Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,098
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (H20fwler, nvcdl, esshup, Bing, Fishingadventure, Dylanfrely, Angler8689, Sunil, jpsdad, azteca, BillyE), 679 guests, and 233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
OP Offline
I
Hi everyone, I live in NE Iowa and there's a house/pond/acreage for sale near me. The pond is absolutely gorgeous, I keep telling my wife it would "visually" be a vacation every day.

Anyways, it's described as a 6 acre pond but I'm not sure how accurate it is. I heard it was around 15 feet deep. I walked out onto the dock (shown in the picture) and it's a good 4 feet deep out there. Looks pretty clear but a lot of underwater weeds.

Here's the "problem", I'm more of a walleye, smallmouth, pike, type of guy. Don't get me wrong, I can have a lot of fun catching largemouths and bluegills, I just prefer the others I mentioned.

What do you think I could do with this pond? I would make it my baby. smile

Thanks a lot, I've been reading posts the last couple of nights on here until after midnight, I might be hooked (no pun intended) already and I don't even own anything yet.

Attached Images
pond2.jpg Pond.jpg
Last edited by IAHawkFisher; 05/30/15 09:12 PM.
IAHawkFisher,
Welcome to Pond Boss....Tons of good info and helpful folks here. Good looking place you have there...

...when in doubt...set the hook...
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Use this (if you can find the pond) to measure it.

http://acme.com/planimeter/

If you can't get a boat in there to measure depth, use a slip bobber, a weight that will sink the slip bobber and a tape measure. Keep adjusting the weight until the bobber doesn't sink any more. Keep casting around and adjusting until you find the deepest spot, then measure it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Welcome and that is a very beautiful pond. Your question is very wide open. I would bet just about anything could be done with that BOW with enough time and money. It would help if you narrowed down your goals.

FWIW- If I were looking at a BOW like that, my first move would be to get a Pond Manager with no less than 15 years of experience on site to take a look. He or she would be able to tell you what is possible and at what cost.

Be verrrry carful. This pond stuff is addicting and pry's open even the tightest of wallets (just ask my wife). laugh

Last edited by mnfish; 05/27/15 11:10 AM.
I
OP Offline
I
Thanks guys, I think the first thing I'm gonna do is throw my kayak in there and like esshup said find out the depth and make a diagram on paper. I already talked to the owner and have permission.

The property is pretty expensive (at least for me) and if I were to buy it the main reason would be the pond and timber. So I just want to make sure it could have a lot of potential before getting really serious.

Btw, not exactly sure how it stays full but I do know it's at least 40 years old.

Anyone on here tried or have a walleye, smallie, pike, crappie type of pond? Would it not be big enough? Water too warm or not clear enough?

PS I see there's a guy here in IA that will come out and actually ride around in what appears to be a floating atv and check things out and offer advice. $100 I think.

I
OP Offline
I
Well according to http://acme.com/planimeter/ it certainly doesn't seem to be 6 acres. More like 3, hard to be accurate though.

Here's a decent look from above.

Attached Images
google.jpg
M
mpc Offline
M
Welcome IAHawkFisher, Lots of good info here. It would be good to know the water depth due to I think all of Iowa has pretty harsh winters with ice on pond(s). Deeper pond may/could help fish survive better than a very shallow one, all things being the same in both ponds.

I looked at your google pic and the first thing I think I see is two houses with possible access to the BOW. Might raise an issue with managing the pond, if that is the case.

You did say you did not know how the pond stays full, and that would be important to know. If it is filled with runoff then that is one thing. If you need to fill a 3 to 6 acre pond with a well pump then that is a completely different story. A spring and or creek that flows 24/7 is another completely different story.

You said that it was an expensive in your mind already, and as mnfish stated the pond will pull money out of your pocket.

I have a small pond filled by runoff and well water. It costs about 140 to 160 dollars per month, on average, to keep mine the way I like like it, if that helps you any. My pond is about 1 acre, aerated, fish are feed high quality fish feed, tilapia and a little chemical FA control.

Now that some Idea of the cost to take care of "the baby" you may want to buy is better understood, I hope You can read a lot here on PB, go to the PB book store and Buy "A perfect pond, want one" or other books that might interest you and make as informed decision BEFORE yo pull the trigger so to speak.IMHO

For me the cost is worth it and I would do it again in a heart beat. But depending on what you want it may cost or even be expensive to reach your goals, once you know what you really want/ can do.

I am in the South and others will for sure comment on the fish you want to stock and manage. Good luck and let us know what you decide, or not, and why so others can learn for your decision making process.

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.
I
OP Offline
I
Thanks mpc, the northern house comes with the pond. But yes, the other house does unfortunately own some of the ground that borders the pond. They do not have any ownership in the pond though, zero.

I certainly wish there wasn't anyone back there but it is what it is.

I
OP Offline
I
Well sounds like Crappies aren't recommended for a pond this size.

WE
SMB
YP

Would NP be too many predators? I don't see them talked about too much but I see a good chunk of the members here are from the South so that makes sense.

