Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,088
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS, Theo Gallus), 746 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#413919 06/03/15 02:00 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Hello everyone. I've been on here in the past and have had no need to ask questions for some time. Here's my info. We are on our 5th season of a 3.5 acre pond here in Iowa. It has Vertex aeration, we do supplemental feeding from 3 feeders. Water clarity has been pretty clear this spring. Not a lot of rain but enough to keep full pool. We had warmer than average temps in April and we started feeding early. We had good feeding going. May has been cool. We had Black Crappies spawn in April. As the water temps in the shallows got closer to the 70 mark our larger bluegills stopped coming to the feeder for the most part. We have seen a few beds but usually don't see many with the clear water they tend to spawn out of our sight. They tend to leave the feeder for a while as well. As the spawn started we had cool temps and lows over night drop into the 40's and a few 30's. Water temps were really swinging in the shallows. Surface from 78 down to low 60's in some cases then back in the low 70's a week later. I'm not in any panic as I've seen fish die off during the spawn....especially transplant older fish. We have been seeing mostly larger bluegill and a handful of crappies dying off. Fish appear close to shore lathargic and some with large white patches. We condition these fish well with food but I'm wondering if at times the stress is just too much when combined with large weather change. We continue to loose a few every day. Probably around 30 now in about 10 days with about 5 crappies. A few maybe mortality by hook....we had some kids fishing...but most would not be. Am I guessing right for the most part.....?

Thanks

Thinkeyes13,
Welcome to Pond Boss...sorry to hear about your fish die-off. You didn't mention the depth of your pond. Here in SE Texas, at certain times of the year we have pretty aggressive temperature changes, but with a pond averaging 8' deep, I don't get too concerned about that. Have you checked water quality recently (pH)? Is it mostly big (adult) fish dying? You mentioned "white patches" on the lethargic fish...I think that would concern me most. Can you post pics of fish with these white spots? Has any kind of fertilizers or insecticides been sprayed nearby? Could it be something in the watershed? Just a few things to think about. I'm sure one of the resident pros will be along soon.

...when in doubt...set the hook...
Lunker
Lunker
I am thinking ich or a fungus. Sometimes fish can acquire a fungus from rough handling, possibly the kids that were out recently.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Bluegill died off en mass in many areas this past winter at many large fish farms. The farms I have spoken with are not 100% certain of the causes, yet feeds are the primary suspect. The thoughts are... the feeds are growing the fish, but in ways that are shortening life spans considerably. IDK if feeds are the cause or not, but what I have seen is die off's have been far more prevalent this year in supplementally fed ponds than unfed ones.

Coupled with large numbers of pond owners that waited till this spring to re-stock ponds that had major winter kills in 2013's deep freeze, demand for the most common fish like Golden Shiners, Fatheads and Bluegill has been huge, leaving many species very hard to find and in short supply for stocking.

Last edited by Rainman; 06/03/15 03:21 PM.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Or could it be something in the food!! Just playing. I feed my BG going on five years now but I don't feed very much each year. Maybe some folks are over feeding them?? From mid March until Mid October I might go though 6 bags of 50 pound AM. I use it more as a treat for them not as a staple food! I have not had any issues. Knock on wood!!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
RC51 #413943 06/03/15 05:34 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My SWAG is a combination of things. Possibly the food (fish growing fast, etc., fatty livers, etc.) but without a necropsy we'll never know. But, I'd put my money on stress.

Fungus is growing because of stress, either from spawning or handling from angling. Removing the slime coat allows an open door for the fungus. Healthy, non-stressed fish replenish slime coats fast, stressed fish are slower.

Dragging the fish on the ground, dry hands, etc. all help to remove the slime coat.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #414027 06/04/15 08:51 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks all. I figure stress as well. Year before we had a normal spring and had no die off. This has been one extreme to another. I appreciate all the feedback. We have fed a little more this year...early. You feel like you are doing them good but maybe too much. LOL. I'm sure with the temps coming up and more stable temps and the end of the spawn this will all come to an end. Just wanted to share. I'm not worried.....but I know a lot of new owners would be flipping out.

Travis

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday