Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
3 members (ArkieJig, buzzdpm, Steve Clubb), 1,009 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#413922 06/03/15 02:34 PM
T
Tbar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I am building a fish holding pin that measures 3' x 3' x 6'. It will stand on end allowing the fish to drop to 5'-6' depth.

I am wanting to hold fish in this pin for several days or up to a week until I get ready to eat them. Total depth of the water in this area is 8' and will be shaded by the dock from the afternoon sun.

How long can I expect to keep them healthy without feeding them? This area is abundent minnows, brim and bugs.

T
Tbar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Target species will be BC and maybe a few brim. Would like to stock maybe a dozen fish at a time.

T-bar,
...nice pen...years ago, we had a place on False River, an old oxbow lake in south central LA. We had a similar "live well" attached to our pier. When we caught keeper gills and crappie, we just threw them in the well. We had them in there in many cases for a couple weeks. As long as they are not too overcrowded or the water gets too hot or stagnant, I would think they would be ok. Try a handful for a short period and go from there. I think catfish would be more stressed by the cage than sunfish. Post a pic when you're done.

...when in doubt...set the hook...
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Tbar,

That looks good man I have one very close to that but half the size. Here it is. We kept these fish in it for about a week in about 15 inches of water no problems.

Attached Images
Fish Cage.jpg

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
T
Tbar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: RC51
Tbar,

That looks good man I have one very close to that but half the size. Here it is. We kept these fish in it for about a week in about 15 inches of water no problems.

Thanks for the pic. I am trying to decide if I should wrap to the inside or the outside of the PVC. My netting is plasticc

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you wrap the inside, when you use a net to get the fish out, they won't be able to hide behind the PVC pipe like they do when the netting is on the outside of the cage/pen.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
Tbar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Cage is complete.....delivering to the dock.

It is very buoyant so I drilled holes in it so it would sink. I have two sets of mounting brackets.....one set low and one set high when you want to net them out.

Fishing is great right next to the cage. First resident.

Feed in the basket is to try and draw in minnows. BG's are beating on the corner of the cage trying to get at it.

15 BC in the cage now and most will get eaten tomorrow for lunch.

Nice looking holding pen and really good looking dock. Last year I built myself a holding pen very similar to yours. I went to pull it out of the water to get out the bass that I had put in there over a couple of days of fishing only to find a rather large snapping turtle.

2011 five acre pond. LMB, SMB, HSB, SPB, BG, CNBG, HBG, RES, WM, CC, BCP, GC, FHM, GSH
T
Tbar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: djnks
Nice looking holding pen and really good looking dock. Last year I built myself a holding pen very similar to yours. I went to pull it out of the water to get out the bass that I had put in there over a couple of days of fishing only to find a rather large snapping turtle.

Wow...!!!

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Nice cage and beautiful dock - well done!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Tbar, you're one of those guys that aggravate me. Ya plan ahead and then make it look nice and work. Nice job !!

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
W
W
This thread is about the pen, but I am staring at the dock the whole time lol. Awesome dock...... and pen too! haha

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
C
C
Very very nice TBAR,
I have an idea that I'm working on and am trying to find a plastic mesh of the correct size. Can you share what the hole size is on the black plastic mesh? What size width and length rolls does it come in? Where did you source it?

I'm trying to find a way to make a fish corral in my pond that stays in place. I'd like a smaller opening or gate and then let it stay in place for fish to get used to it. Then hopefully I can section the pond, attract the fish by pellet feeding and later close the corral to net out unwanted goldfish.

Your mesh size seems to be right to allow the minnows out but keep larger fish in.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Tbar,

I've overwintered fish in a 3' x 3' x 4' cage of similar construction.

I use mine as a holding pen for the next fish dinner, and also for fish that have been deep-hooked or otherwise injured. I hand feed the cage.

Mine is tied to the dock, and floats with kid's pool "noodles." The noodles also keep feed from floating out.

Great looking job and dock.

Last edited by catmandoo; 06/05/15 03:55 PM. Reason: Corecting the spelling checker

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
T
Tbar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Very very nice TBAR,
I have an idea that I'm working on and am trying to find a plastic mesh of the correct size. Can you share what the hole size is on the black plastic mesh? What size width and length rolls does it come in? Where did you source it?

I'm trying to find a way to make a fish corral in my pond that stays in place. I'd like a smaller opening or gate and then let it stay in place for fish to get used to it. Then hopefully I can section the pond, attract the fish by pellet feeding and later close the corral to net out unwanted goldfish.

Your mesh size seems to be right to allow the minnows out but keep larger fish in.

This is the product I used.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/HDX-3-ft-x-25-ft-Black-PVC-Poultry-Fence-889240HD/204331921/

F
F
What are ya'll using for a lid to keep birds out? What size mesh would I need to keep snakes out? Anyone had problems with birds or snakes in their box?

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
C
C
posted in error

Last edited by canyoncreek; 06/05/15 12:13 PM.
C
C
error. meant to be PM message

Last edited by canyoncreek; 06/05/15 12:13 PM.
V
Fingerling
Fingerling
V
I built a similar one and floated it with those pool noodles like Catmandoo, but had a couple problems.

First, the noodles floated it so the top was just a couple inches above the water and though it worked well for holding my HBG and BG, the catfish would go over the top every time. I lost several, including my daughter's 5 lb pond record - not very happy with Daddy the next morning. I like the way you have it, Tbar, suspended up outa the water a bit.

Second problem is that by the end of the first summer, the noodles had been exposed to the sun too long and began shedding little pieces that would get all over your hands and could be seen floating in the water.

Thanks for posting those pictures, I hadn't thought of hanging it off the side of the dock.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Flame
What are ya'll using for a lid to keep birds out? What size mesh would I need to keep snakes out? Anyone had problems with birds or snakes in their box?

Here is my cage with the lid. I put 3 coats of Fort Thompsons sealer on it and it works fine for now. I know it's wood and I may have to replace sooner or later but it works.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I made cages 2 ways, with a top that is loosly zip tied to the top rail of the cage, or by using larger "T"'s and using them as hinges.

Using gallon milk jugs bleach bottles as floats:

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
C
Do all the pictures show 1" schedule 40 pvc?

F
F
I like what everyone is doing but have a quick question. Would a collapsible metal floating fish basket work? Seems simple and I have seen them 18"x30" in size. That should hold a lot of cnbg and small bass. Just hang it from the side of your dock or pontoon boat in my case. Pros and cons? Something I'm missing? Are they just not big enough?

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: vamaz
I built a similar one and floated it with those pool noodles like Catmandoo, but had a couple problems.

First, the noodles floated it so the top was just a couple inches above the water and though it worked well for holding my HBG and BG, the catfish would go over the top every time. I lost several, including my daughter's 5 lb pond record - not very happy with Daddy the next morning. I like the way you have it, Tbar, suspended up outa the water a bit.

Second problem is that by the end of the first summer, the noodles had been exposed to the sun too long and began shedding little pieces that would get all over your hands and could be seen floating in the water.

Thanks for posting those pictures, I hadn't thought of hanging it off the side of the dock.

I do replace the noodles near the beginning of each season. I wait for Wally-World to put their pool supplies and pool toys on sale when I can get them for about dollar a piece.

I too have had an issue with the catfish. They are the only fish that escape, even though I have a top. Half of the top on that cage is just held in place by its own buoyancy. I've held large LMB, HSB, BG, crappie, etc., without any issues.

I've built enough cages to find that there are a number of good plastic fence products of different shapes and colors. All of the ones I've used have come from either Lowes or Home Depot. Some have had square holes, some have had hexagon holes. They have been green, black, or orange. All have worked equally well.

The cable/zip ties are probably the most important. Get good ones that are rated for UV and outdoor use.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Do all the pictures show 1" schedule 40 pvc?

Yes. I make the lid a bit longer than the cage is (front to back) so the frame rests on the frame of the cage. I attach a rope to it, flip it away from me and it floats in the pond. I pull on the rope to flip it back over the top of the cage.

Metal "netting" will beat up the fins of the fish. Not a big deal if you are cutting them up, but something that you don't want to happen if you are using the cage to raise the fish to a larger size before releasing them into the pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy