Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,059
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
20 members (FishinRod, esshup, Justin W, Augie, bstone261, jpsdad, emactxag, Ron crismon, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus), 695 guests, and 160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
O
O
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Supplier called yesterday, no AQ this week either. Maybe next week.....

My 500 and 600 came in yesterday and my supplier said there is lots in the Dallas warehouse now.
They are still waiting on the 400.

F
F
Just got my feed today!!!! So from the time I placed the order till now is 2 weeks. I feel lucky, it seems some of you have been waiting longer than that.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: fish n chips
Just got my feed today!!!! So from the time I placed the order till now is 2 weeks. I feel lucky, it seems some of you have been waiting longer than that.

Nine weeks and counting.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
M
mpc Offline
M
Received a call from my supplier today, Aquamax is in East Tx.

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.
JoeG #412386 05/22/15 03:46 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JoeG
I have ordered a bag of Melick Aquafeed from right here in PA, 42/16 in 7.5 mm size, cost was 28.50 for the feed, $28 to ship plus sales tax, gotta be close to $60 for 50 lb to my door. I have 200 lbs of grower 600 on back order. My local co op has very poor service anyway and I am seeking alternatives at this point. Anyone ever use Melick?

I have great respect for the Melick feed, and have literally used tons of it. However, to do so, we usually ordered a minimum of a "pup trailer" load - which is a 28-foot semi-trailer load. If there were other orders in our area, we would sometimes get one-third to one-half of a 48-foot or 53-foot trailer load. All was in 50 lb. bags on pallets. That was all we could reasonably store.

These feeds were always very high quality, and we were able to achieve incredible conversion rates with various sinking feeds for trout in large spring-fed concrete raceways.

We had very similar results with another company out of PA -- Zeigler Brothers, Inc. There too, we were buying full 28-foot pup trailers, or half of 48 to 53 foot trailer loads.

I broke down yesterday and got two bags of Cargill Sportsman's Choice TropyFish feed from Tractor Supply. It felt kind of like substituting tofu and Portobello mushrooms for a holiday cookout of Japanese Kobi beef.

But, that is what I had to choose from. Our two local Purina suppliers are far less than helpful for the small amount of food we individually buy. To me, it is a chicken and egg issue. I don't want to wait 2-4 weeks for a delivery that may or may not arrive. They don't want to stock something I won't pick up because it takes so damn long to get it into a store 30 miles away.

Based on the specs and ingredient list, what I bought yesterday seems similar, but a little inferior to the generic fish food I get at our local farm co-op for about 1/2 the Cargill price. Both show crude protein at a minimum of 36%. The Cargill crude fat is listed at a minimum of 4%, vs., the 6% for the generic. The Cargill crude fiber is listed at a maximum of 7% vs. 5.5% for the generic.

These are not at protein/ingredient levels I want. The products show animal protein either first (generic) or fourth (Cargill). The rest is grain and chemicals in both. I have no idea what "animal protein" might be. But there are many millions of chickens within a 25 mile radius of my place. About 200,000 to 250,000 usually reside less than a mile downstream from my place. They go to a processing plant about 30-40 miles away. Each day, many tractor trailer loads of feathers go off for processing from the main plant. It is just my guess that chicken feathers are a major part of the "animal protein."

I'm thinking we may now be a big enough US-lower-48 group, with clout and enough storage capacity, to start our own co-op to serve what I perceive as a rather large private water owners group in the lower 48.

I've got about a 2000 square foot climate-controllable unused building on our farm, with its own 200 amp power service, telephone/DSL, water well, concrete floor, and well insulated walls. I'm about a mile off US Route 50, 15 miles from I-81 which is the major north-south transit route for drugs, moonshine, illegal cigarettes, and many legal shipments between the northeast and the gulf coast. I'm pretty close to where the west end of I-66 connects to I-81. I-66 connects I-81 to Washington DC and I-95, the other major east coast north-south transportation route from Florida to Maine.

I really don't want to go back into business or go back to a job. I'm loving retirement. But, maybe several of us could think about starting a non-profit regional delivery co-op, for various hard-to-get aquaculture supplies, to satisfy the market for high quality private waters products. Many of the wealthiest of the wealthiest in the world own farms within 50 miles east of me. They own huge farms, with trophy horses, the best of the best cattle, and many have multiple ponds they like to use for relaxation.

This may be something that shouldn't be on the PB forum -- at least not right now. I'm looking at this as a neutral production, where it is neither a money-making nor a money-losing venture. However, I see it as something that can help us all.

Send me a PM with your ideas. Maybe as a group we can do something to make our water/fish management more scientific and less stressful for all of us.

Just my feeble thoughts.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
W
Fingerling
Fingerling
W
I have 4 lakes and have been feeding the 600 as well as the chunks. Now I can't get anything and I am feeding catfish feed. I am raising Hybrid a Stripe Bass and LMB.
In 5 years they are now in the 7 lb range. I am afraid I will lose some growth on them. I am upset but there is nothing I can do. Sure disappointed in Purina. Hope someone steps in and fills the gap.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
We are very pleased with Cargill fish feed for growth and condition of our HSB and CNBG for the past few years since AQMX began providing inconsistant quality and service.
Don't have the specs on hand for the feed since son Jeff takes care of the feed business, but it is comparable to the old reliable AQMX we used for many years.

We are very fortunate in our area having Overton Fisheries nearby to pick up as needed. Others in area have it delivered in large quantities.
G/

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
I've got about a 2000 square foot climate-controllable unused building on our farm, with its own 200 amp power service, telephone/DSL, water well, concrete floor, and well insulated walls. I'm about a mile off US Route 50, 15 miles from I-81 which is the major north-south transit route for drugs, moonshine, illegal cigarettes, and many legal shipments between the northeast and the gulf coast. I'm pretty close to where the west end of I-66 connects to I-81. I-66 connects I-81 to Washington DC and I-95, the other major east coast north-south transportation route from Florida to Maine.

