Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,095
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (Sunil, jpsdad, azteca, esshup, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261), 726 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
SJO Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Could ANYONE with ANY experience, please tell me if tree roots near the bank of the pond could possibly cause seepage or leaks?

I would like to leave a few existing trees along the edge my new 3/4 acre pond for a natural look.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Yes they can. Keep them away from the dam.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Welcome to PBF SJO,

+1 to what Sparkie said. Keep trees away from the dam if you have one. Does your pond have a compacted clay liner in the bowl? If it does, I would worry trees anywhere around the pond could have roots that penetrate the liner and cause leaks.

Bill D.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
SJO, GENERALLY speaking, tress along natural shorelines will not cause leakage issues unless as Bill D pointed out, the pond had to be clay lined because of poor soils available. In the Dam, however, any tree root that grows through the dam and enters the water will eventually die, decay, and provide a hole for water to run through.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Another thing to think about is that if the tree roots are disturbed, the soil over them is compacted, or the tree is stressed in any way, it might die. It may take 5 or more years for it to die, but there's the chance.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
It is important to keep them away from more than just the dam -- although that is by far the most critical. They can weaken the dam. Worst of all, if they should fall over during a saturated period, they can take out your dam.

I tried finding some articles from the late-80s and mid-90's regarding what appeared to be a very mysterious water loss in the Potomac River area that provides of the potable water to Washington DC, and the adjoining Maryland and Virginia suburbs.

During a serious drought in this area a number of years ago, the lower fresh-water parts of the Potomac river water levels were dropping far more than expected or predicted. They eventually found that large trees on the river banks were each respirating many hundreds of gallons of river water each day through their roots to and out of their leaves. When expanded over more than a 50 mile river stretch, and many tens of thousands of trees, the water loss to respiration was enormous.

So, just a thought from my addled brain ...

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
A
A
I tried a search but didn't find the specific information. I have a potentially bad situation on a pond that I just acquired. There are pine trees, saplings up to about 4 inches in diameter on the back of the dam. Am I better off cutting them or leaving them. I'm afraid that if I cut them, the roots will decay and weaken the dam more than leaving them. What do ya'll think? Thanks

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Up to 4" diameter cut. After that hope and pray.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
ar_confederate, look at the trees visually also. A tree's root system closely mirrors it's branches under the ground, in terms of diameter of spread. Roots usually do not extend much further than the drip line of the branches. If the branches do not overhang the water, chances are the roots do not reach that far either.

S
SJO Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi Bill, NO SIR, ALL smooth Solid Clay.
I have also have a 1/2 acre pond 2 years old , its beautiful and has NO LEAKS!

S
SJO Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the information Rainman, I do have ALL natural smooth clay surface and soil to work with.
I also have a 1/2 acre pond 2 years old , its beautiful and has NO LEAKS! ...same clay soil conditions!

M
mpc Offline
M
If you want my Opinion I am with Esshup. Cut them and hope for the best. We are lucky in the south because and even more so LA because Pines do not have long running roots out from the trunk in general and due to most of our rain patterns. Pines have a tendency to grow roots straight down, more so than hardwoods.

For sure the bigger the tree the bigger the chances of a problem. If the tree(s) is closer to the bottom of the dam, then there is most likely a better chance for a leak, IN General, due to higher water pressure at the bottom of you pond. If you have trees up higher on the back side of the dam then at least you may not have to drain the pond all the way down if a leak forms, MAYBE.

If you have a core in the dam then a tree has less potential for causing a problem if it is not rooted into that area and visa-versa.

Just another opinion if you want it. Good luck, tell us what you do and the outcome when you get the time.

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.
T
T
I have pine on my dam that I planted for privacy. Like was said, the roots don't extend much past the drip line. Keep them trimmed and you will have no problems.

M
M
As has been stated the rule is 4 inch and less cut down, bigger that that let it stay and pray.

A
A
Thank ya'll for the advice. We're in the process of actually moving in so I can't get to it immediately but will cut the 4 inch and under pines. Another question, I've read where pines are not particularly desirable on the bank due to the effect on the water's pH. Would it hurt to use a few that I cut for structure? I'm guessing it's not a significant problem since people use Christmas trees on the larger waters.

The pond was advertised as 1 acre but it's not. It's closer to 1/2 to 2/3 of an acre if that has any effect on your thoughts about using cut pines for structure. Thanks again for your advice. I'm loving this forum!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass