Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (anthropic), 750 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: IAHawkFisher
There's no way in hell I'd want to hire someone or have someone stay out on my property just to watch it.

Caretakers beware of Grundy Center Hawkeye!

Fishing has never been about the fish....

C
C
so if I put fence up with barbed wire on top with no trespassing sign and they get injured going over the fence then I'm liable? (i wouldn't take it that far but I'm wondering how the liability part works for those who trespass and how far we are allowed to go to keep them out)

Maybe along the lines of the other poster above we can lay some 'live' trip wires with current and put a sign out that says warning entering high voltage area?

The lines could be electric fence to keep in domesticated animals or to protect a 'garden' I know at farms around here single strand electric fence is effective at keeping out unwanted folk and is legal as it is required to keep pasturing animals on their own property.

Hmm...

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah here too if you say you have permission to be here. You must have a written consent form with the owners signature on it in your pocket or all bets are off!! If you don't have it your there illegally period.

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
That is why I put 2 wires on my fence rather than just one, and why I used posts with reasonably high visibility. It is illegal to lay out booby traps to harm trespassers. Now if you are reasonably fearful for your safety, all bets are off as far as protecting yourself or others in person.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Is it just me or is that F'ed up!! It's illegal to put out traps on my own fricken land in case a trespasser gets caught in one.... What..... Wow what stupid rules...

That's like my neighbor has called the cops on me 3 times for shooting at my place. Shotgun / .22 cal/ 20 gauge and the cops have to come out. And each time they come out they sit down with me and shoot the bull for a while and then leave. Cause it's not illegal what I am doing.... but my idiot neighbor gets mad about it. I have stopped shooting as much these days only because I do not live there full time and like you all said I don't want something all of a sudden happening to my cabin or my pond somehow... so I'm playing nice for now but as soon as I live there 24/7 I don't care what he doesn't like. The cops said I have the right to shoot from 6AM to 10PM. I thought to myself why would you be shooting at 10PM?? I mean I always shoot at decent hours between 10 and 8 never to early never to late.

I told the wife wow I've lived in town my whole life with neighbors right next to me and never had any issues. I buy 12 acres with a pond out in BFE and now I have neighbors pissed at me... Ughhh frown frown

RC

Last edited by RC51; 06/09/15 01:25 PM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
It would have been nice (and smarter) if your neighbor negotiated with you to voluntarily shoot when its less bothersome to him or her, especially since you are engaging in a legal hobby. Folks often try to live where they are comfortable with the rules. In rural areas, folks shoot guns. In the suburbs, there are community rules. Unfortunately city folks often learn about the country from magazines and then move to the country and try to change the rules to match the magazine image. The result is a lot of stress for everyone.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: RC51
Is it just me or is that F'ed up!! It's illegal to put out traps on my own fricken land in case a trespasser gets caught in one.... What..... Wow what stupid rules...RC

yes RC51...it is a wacked world we live in

get drunk...have a wreck...sue the bar

smoke for 30 years..get cancer...every pack said warning...sue the tobacco company

In 1997, Larry Harris of Illinois broke into a bar owned by Jessie Ingram. Ingram, the victim of several break-ins, had recently set a trap around his windows to deter potential burglars. Harris, 37, who was under the influence of both alcohol and drugs, must have missed the warning sign prominently displayed in the window. He set off the trap as he entered the window, electrocuting himself. The police refused to file murder charges. Harris's family saw it differently, however, and filed a civil suit against Ingram. A jury originally awarded the Harris family $150,000. Later, the award was reduced to $75,000 when it was decided Harris should share at least half of the blame.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Seriously fellas'? Booby traps? What happens when the 9 year old wanders away from home, gets lost, and ends up on your place? Maybe you have legal recourse and escape unscathed, but geez, I would hate to try and sleep at night.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
C
C
the poison arrows were just a hypothetical in my last post smile... I agree, anyone can get lost or be on private property innocently and that is why I could not use the spike strips. It might be my own boy hotrodding on the garden tractor and I may end up spiking my own tractor tires and spilling all the beet juice out of the tires smile

It is strange though how there seems so much legal precedence to protect the wellbeing of those who are in the act of doing something illegal.

I often wonder if my dog was the aggressive type and bit the guy who was sheepishly sneaking in and bucket stocking my pond, would I have been in a lot of trouble?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Spike strips are also considered booby traps....not to mention how many wild critters might step on them.

I agree with you on how well protected otherwise criminal activity can be, not to mention how limited we can be in defending our property.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Seriously fellas'? Booby traps? What happens when the 9 year old wanders away from home, gets lost, and ends up on your place? Maybe you have legal recourse and escape unscathed, but geez, I would hate to try and sleep at night.

