Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
7 members (Justin W, Sunil, DenaTroyer, Freg, Donatello, jludwig, catscratch), 772 guests, and 205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
OP Offline
W
Hello everyone,

My first post or question on here was regarding my pond not holding/losing water. Well, as they say, be careful what you wish for. We have received over 19 inches in about 3 weeks around where I live and my pond grew to over 3 acres and I was excited. However the last storm that came through caused another flash flood which caused the dam to spill over, which to my knowledge has never happened in the past. This over-topping has started to eat away or erode into the dam at approximately the middle of it. From the reading I have tried to do it is recommended to repair damage as quickly as possible. I work at a factory and have free reign to concrete rubble, rocks, and heavy clay filler dirt that we have piled up in the yard from installing new machines and factory lines. I have contacted the NRCS in my area and will be emailing them some pictures and they will assign it to an engineer that might be able to give me some help. In the meantime, is there anything I can do with this clay filler dirt and rubble to help patch or repair the damage already done to the dam? After I snap some pictures I will upload them here so everyone can see. Wish me luck!

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
What about placing sand bags in front of the erosion to redirect any water that might come to that area.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I second the sandbags. Direct the water from topping the dam to the emergency spillway. You DO have an emergency spillway, right??

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
T
Get a blade on that spillway and cut it deeper!

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: esshup
I second the sandbags. Direct the water from topping the dam to the emergency spillway. You DO have an emergency spillway, right??

This^^^^

And if you do, I think the middle of the dam is a curious place for it??

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
W
OP Offline
W
To be completely honest with you all I know very little about ponds and dams. I took an aerial picture of the pond from google maps and marked what I do know about the pond to help y'all see what I'm working with. I have found no pipes or culverts anywhere I have looked. What I have done is stack some square hay bales around the affected area to help slow the water/erosion but if we get another flash flood those will be useless. After stacking the hay bales and taking a step back and looking at it, I feel more confident about the dam though. I have very heavy veg all over the front and back of the dam and the area where the water had spilled over doesn't look too bad considering how much water I saw spilling over it.

Last edited by waltmagic; 05/22/15 01:28 PM.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
There isn't always a spillpipe or culvert. Most ponds that I am familiar with that utilize a pipe as the primary means of discharging excess water also utilize an emergency spillway, which around here is usually a spot, or section of the dam (almost always at the end, or corner of the dam), that is lower than the rest. Its purpose is to provide an escape for water should the primary exit (pipe) become clogged, or be unable to keep up with the flow. Rather than allowing the water to cascade over the top of the dam, this built in "low spot" makes sure it goes where you want it to.

Two of our ponds utilize a spillway as the only means to discharge water. They've worked alright for 40 years, so whoever built the things must've had a pretty good idea of what's what. They are however, in the corners of the dams, not the middle.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
W
OP Offline
W
Tell you what, the more I read and learn about pond design and management the more interesting I find it. From what I've heard from the neighbors in my area, the pond is a natural low spot in between the hills that would always fill up with water but not much(small pond). It is my understanding that the pond never had a dam constructed and if so it was decades ago. They said that the pond naturally filled but would dry out during the summer or during drought years. About 5 years or so ago the original land owner brought equipment back there after a wildfire and completely renovated the pond and built up a rather large dam(to me anyways) between the two hills. From what I can tell, if you look at my picture, in yellow at the bottom left, this area appears to be where water leaves or exits the pond, which is what looks like the lowest part of the dam(the low spot). I really don't think I have any other means of discharging water in my setup. Maybe this setup will work perfectly for many, many years, I don't know. But if I need to put extra devices or mechanisms in place to ensure this I want to plan it out and get the ball rolling because having a pond to fish every morning/day would be a slice of heaven.

Last edited by waltmagic; 05/22/15 05:04 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Look into a siphon drain. You can put one in there easily (I think) without doing too much digging.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
D
The most important thing to do is get water out of your pond. Drop the level well below the cut. Can do an over-the-top siphon, a trash pump, anything but you don't want more water going through there. If you have not stocked fish, I'd be tempted to drain it way down. When someone comes back to repair, they won't want water in there anyway.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Agree to get the water out ASAP; fish or not. If it washes out, you lose all of the soil.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
W
OP Offline
W
Well guys, before I could get back there with a pump to drain the pond yet another @#$!ing storm came and sat on top of us for 8 hours and dumped another 10 inches of rain which destroyed the road I live on and washed the dam out. It's really bad. I will upload some pictures during lunch. Kind of makes me sick but at least my house is OK(knock on wood)

T
T
Sorry to hear that. I hope that one day you will be able to reconstruct and build a dream pond that will last a lifetime.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
10 inches would flood and destroy most of us.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
W
OP Offline
W
Here are some pictures of the damage. I also updated the aerial photo and marked the wash out area. Funny thing is, the place I thought the dam would fail isn't the place that it did.

Here's some before shots

Here's the aftermath

The last pic is the newly formed creek that now runs through my neighbor's backyard...what a mess

W
OP Offline
W
If it ever stops raining..what first steps should I be taking to make repairs/rebuild the dam? I am assuming I will need to drain the pond. Thanks for the help/advice everyone. Hopefully I can rebuild it better with more flood tolerance.

O
O
I feel your pain- I had a pond built last summer outside of Stroud and the damn broke last week... Whatever you do- dont wait!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
You will want to lower the level some for repairs. A siphon can handle that pretty easily. A good track hoe operator can tie in the soils and repair the damaged area pretty quickly. Now would be a good time to make a siphon system permanent also...in case you get more 1000 year floods next month...

W
OP Offline
W
OK, I was under the impression that it would be impossible to make repairs while it is this wet but yall are saying get someone with a track hoe out here ASAP? If so I will start calling around to find someone. A permanent siphon system...can someone point me to some reference material/reading on how to construct a good siphon system and I'll start rounding up parts. Wow, really thought I'd have to wait until august or something to get things done.

W
OP Offline
W
Actually Rainman posted some good information about a siphon system. I will probably model one after his. I'll use it above ground(not buried) to drain the pond as low as I can. Then once the dam is repaired dig a trench and bury it for a more permanent install. Question is the spillway or spillways. Yall think I should go with a pipe spillway or a natural "earthen" spillway or both? Once I get home I'm going to go out and take some measurements so I'll know approximately how much material to buy. Thanks everyone for the much needed advice!

M
M
With most of the damage done, you may not need to be in a great hurry. In a couple of the pictures it looked like there was some kind of a liner am I seeing that correctly.

This will not make you feel any better but I also have pictures of dams that have failed in the recent floods. It makes me sick to my stomach.

W
OP Offline
W
Hey there Mike, Ya you were seeing that right. I was wondering about the liner myself. I've heard some might put a liner inside or up against the dam to help seal it but it looks pretty strange right? Sorry to hear about the damage to your dams. If we were neighbors I'd come over and help you out if I could. For me it took a few beers and a home grilled steak but I've made peace with all the damage out here, plus building the siphon is going to be a fun project for me to work on. I'd be very happy to not be in a hurry because I've got a roof to replace, driveways to repair and a slew of other work. Hope your family, house and animals are OK. Some out here lost some livestock and had major damage to there houses.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Walt, you are going to need heavy equipment there to do repairs. I'd strongly suggest at least a primary spillway and emergency, earthen spillway (if topography allows one).

The primary can be a pipe or well designed siphon...even a pipe primary, siphon secondary and an E spillway would not be overkill since you see what can happen in a big rain event.

M
M
Rex is right now is the time to look the whole lake over, make a plan for the next fifty years. It does not matter how good a dam is, if the spillway does not carry the water in a big rain we have nothing.

W
OP Offline
W
"the next fifty years" Oh ya, that's what I'm talking about. I want a dam that outlives me laugh This weekend I'll be putting together a siphon system very similar to what rainman made and see how much water I can pump out. I found someone to operate the heavy machinery. Luckily one of my neighbors works in construction operating track hoes and bulldozers. I'm definitely going to have to haul in some dirt. On thing I noticed about the dam when I bought this place was that the top of the dam was a bit narrow, around 6 to 8 feet. I want to widen the top to at least 12 feet. I am going to do a lot of reading on here about spillways and emergency spillways. I'd like to have a setup with a siphon system, main spillway and emergency spillway. From what I can tell that is the setup most people go for. After this weekend I want to draw up a plan and post it here for yall to look over and critique. I'm very thankful for the advice yall have given me so far. Thanks everyone. I'll post updates after this weekend...fingers crossed

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images