Some type of baitfish and crawdads. Really don't think I'd put feeders out as I'd like to keep it as natural as possible and honestly would rather spend the money on improving the habitat to improve natural food.

Tonight I'm going to get a rope, tie a brick onto it and mark every 12" with duct tape and write down the depth on the duct tape. I think that would be the fastest/easiest way to record the depth. Probably get out in the kayak tomorrow as I have the day off.

R
Fingerling
Fingerling
R
You can definitely do a SMB/YP pond with WE as an additional stocked predator but the WE will not spawn so you will need to periodically stock them. If you go the SMB/YP route you will want to eliminate the LMB and Bluegill as LMB will out-compete the SMB and SMB will not be able to control bluegill (unless you have BIG smallmouth when the BG are introduced but even then it's dicey). A forage base would need to have Golden Shiners as the main ingredient and FHM stocked to get your SMB/YP off to a good start (they wont last once long but they boost your predators and allow your GSH to get off a few spawns before the pressure comes), other fish like bluntnose minnows/satinfin shiners/spotfin shiner/red eared sunfish/banded killifish/darters/crayfish/grass shrimp help immensely but your results may vary in your area.

The question is how do you start over? Is there a valve on the pond that would allow you to drain it? Draining it down then liming it and/or treating with rotenone would wipe out most if not all of your current fish population. Draining it down will also allow you to create habitat/structure that benefit the species you want (rock piles and rip rap are great for smallmouth).

If you cannot drain down the pond you can still rotenone it but several treatments might be necessary and there is still a chance that some of the current fish will survive.

Sourcing YP/GSH/FHM/crayfish/RES/grass shrimp is pretty easy but you will want to sort them by hand to ensure no BG or LMB get mixed in. Finding Smallmouth and the other species can be very difficult and pricey but they might be caught in the wild if you have a seining net. For my pond I ordered bluntnose minnows/spotfin shiners/johnny darters/greenfin shiners from Jonah's aquarium and stocked them into my pond just after construction in small numbers then let them spawn for close to two years before adding the YP and Smallmouth. I was able to source YP from a local fish truck but smallies were a different beast. I could not find a supplier who had them in stock unless I wanted to make an 8 hour drive so I caught some from a local river and transported them in my bass boat, I stocked small fish (4-12") that appeared fat and resisted the temptation to throw in 2-4lb fish because I knew they would put a whooping on my relatively young forage base. What I did was illegal but worth the risk. To see what else I did my pond thread is here: http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=413135&page=1

Bottom line: a SMB/YP pond is absolutely possible IF you have the time, money, and effort to make it happen. During the 3 year process I often wondered if it wouldn't have been better to just throw some fatheads and bluegill in for a year then stock some largemouth but now that I have BIG smallies and am good growth from my YP and RES I am thrilled that I went the route I did. I have to thank the PB community for all the advice because I would have never figured this out on my own!

D
D
For your measuring device you may want to use electrical tape with different banding. For example White = 1' Yellow = 5' Red = 10' so 1 yellow 4 white would be 9'(If your rope is white don't use white they sell blue, green...you name it basically.) We use a similar system on our hoses and it holds up well. If you just use duct tape and write the number on there it may get worn off quickly with repeated use. Just my 2 cents, welcome to the forum by the way. That or you could just tie one knot at 5' and two at 10' with duct tape in between make it easier for counting.

Last edited by Diver Cody; 06/02/15 03:09 PM. Reason: Spelling knot not correctly :)

I
OP Offline
I
Thanks Rock, I'll check out the link. As you mentioned, it's probably easier to do the LMB/BG pond but brown bass hold a special place in my heart I guess. That's what fishing IA rivers and the Quetico Park will do to you. smile

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted By: Diver Cody
For your measuring device you may want to use electrical tape with different banding. For example White = 1' Yellow = 5' Red = 10' so 1 yellow 4 white would be 9'(If your rope is white don't use white they sell blue, green...you name it basically.) We use a similar system on our hoses and it holds up well. If you just use duct tape and write the number on there it may get worn off quickly with repeated use. Just my 2 cents, welcome to the forum by the way. That or you could just tie one not at 5' and two at 10' with duct tape in between make it easier for counting.

Nuts, my wife and son just finished it at home. WHITE! Just curious, what's wrong with white?

BTW, found a dealer roughly an hour a way from me: Northstar Fish Hatchery

Last edited by IAHawkFisher; 05/28/15 02:00 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You could also just buy an el-cheapo reel type tape measure, put a weight on the end and read the measurements. It doesn't take much weight, 2-4 ounces is plenty.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-x-100-ft-open-reel-measuring-tape-36818.html

I'd also put redear sunfish in the pond.

Last edited by esshup; 05/30/15 07:24 AM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
I
OP Offline
I
Well I went out there yesterday and paddled around. The first pic is the map I created with the depths. Deepest seems to be 13 which is on the northern side of the pond. The southern 1/3 or so is roughly 5 foot and all weeds.

Weeds are definitely the common theme of this pond. Weeds weeds and more weeds. If it was 5 or 6 feet of water it was full of weeds.