Satire, sparky, satire! Calm down or I'll come over and put otter tracks all over your pond banks! grin

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Property owners need to get their legislators involved to pass a criminal trespass law like Louisiana's. Essentially, with few exceptions, the law is 'if you don't own the property, stay off it' unless you have the landowner's permission to be there. There is no fencing requirement and no need for signage. The law has provided much needed and many faceted relief for property owners.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
CC, this ties in sweetly with the other thread. If the law is truly black and white, then everyone your dog bites, on your property, has equal recourse to claim damages against you. From a legal standpoint. But now we're thinking that the thief who was bitten, deserves less protection and sympathy than the 80 year old Sunday School teacher who was there innocently to invite your family to church?

And I agree! That's why the need to read between the lines, and study the intent of the law rather than it's physical structure, is so important in my eyes. Everybody wants to talk about the good ole days... fine, but remember how sheriff Taylor administered justice in Mayberry, back in those fictional good ole days? Did he discharge his duties by the letter of the law, or did he choose to look at intent more often than not?

Yeah I know, Television. But I'm willing to bet there existed that same mindset in real life, everyday America, back in the day.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: Rainman

Satire, sparky, satire! Calm down or I'll come over and put otter tracks all over your pond banks! grin

Was it satire before my post, or after? wink

Lunker
Lunker
Even somewhat innocent booby traps might get you in trouble. grin

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/trespassing-hunter-gets-blasted-paint-video/

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
what is illegal about creating a barrier to entry to your own private property? If that barrier is perceived (like a sign that warns of toxic waters or rabid animals that keeps people out) or physical (like a simple gate or tall fence), or seen but potentially dangerous (like barbed wire on top of a fence or spike strips?)

Isn't the beware of dog sign (which works by nature of the fact that they can't see the dog but likely he is there) similar to a beware of spike strips (also unseen but probably lurking under the dirt where they would have to choose to drive over them or not)?

I don't think anyone would get injured, although possibly if they were going very fast on their dirt bike and had a flat tire something could happen, where is the legality when damage occurs to their vehicle while they were trespassing?

Actually, a "Beware Of Dog" sign, INCREASES your liability....it could imply you know your dog is vicious and if it bites someone, you failed to restrain it. You might lose your one shot at not knowing your dog would bite defense.

Electric fences are awesome....even electrified barbed wire, but they need to be prominently flagged every few feet, and can't be lethal voltage. Spike strips and other assorted booby traps would be pre-meditated assault and with wanton disregard...but sure fun to think about when people ignore your land!...lol

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
sheriff Taylor

i loved Otis!

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Rex, you're welcome to bring that paw-on-a-stick over here and wreak havoc. Still willing to bet I wouldn't throw down on my defenseless PVC drainpipe, thinking it was an otter however wink

(yep, one time....do it one time, and it haunts you forever! grin)

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Everybody loved Otis!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Rex, you're welcome to bring that paw-on-a-stick over here and wreak havoc. Still willing to bet I wouldn't throw down on my defenseless PVC drainpipe, thinking it was an otter however wink

(yep, one time....do it one time, and it haunts you forever! grin)

That was below the belt Tony, and seriously endangers your PVC from retaliation, (or blindness)!

Last edited by Rainman; 06/09/15 03:07 PM. Reason: typo correction...at least it was a B where an N went this time, and the word used was not bigger.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Everybody loved Otis!

True...except Barney sometimes...lol

F
F
I had a great aunt who was really old when I was a boy, so this probably happened in the early 1900's. Her husband was fed up with people (presumably) stealing his chickens. He rigged up a 12 gauge shotgun to the door and either didn't tell his wife or she forgot. She went out to gather the eggs one morning and walked the rest of her life with a wooden leg. Only Rambo gets away with booby traps.

I'm more like a pond servant.
I
I
I'm curious how the state of TX handles trespassing.

My dad has about 80 acres of timber and he gets trespassers all the time. He even found a local Cub Scout group camping there. What kind of a Cub Scout leader would camp out in private property? My dad didn't even really care.

Him and I have completely opposite views on the subject. Maybe I was born in the wrong century as I think you should be able to protect your property with a gun. If my property is clearly marked and you step in it I have the right to put you down.

I
I
Originally Posted By: FishyFishy
She went out to gather the eggs one morning and walked the rest of her life with a wooden leg.

For some reason I can't stop laughing at this. Does this make me a bad human???? laugh

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: IAHawkFisher
I'm curious how the state of TX handles trespassing.

My dad has about 80 acres of timber and he gets trespassers all the time. He even found a local Cub Scout group camping there. What kind of a Cub Scout leader would camp out in private property? My dad didn't even really care.

Him and I have completely opposite views on the subject. Maybe I was born in the wrong century as I think you should be able to protect your property with a gun. If my property is clearly marked and you step in it I have the right to put you down.

You feel you have the right to kill someone for walking onto your property? Do lost nine year olds count?

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails