Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,050
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 284 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Do lost nine year olds count?

Only if they have a gun and point it at me....but seriously, the "save the children" argument has been so over used and misused, it is becoming meaningless.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: Rainman

Only if they have a gun and point it at me....but seriously, the "save the children" argument has been so over used and misused, it is becoming meaningless.

I'll bet the meaning takes on a whole new level of freshness when it's a child you helped raise.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
F
F
My Aunt never found the humor in it. Maybe you were a bad human before you heard that story!

I'm more like a pond servant.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman

I'll bet the meaning takes on a whole new level of freshness when it's a child you helped raise.

Spark I love you man but you can come up with some extreme examples sometimes man. What does that even mean does a lost 9 year old count?? Come on man to any normal person protecting their property there not gonna pull a gun out on a 9 year old I'm sure... That's NOT what Hawk is talking about dude. And if for some reason (I wouldn't have any idea why) but if said property owner was dumb enough and did pull a gun on a 9 year old then that owner needs to be carted off to jail.

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
It's about perception, RC. Sure, the nine year old example is extreme. But to me, the idea of using violence against another person simply for stepping foot onto my property is every bit as extreme. Nine year old, twenty nine year old, seventy nine year old....doesn't matter in my eyes, TONY will not pull a gun on any of the above, simply for walking onto my place.

This has been a great thread, relevant to our ponds, with a lot of viewpoints presented and discussed. I am so encouraged to think that we may be able to discuss the hard stuff, not just answer "Filamentous Algae" and "Green Sunfish" all the time. In my opinion we need to discuss the difficult issues, calmly and coolly, without resorting to name calling and insults, and/or moderator intervention. And we did it with this thread.

But, when the notion of violence against another enters the picture, then I think a line has been crossed. I respect all opinions, but find it difficult to sit by and let talk of violence lie unquestioned.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I agree my first step would not to be pull a gun on an adult either just because they were at my place? Heck they may be there to just say hey and welcome to the neighborhood or hey I saw someone over here the other day and just wanted you to know. 100 percent agree the barrel should not be the first option!!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
I certainly agree with Sparkie about the quality of the thread. We can disagree without being civil. Let's just make sure nobody suggests feeding the nine year old during the winter.

Originally Posted By: RC51
I agree my first step would not to be pull a gun on an adult either just because they were at my place.

I wouldn't pull or even show a firearm unless I was in fear for my life and prepared to use it at that moment. At least in TN, just showing a firearm during a confrontation is enough to get charged with aggravated assault. You might beat the charge, depending on the circumstances, but do you really want to spend some time in jail and pay tens of thousands of dollars just for that? Friend of mine got into some road rage shenanigans a couple of years ago, pulled off the road into a KFC, two guys got out of the other car without any weapons, started walking toward him, he has a CC and pulled, did not point it at anyone....guess who got arrested? He beat it before it went to court, but jeez, life is too damn short to waste time and money on that kind of crap.

I realize that having people come onto our own property is a different situation....but not that much so when it comes to how the law regards firearms and confrontations, for all that the press castigages "stand your ground" legislation.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
After dealing with trespassers over and over and over again that disregard proper private property/no trespass signage and after contacting the property authorities without much resolution, I would certainly fire warning shots before I would allow trespassers to force me to sell my property that I have spent years planning and building.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

F
F
Ok..... I have to throw this in.

Are you sure that the 9 year old isn't packing some heat?

Kids aren't as innocent as they used to be!!!! Everyone needs to be careful in EVERY scenario they step into! Like has been said many times already, its tricky business protecting your property and isn't for everyone.

ooooops --- I see Rainman covered that

Last edited by fish n chips; 06/10/15 11:38 AM.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Absolutely not sure, but still not ready to shoot first and find out later he didn't.

I believe the statement was: "If my property is clearly marked and you step in it I have the right to put you down."

No, In my opinion I don't.

D
D
Originally Posted By: RockvilleMDAngler
If you own any guns I would suggest doing some plinking every single time you come to the farm. And not just a .22, fire off a 30 round mag or 3 pretty rapidly once or twice a day. If you do that every time you go to the place some people will stop messing around, especially if there are new "No Trespassing" signs up every week. It won't be 100% effective but shooting is fun and it will deter some.

Ya an some of those exploding targets. Wow are they cool and report a he!! of a boom.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R

I
I
My buddy has this sign in the middle of his lane.

I
I
Here's a good one which I assume applies to MANY on this board. smile

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Well here is one thought. If I drove up there and saw folks fishing in the pond I would back out as quietly as I could and call the cops. Tell them I am here on the road and need your help. There are people on my property trespassing right now and it has to be stopped. I tried to confront them once and they got real ugly with me that's why I am calling you!

Then after all of that is done and the cops have them gone then I would pretend to leave for a while come back at dark 30 and sit on my porch (no lights on) sit with one of those million candle watt spot lights for when you need it and wait for them. Phone in one hand and gun if you need it! Cause you know there gonna come back and try something! As soon as you here them or know for sure it's a person trespassing call the cops again hopefully they will arrive while they are still there and bust them again! Course you know as well as I do sooner or later they are gonna catch you while your not there! But if you have on record they been busted twice on your property they will be prime suspects then the cops can go knocking on their door!!

Yes you may lose some stuff in the process or have some stuff damaged that's where you have to decide what its worth.

Or you could just sell the place and give in and let the dick heads win!! Sorry people like that just piss me off! I would randomly take time off and show up at night and all kinds of stuff if my property were only 45 minutes away that's nothing for me at 75 miles an hour. Heck I do that now and my land is 94 miles away! Get something real good on gas and start making some trips and fight for what is yours!!

Sorry that's just me talking! smile

RC

Last edited by RC51; 06/10/15 03:09 PM.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Well said!

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
G
From other people's experiences along with my own, the trespassers in my neck of the woods have usually been teenagers or young adults. Often, it's a temporary thing, for they usually grow up and move on to bigger and better things in life.

If an older, serial trespasser IS encountered, that too is likely a temporary thing, because such a person is likely mentally inept, or too stupid to remain a free member of society.

I would also hazard a guess that the vast majority of vandalism perpetrated on vacant property is done so by teenagers .............. Especially drunken teenagers.

With 30 acres, once a full time resident along with a couple of good dogs is known to be onsite no one in their right mind is likely to trespass over a fence. There is no perfect solution for securing a vacant property, but getting to know some of the neighbors is a good start. Most landowners share the common interest of having their private property respected. If it appears that you're surrounded by idiots, sell immediately.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: gully washer
From other people's experiences along with my own, the trespassers in my neck of the woods have usually been teenagers or young adults. Often, it's a temporary thing, for they usually grow up and move on to bigger and better things in life.

If an older, serial trespasser IS encountered, that too is likely a temporary thing, because such a person is likely mentally inept, or too stupid to remain a free member of society.

I would also hazard a guess that the vast majority of vandalism perpetrated on vacant property is done so by teenagers .............. Especially drunken teenagers.

With 30 acres, once a full time resident along with a couple of good dogs is known to be onsite no one in their right mind is likely to trespass over a fence. There is no perfect solution for securing a vacant property, but getting to know some of the neighbors is a good start. Most landowners share the common interest of having their private property respected. If it appears that you're surrounded by idiots, sell immediately.

Agree with this. Nice.

G
G
Originally Posted By: Zep

I'm browsing the internet looking at these prefab units.

Maybe find an old retired guy to live on our place
for free and sit on the porch with a shotgun.

Wouldn't be a bad gig for the right person.

From the looks of dem' digs, sign me up!............ Uh, do you mind if I occasionally invite my biker buddies from Waco, to come over for long weekend parties?

T
T
Originally Posted By: IAHawkFisher
Here's a good one which I assume applies to MANY on this board. smile

I have to get some of these, best trespassing sign I have ever seen.

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
F
F
Originally Posted By: RC51
Here in Arkansas the purple paint on the trees means one thing. NOOOOO Trespassing it is enforced by law and is the same as having signs up. Cause with signs they could fall down or tear on their own by wind or rain or branches hitting them. Not a bad idea to have a both but anyone down here knows. Purple paint means keep off!!! Private Property!

RC

In Virginia its a posted sign or a vertical stripe of Aluminum/silver paint at
least 2" wide x 8" long - at a height of between 3 to 6'

I put signs with fence up when I first bought the place and we had the usual " been hunting/walking here for 30 years / since I was a kid with no problems"
A local farmer hays the place and he spread the word some and the local hunt club president was also a farmer and I told him I hunted with a dog hunt club for 35 years and I know all the tricks. I will call you if I find a dog on the property and you can come pick it up . But if any body comes on the property you better be walking and not have a gun or I will prosecute. In VA there is a law you can trespass to retrieve your dog. It stops the illegal" just picking up my dog while hunting"excuse .
It also helps when you wife don't take no crap either.
She has run em out holding her 357 at her side .
All that seems to have cured the problem except about once a year they get a wild hair and back the dog truck up to our back fence , drop the tail gate and let the pack loose.
I'm here I just get in the middle of the hunt and it breaks it up.

T
T
Sparkie, I've been thinking about the fishing outfit u posted while back and now I see why trespassers might pass u by. They are thinking that guy is a Nut, better stay away from him smile

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: TGW1
Sparkie, I've been thinking about the fishing outfit u posted while back and now I see why trespassers might pass u by. They are thinking that guy is a Nut, better stay away from him smile

Tracy

See, having a mindset vastly different than the majority has advantages! grin

Expecting esshup and Matt Rayl here tonight, I'll try not to shoot first and ask questions later. wink

T
T
Put up a few of the attached signs. Make a few stuffed dummies and place around the property with bayonet wounds inflicted. Make arrangements with the local Sherriff to come to the property and pick you up and release you. Make sure when you do this that you be in green underwear with camo body paint all over with a big Rambo knife for them to have in hand while they walk you in and out. (MAKE SURE THE SHERRIF HAS THE DEPUTIES GO BY AND TELL ALL YOUR NEIGHBORS). Pay a stranger to locals to occasionally to go buy the property and discharge weapons (preferably fully auto). IT doesn't hurt to have a swing sitting out by a road that people travel on with some dummies on it. You can have the stranger you pay (or you when you visit) go sit in it and read pond boss while swinging with the stuffed people. Soon you will find most of your issues involving trespass will no longer be a problem. wink
NOTE: this post is in no way about making fun of people that may have PTSD as I have friends that do have it.

Attached Images
ptsd_medicated_veteran_yard_sign.jpg
Last edited by Tums; 06/10/15 04:20 PM.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??