Saw no sign of life in the pond other than a baby turtle and frogs. I know Iowa had a pretty bad fish kill a couple of winters ago and I'm sure the owners didn't restock it. If there's anything in there I didn't see it.

I included some other pics that hopefully give a decent idea about it. Not sure what to think after I saw it up close and personal. Probably 85% of the shore is thick trees/brush so the only way to fish would be the north side where the house is or in a small boat/canoe, etc. Definitely would need a lot of work.

Any opinions are welcomed, thanks!

Attached Images
depth map.jpg Common weed.JPG Common weed 2.JPG What is this stuff.JPG typical shoreline.JPG north side.JPG Lots of.JPG last pic.JPG
B
B
Sure looks like you could rear some largemouth bass in that pond. Sure, I'd thin the weeds some, but I've pulled some real fighters and lunkers LMB out of ponds like that.

Clean up a few spots here and there along the sides for bank fishing, clean up some of the water weeds, drop in a ton of forage fish, then stock some LMB next Spring and enjoy!

S
S
There is no picture of the dam, but I wonder what the feasibility would be to raise the water a couple of feet by altering the dam?

Definitely be significant cost involved, but adding a couple feet depth might solve the weed problem in the shallows.

Just a thought.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
F
F
If you are really interested in the pond and want SMB, you will most likely need to drain it and start over to get rid of the LMB. Does it really have LMB? Can you afford to re-do the pond for the SMB idea?

You say the other house has property that borders the pond. Does that mean they own right to the waters edge? If they do, I would check the laws to see if they have rights to the water. In my area, they would.

I think it is a great looking pond and worth consideration. What pond isn't there a to-do-list? It's a lifelong journey(work wink ).

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Even with a bad winterkill, I would bet that some of the smaller fish survived. You may not see them, but they are there.

If the other houses have access to the pond, then once the pond starts turning around, they might want to "help" you stock the pond, i.e. catching fish from another BOW and transferring them to the pond for you.

First I'd get a clear picture of what their access is to the pond.

If you do purchase it, and turn the pond in to a SMB fishery, adding LMB to the fishery will change the dynamics to a LMB pond (over time).

www.hoosierpondpros.com

I
OP Offline
I
Thanks for the input guys. The problem with this property is that the husband passed away probably 5 years ago and the wife who is in her upper 80's hasn't been out there in probably 2-3. I talked to their son and he thought maybe walleye was stocked but has no clue. Of course the realtor knows nothing.

From everything I see/hear the buyer would be the only one who has access to the pond. Not a fan of 2 other owners that have property that borders but I can't change that.

From reading other posts I would never mix SMB and LMB. If I could have success with SMB and WE that would be ideal. If not a LMB/BG pond would still be a dream come true.

Is it too mucky for WE and SMB? I just have no clue. What would I have to do other than add rocks in certain places?

B
B
Get it in writing - that the 2 adjoining/bordering properties have NO rights or access to the pond. Get it in writing, signed by both property owners, with an inclusion that when they sell or give or gift their property away the recipients have no rights or access, in perpetuity. Authored by an attorney, signed by all parties, and notarized.

That is of course if their property line actually touches the pond or is within 25 feet.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: basslover
Get it in writing - that the 2 adjoining/bordering properties have NO rights or access to the pond. Get it in writing, signed by both property owners, with an inclusion that when they sell or give or gift their property away the recipients have no rights or access, in perpetuity. Authored by an attorney, signed by all parties, and notarized.

That is of course if their property line actually touches the pond or is within 25 feet.

Ditto.

If you do get the property, I'd start with the fishery that you really want. (SMB) You can always switch to the LMB fishery just by restocking. If you start with LMB, you will have to sterilize the pond to switch it to a SMB fishery.

WE will always be a "bonus" fish in ponds - not the primary predator fish - they don't do as well in ponds as SMB/LMB.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

D
D
Sorry I didn't get back to you right away(Was sent offshore). I was saying do not use white if your rope is white. Just so that you have contrasting colors on it to make it easier to see. You could also get an idea of what the clarity was like too.

Looks like you have got the pond sounded though and are now on the topic of legalities. Neighbor access/ROW, etc... I know nothing on that.

Hope all is going well with your interest in purchasing. I know I had to wait 8 months to close on my place due to legalities. Double line of succession and now I am in a similar state this pond is in fixing it after 7-8+ years of neglect. I will say one thing it helps you lose any extra weight you may be carrying so you can cancel the gym membership. smile

I
OP Offline
I
Do you guys think a pond like this with a large amount of trees around it is a problem? I just read a post regarding decaying leaves, etc.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Many times, aeration can cure some of the problems such as muck build up on the bottom.

Most likely, you've got at least a foot or more of muck on the bottom.

Like others have said, in many states, if one's property borders up against a pond, then they have rights to use the entire pond. Also agree to try and get formal agreements in place.

You also have the option to have a diverse fishery.

My main pond is similar in size and has at least 10 species in it. You never know what you're going to have on the end of your line.

Grass carp seem like they'll be needed too.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 05:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images