 1000's of holes....how many hours do you want to spend drilling PVC to save a few bucks??

dlowrance #411310 05/14/15 03:05 PM
C
C
I am trying to spread the air out for the length of the pond. I thought that I could drill holes with my drillpress.shouldn't take to long.

dlowrance #411336 05/14/15 08:54 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Most of the air will want to come out the shallowest holes or first several holes and likely not out the middle or farthest holes.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
dlowrance #411341 05/14/15 10:20 PM
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Dale looking good! Can't wait to see what you end up doing on the stocking strategy. Feel free to ping me anytime if you want to bounce ideas around...

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

dlowrance #411352 05/15/15 05:58 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
canyoncreek, we're a little short on protocol here other than some basic "thou shalt nots" as set out in the newcomers area.

The Search Feature could be a lot better but that's the way it goes.

Actually, from a general standpoint, really new questions would be unusual. There's just not a lot that hasn't been cussed and discussed. But, since all ponds really are different, and region makes a big difference, we have never gotten too hung up on formalities.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
dlowrance #411453 05/15/15 02:37 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Canyon - thanks for asking, wish more guys would take the time to consider this question.

Dave's right of course, but whenever possible my PERSONAL protocol demands I start a new post if I have a question even if it relates to the current topic. I've hijacked plenty of posts, but I try not to do so unless the original question has been addressed and the post is winding down and original issue has been resolved. It tends to irritate me when a good dialogue is running on a topic specific to a member and their unique situation, and someone interjects and demands attention on their personal issue - which derails the focus on the primary, and original, topic. Feels like someone has just been cutoff in traffic. But, maybe that's just me - I ain't getting any younger on this forum, after all.

I wish more paid attention to these details - and appreciate you even cared to raise the question.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Canyon - thanks for asking, wish more guys gave a crap.

Dave's right of course, but whenever possible my PERSONAL protocol demands I start a new post if I have a question even if it relates to the current topic. I've hijacked plenty of posts, but I try not to do so unless the original question has been addressed and the post is winding down and issue has been resolved. I must say it tends to irritate me when a good dialogue is running on a topic specific to a member and their unique situation, and someone barges in and demands attention on their personal issue - which derails the focus on the primary, and original, topic.

I wish more paid attention to these details - and appreciate you even cared to ask. Thank you.

Good point TJ.

On a controls forum I stop by a few times a week. If someone shoots off OP thread with their own stuff, the mods will ask them to start a new thread. Reason being is all of the helpful people are answering the Original Posters (OP) questions, and asking questions back and forth.

The general idea is to focus on the OP's issues for a clear solution without a bunch of others derailing off into lala land.

Some of the fun that has been had here, being loose, would not even be tolerated on that forum.

dlowrance #411488 05/15/15 07:38 PM
S
S
My original thread on my pond construction was highjacked by another, kind of stopped my posting on the whole pond build

I am on alot of boards and this one has good people but less structure than most others. Not that I am complaining but I would love to see improvements on uploading files. The software that runs this forum is somewhat limited. Not being able to upload via mobile devices kills the amount of pictures that could be posted to explain issues and share with others.

Typically topics should in my opinion stay in one thread. There was recently a ton of threads started on the same topic. This does causes a problem with trying to provide consistent help and having all the details when someone is posting. Secondarily it only tells part of the story when somebody is reading later for research.

I understand that a large majority of users may not be internet search gurus's but again most questions have been answered at one time. People need to help themselves and do some research.

Easy thing to search this site is to use google and do the following:

Topic site:www.pondboss.com

So example if you want to search Grass for Georgia dam do the following in google search:

Grass for Georgia pond site:www.pondboss.com

Try searching it you get hundreds of good posts to read on grass on dams.

If you put quotes it will narrow your search even more.

Anyway mods please please we need an update to the software to allow tapatalk to interface with this site. I could be posting thousands of pictures that are locked into my phone.

Last edited by Swiss; 05/15/15 07:41 PM.

2.5 Acre Pond
What was the title of this thread again? grin

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
S
S
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Originally Posted By: Bill D.

I knew that was coming.

People love FHM so everyone is reading this thread smile

Last edited by Swiss; 05/15/15 07:47 PM.

2.5 Acre Pond
I tried but I couldn't resist! smile

Last edited by Bill D.; 05/15/15 07:54 PM.

[Linked Image]
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Do we need thousands of photos? I like pics as much as the next person, but waiting for a picture laden thread to load takes a lot of the shine off sometimes. If it were ridiculously simple to post photos, would it lead to a barrage of non-thread specific pics? At least the way it is now, I need to give some thought to my photo selection, and only choose the most relevant pics to post.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Originally Posted By: dlowrance
I put in a bunch of FHM's last week into my recently drained and killed off pond in preparation for restocking....they're already doing their thing.

I was working last night on a retaining wall for the kid's beach (it'll be 7 feet under water when at full pool) and I kept seeing flashes right at the water's edge. I watched for a bit and saw at least 30 or so FHM's sort of congregated around some riprap rocks in 6-8 inches of water. It looked like several males had hollowed out spaces under the rocks and were doing their thing.

I haven't added any flat structure specifically for spawning of FHMs but it appears nature finds a way.

Exciting stuff!!

I know what you mean. I was cutting wood and taking a break in the truck next to the pond and saw that flash! A male had dug out under a flat stone just laying on the bottom. They will find a way!

[Linked Image]
S
S
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Do we need thousands of photos? I like pics as much as the next person, but waiting for a picture laden thread to load takes a lot of the shine off sometimes. If it were ridiculously simple to post photos, would it lead to a barrage of non-thread specific pics? At least the way it is now, I need to give some thought to my photo selection, and only choose the most relevant pics to post.

Well doing some research you dont have to worry about alot of pictures. The software running the pondboss does not support tapatalk so without a major overhaul of the "Dam" we are not getting picture support.

Now where are those fatheads? I have been scanning my pond and the 6000 I put in about a month ago are no where to be found. I hope they are multiplying but I have not seen spawning activity yet frown

2.5 Acre Pond
I have FHM everywhere. Clouds of them. I took the canoe around the pond the other day. Pretty much anywhere around the pond, I could dip in a net and get a bunch.

My pond isn't a year old yet. This is all new to me, and pretty exciting. I've taken lots of pics of the tadpoles.. If my RES, or YP, or not stocked yet, SMB ever spawn, I may not be able to control myself.. If you post too many pics, can you get banned from the forum?

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
OP Offline
Update on this post - as predicted, my FHM have all but disappeared as I filled the pond the rest of the way and added in some of my initial stocking of WE, YP and RES. I'd guess this is mostly due to predation.

BUT - my little forage pond is absolutely FULL of the little guys! I see at least 3 size classes when feeding....question, how fast will FHM grow if fed regularly and with no predators to chase them around? Question #2 - how many spawns can occur in a single year, under the same circumstances?

Dale

Hey Dale,

In my understanding, FHM life span is typically a little over a year so they grow fast. The FHM spawn is pretty much continuous from spring until the water cools in the fall. One male will spawn with a continuous flow of females thru his nest so there are eggs of different maturity in the nest at one time. The male will keep the nest until he gets tuckered out and then another male may take over.

Last edited by Bill D.; 06/12/15 08:47 AM.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by FishinRod - 04/26/24 02:46 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by sprkplug - 04/26/24 11:43 AM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:39 AM
What did you do at your pond today?