I really don't want to go back into business or go back to a job. I'm loving retirement. But, maybe several of us could think about starting a non-profit regional delivery co-op, for various hard-to-get aquaculture supplies, to satisfy the market for high quality private waters products.

Sounds like you could do a higher $/volume buisness than fish food with those facilities, Mr. G. wink

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I am about done with Purina's exhibiting a complete lack of interest over the last 2-3 years in consistently supplying a quality fish food anymore. Quality has been VERY inconsistent, customer service has become almost non-existent, and supply is spotty at best with no correction or explanations given or seen on the horizon.

Skettering Nelson's Silver/Gold Cup and Cargill have quality feeds, want the market share in smaller pond feed sales, and have supplies....maybe it's time to make a switch

Last edited by Rainman; 05/26/15 07:42 PM.

george1 #412848 05/26/15 07:38 PM
P
P
Originally Posted By: george1
We are very pleased with Cargill fish feed for growth and condition of our HSB and CNBG for the past few years since AQMX began providing inconsistant quality and service.
Don't have the specs on hand for the feed since son Jeff takes care of the feed business, but it is comparable to the old reliable AQMX we used for many years.

We are very fortunate in our area having Overton Fisheries nearby to pick up as needed. Others in area have it delivered in large quantities.
G/

You are so right Mr G. Thank goodness for Todd. Had problems with Purina with rabbit food. Found out that they ain't the only game in town.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
We've been feeding Skretting for several weeks now, and the LMB, HBG, CC, and YP seem to take it just fine. The HSB and BG are a little different story.

Be aware also that Skretting has several different product formulations, and not all utilize a fish based protein source.

+1. I get my menhaden based Skretting from my fish farm. I called Skretting several weeks back out of curiosity. You need to order 5 ton minimum before the mill will run the good stuff for you. Skreting primarily caters to fish farms as they have about zero distribution network in the US. They are relatively new to the US market. They bought out Silvercup. My impression was that you can count their entire US office staff on two fingers and a toe!

Last edited by Bill D.; 05/26/15 08:15 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Ten weeks after initial order....checked with feed supplier today, still no joy.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My feed store called Tuesday and said that they had some.

Want to make a trip up North? laugh

Or LMK what you want. I should be down in your area stocking a pond within 2 weeks.

Last edited by esshup; 05/28/15 08:10 PM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
This Aquamax issue is just so unfortunate.

I met a fish truck this morning at about 7:00 AM, with their schedule showing them to be ready to start filling orders by 7:30 AM. I was at least 15th in line, even though I was 30 minutes early. This truck, and their main competitor, show up alternate weeks at competing farm supply outlets in our area. There are also several who do direct pond stocking.

By the time I placed my order with the fish truck this morning, there were a lot more customers behind me. The truck had run out of fatheads by the time I was placing my order. The people ahead of me got the last of the grass carp. The guy behind me had pre-ordered about $600 worth of fish to stock a new pond. He owns several other ponds. So, by about 8:00 AM, this truck was already very low on stock, with the rest of today and tomorrow before they can restock without affecting their schedule. The driver and his helper looked stressed. My guess is that they would not be able to complete deliveries today and tomorrow due to demand for pond fish.

What this has been leading to is that we have thousands of ponds in my area. Many are in the very wealthiest counties in the US.

We are also a pretty significant agricultural area that uses huge amounts of animal feed.

I don't know what the local market really is, but I sure see a lot of fish feed being sold when I'm in farm supply stores. I use a meager 40-60 lbs., per month - but im just one of very many. I figure I'm just one of a group that extends well into the thousands, of people like me within about a 25 mile radius, who rely on high quality fish feed.

How Purina can still be ignoring us, after several years of people like me wanting their nearly unobtainable Aquamax products, is unbelievable.

Enough!

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
IMHO decisions today are made by the finance people in big corporations (I work for one). Someone got a big bonus and maybe a promotion for this idea. Rest assured, Purina will come out on top and loyal customers will flock back. 2 years from now, nobody will remember what they did. Just my 2 cents.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
My fish are enjoying the Melick feed at the moment, the co-op called and my grower 600 is in so I will pick that up. I dealt with big corporations for a number of years, specifically with money people, and that part may be true. I will not forget what they did in two years though, and am always looking for alternatives, have found a couple too.

Last edited by JoeG; 05/29/15 04:44 AM.
T
T
Aquamax SportFish 600 was the only high protein feed any feed store carried within a 30 min drive (furthest I checked) of where I live. My fish would eat pondfish 2000 OK, but won't hardly eat gamefish chow (main thing anyone carried).

Also, I really like the AM LMB.

I've contacted everyone in my area to find an alternative to AM 600 if/when the supply runs dry again.

My local dealer FINALLY got in some 600 in today (that I've had ordered since April).

I received an email yesterday from my Purina dealer in Bowling Green Mo. He's got AM 500 in for me. Not sure if it's from earlier production, or the new plant. I'll pick it up Saturday and see.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Success here also. Just got a call, and my AQ is here. Eleven weeks after ordering.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
And I'll have food for you next week Tony! Matt and I will drop it off when I drive by.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Excellent!!

C
C
Read an article today about the 'invasive blue catfish' being a big problem. They are trying to find ways to use a huge amount of unwanted catfish meat. Could they turn that back into a high protein source for fish food rather than using menhaden? Obviously fish don't mind eating other fish in the form of pellets..

That horrid invasive blue catfish....

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I've wondered the same thing about Silver Carp.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I finally get the AQ in, and now my fish won't eat anything but the new feed Scott and Matt brought me. Figures.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 08:04 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy