Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,812
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
5 members (Fishingadventure, esshup, John Fitzgerald, Bill Cody, Waxaholic), 1,068 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Tbar Offline OP
OP Offline
T

Quote:
MIDLOTHIAN, Texas -

Police in Midlothian are warning residents that the dam on Padera Lake, often referred to as Texas Lake, will soon give way.

The chief said he expects it to fail sometime Wednesday morning. When that happens, a flood wave will go down Newton Branch into Cottonwood Creek, along Highway 287.

The highway has been shut down as a precaution. West and northbound traffic is being diverted to Highway 67 and east and southbound traffic is being detoured to Old Fort Worth Road.

There are about 25 homes downstream. Those people were asked to evacuate.

Livestock owners were also asked to move their animals to higher ground.

The water will eventually flow into Soap Creek, Joe Pool Lake and Mountain Creek.

http://www.fox4news.com/story/29165636/midlothians-padera-lake-dam-failure-imminent

W
W
holy crap!!

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Lunker
Lunker
Keep your fingers crossed.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local/201...oment/28000473/

Quote:
MIDLOTHIAN -- Engineers and builders at Padera Lake in Midlothian say it was a close call, but an earthen dam won't breach after all.

They are still waiting on official word from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I commented about this on another thread also...Seems siphons made out of water supply pipe could be made in a matter of minutes and be far more effective than all those water pumps being used...

I hope the dam doesn't fail, but it sure didn't look good when watching live about 10 minutes ago. I was shocked to hear some official said the dam won't break when there is still water flowing over it and it is eroding away...

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
The dam, just breached. I just pray no one is killed and damage is minimal!!!

T
T
Originally Posted By: Shorty
Keep your fingers crossed.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local/201...oment/28000473/

Quote:
MIDLOTHIAN -- Engineers and builders at Padera Lake in Midlothian say it was a close call, but an earthen dam won't breach after all.

They are still waiting on official word from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.
I guess they were wrong.

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
That is an engineering nightmare and if life is lost because of it...truly tragic. I know hindsight is perfect vision, and my expertise is not in dams or water management but where are the fail safes in these designs?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I guess the news reports of the breach were premature....now officials say the dam will "last another day".

Lunker
Lunker
Did it fail?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: mnfish
That is an engineering nightmare and if life is lost because of it...truly tragic. I know hindsight is perfect vision, and my expertise is not in dams or water management but where are the fail safes in these designs?

mnfish, I hear ya! In most cases, it comes down to cost and how much "chance" there is of the torrential and high amounts of rainfall an area sees. These current rains in TX have never been seen before, even in hurricanes, in many areas. That makes it hard to protect against, and predict, what has never happened before.

Lunker
Lunker
Am I looking at this picture right? Where they are pumping water over is actually where the emergency spillway is located on the dam? Is this still under construction?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I don't know Shorty. To me, it looks like emergency repairs wer made and the dirt pushed from the backside/outside-in to shore up a failed area. You don't make a spillway, the most erosion susceptible area, the least built up area, as these pictures show.

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
I know next to zero about dam construction so excuse me if this is a dumb question...When the water goes over a dam, is the erosion of the soil what ultimately leads to a dams failure?

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Shorty,

The spillway I believe is under where that picture was taken. This is a 100 acre soil conservation lake about 20 miles from where I work.

Lunker
Lunker
Are they in the process of rebuilding the outlet structure? I looked it up on Google maps, then switched to Google Earth and it shows the lake empty and looks like they had started dirt work. The dam appears to run straight across with no bulge out into the lake at the outlet point.

Looks like they are:

http://jobs.ourcareerpages.com/job/80455

Quote:
About the Mountain Creek FRS #10 (TX):

The project includes draining the existing Padera Lake; removing and replacing the principal spillway pipe and outlet structures; excavating, lime treating and replacing certain areas of the existing dam embankment; raising and widening the existing dam cross section; and constructing a new RCC emergency spillway. Principal items of work include approximately 100,000 CY of excavation.

Last edited by Shorty; 05/27/15 12:41 PM. Reason: found answer

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: mnfish
I know next to zero about dam construction so excuse me if this is a dumb question...When the water goes over a dam, is the erosion of the soil what ultimately leads to a dams failure?

They generally do not make big dams out of soil.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

C
C
Another question.. I imagine tilapia is probably popular and common in private ponds in the south, Texas, assume oklahoma, Florida, Georgia etc? If Texas has had so much high water, flooding etc I can imagine that many ponds are seeing their tilapia overflow into neighboring rivers and lakes.

I assume then the tilapia will then take up residence in nearby lakes and multiply. This is probably happening right? Are some of these nearby lakes seeing tilapia for the first time or do most lakes in the Dallas area already have tilapia in them?

Will they survive and multiply and provide new 'natural' forage for lakes and ponds that never had them before? Will this on balance be a benefit from all the recent flooding for the forage base for the local bass fisheries?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Another question.. I imagine tilapia is probably popular and common in private ponds in the south, Texas, assume oklahoma, Florida, Georgia etc? If Texas has had so much high water, flooding etc I can imagine that many ponds are seeing their tilapia overflow into neighboring rivers and lakes.

I assume then the tilapia will then take up residence in nearby lakes and multiply. This is probably happening right? Are some of these nearby lakes seeing tilapia for the first time or do most lakes in the Dallas area already have tilapia in them?

Will they survive and multiply and provide new 'natural' forage for lakes and ponds that never had them before? Will this on balance be a benefit from all the recent flooding for the forage base for the local bass fisheries?

Canyon, there are many Texas lakes with year-round, established populations of Blue Tilapia. With the exception of one lake, there have been no downsides reported that I am aware of. In the one lake, LMB were declining and in the absence of an explanation, a state biologist simply blamed the Blue Tilapia, yet offered nothing in support his claim other than being present.

The allowed mozzies will eventually die out from cold.

Last edited by Rainman; 05/28/15 08:33 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM