Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,486
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
3 members (Pat Williamson, Bruno616, Dave Davidson1), 708 guests, and 201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#411595 05/16/15 09:38 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Main pond is stocked and 3 feet from full pool. grin There is an area appx. 60 x 60 east of the pond that is collecting water after any rain event over .25 inches. Probably a foot of water and takes a few weeks to evaporate off. I figure, let's make lemonade from lemons and make a mini forage pond. There is a 1 foot berm appx. 20 feet wide separating the main pond from the possible forage pond site when the main pond is at full pool. I plan on stocking the same forage in the mini pond that is in the main pond. Supplemental forage only, not experimental.

Here is my dilemma, If I build the mini pond from the current dirt level down I risk the mini pond being overtaken by the main pond when the main pond is 12 inches over full pool. However, during normal rain events the mini pond will be fed by appx. 2 acres of clean runoff. My other option is to build a 2-3 foot berm around the forage pond which will keep it separate from the main pond but will eliminate any runoff from filling the mini pond. I do have a 3 inch trash pump which could be used to fill the mini from the main periodically.

I appreciate any advice from you all.

P
Online Content
P
Sounds like a plan. I'm gonna do the same thing on the other side of the spillway. If it ever fills up. If I can rais FHMs and dump them into main pond couple times a year then it's all good. If we have a gully washer then I'm out a bunch of minnows. Worth the risk to me

I am in the process of building something along that line. My forage/sediment pond will be slightly up hill from the main. That is the direction the watershed water enters. I am building a riprap filled ditch between the forage and main at a depth that the ponds will share water at normal pool or above thru the ditch. The berm is around the main.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
D
OP Offline
D
Bill,

How much difference between the forage and main at your pond? I have also considered a ditch that goes around the beach and would connect the forage pond to the main pond during high water events. If the water goes 12 inches above full pool in the main pond then all bets are off.

Originally Posted By: DeermanJ
Bill,

How much difference between the forage and main at your pond? I have also considered a ditch that goes around the beach and would connect the forage pond to the main pond during high water events. If the water goes 12 inches above full pool in the main pond then all bets are off.

2 to 3 feet difference in elevation between forage and main for me.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
How often do you anticipate your main pond going 12" over full pool and flooding the forage pond? For me, that has only occurred twice in 8 years - just curious if it's something you need to worry about happening.

I'd hate to lose the 2 acres of runoff and having to resort to pumping water to keep the forage pond full. I know it sounds simple and easy, and it is, the first dozen times. But pumping water several times annually during drought conditions I suspect will become a chore you may resent. I have some similar situations on my farm and every time I repeat the process I get a little more grumpy and reluctant. Also, remember a trash pump can introduce fry of main pond species into the forage pond...seen this happen on several occasions.

Since I'm assuming your goal for the forage pond is to periodically drain, seine, and stock the primary pond with forage, I don't see much of a downside to taking the risk of allowing it to flood. If it does flood, you simply drain, seine, and stock not only your forage, but whatever managed to infiltrate your forage pond. Seems a lot easier than having to employ the trash pump continually - but that's just me.

Just my thoughts, hope this may help.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

D
OP Offline
D
TJ,

I have been heavily leaning that way as well. I like the idea of maintaining some separation between the 2 bodies of water, but it is probably not worth the effort to do so. As I am writing this I'm dreading pulling that 3 inch pump out this afternoon to drain the future pond site. Thanks for the input.

C
C
I have three ponds in line with each other there is about twenty feet of elevation between each. The bottom pond is about an acre, middle pond is fifth of an acre top pond is tenth acre. Main pond is forty years old so I am using 3"trash pump to dredge muck and water to the upper pond,then let it settle and create an algae bloom then drain the water to the middle pond.middle pond has minnows and black crappie, hopefully I will get a crappie spawn and raise them large enough so that they won't be eaten when I move to the larger pond.

cb100 #411722 05/17/15 09:13 PM
D
OP Offline
D
CB,

Thanks for the input. Sound like a cool design/muck control. Where I'm from here in central Illinois you would have to drive 15 miles in any direction to find 20 feet of elevation change. I created a 20 foot sledding hill from the clay spoils of my main pond which might just be the highest point in the county. Maybe I should apply for an official plaque or something wink Flat, black dirt... Regarding the Black Crappie, if what I've read is accurate you won't have any problems getting crappie to spawn, the problem is getting them controlled once established. I stocked Hybrid Crappie in my pond as they aren't supposed to be as prolific. I've got 2 young boys that will be happy to act as Crappie control if the population gets out of hand.

C
C
Yes I have read that,but I have a healthy population of large mouth bass for population control plus I love to eat crappie, so I think I can control the population.

Lunker
Lunker
MNfish manages black crappie in a small fishery - he also designed a one man fyke net to help with management. Dude's a genius, and pretty dang funny, too. If you ever need crappie management help, fire him a PM - he can guide you.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

C
C
Thanks for that info, if I have questions I will pm him.

S
S
Here is a thread I have been keeping track of that lists links to specialty ponds including forage and sediment ponds. There might be some useful old threads worth reading on the subject.

links to different specialty ponds

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Lunker
CB - you are quite welcome! I hope your crappie fishery works well - please keep us posted - we need more education on crappie management in smaller ponds to help us all learn.

D
OP Offline
D
Pumped out the proposed mini forage pond site yesterday and started digging today. I have a couple of questions for you all on PB.

1. Is there a significant advantage to over-wintering fish in a small forage pond versus simply moving them to the main pond in the fall?

2. If a pond will be used only in the spring-fall, does it still need to be the suggested 8 feet deep?

As much as I love to over-do a project, Mrs. DeermanJ has informed me that my pond project days for this year are numbered. She can be very persuasive...

D
OP Offline
D
Another question from one mini forage pond newbie to those more experienced: Pros and cons of installing an 8" pipe as overflow drainage from forage pond to main as opposed to creating a "ditch" with rip rap.

Lunker
Lunker
Another question from one mini forage pond newbie to those more experienced: Pros and cons of installing an 8" pipe as overflow drainage from forage pond to main as opposed to creating a "ditch" with rip rap.

I use a 8" pipe with gate valve so I can drain and collect into a horse tank solo - no need for help, which is huge as help isn't always available. No more seines for me! It works great, and if your main pond is close enough, you could just open it up and let the forage go.

Always keep some adult brood fish for the next cycle.

I think 8" is overkill, depending on the size of the forage and pond. I could have easily gone 6". Cost of pipe and especially the gate valve get much cheaper the smaller you go. As long as you're not raising huge fish in the forage pond, consider going smaller pipe.

Lunker
Lunker
Pumped out the proposed mini forage pond site yesterday and started digging today. I have a couple of questions for you all on PB.

1. Is there a significant advantage to over-wintering fish in a small forage pond versus simply moving them to the main pond in the fall?

2. If a pond will be used only in the spring-fall, does it still need to be the suggested 8 feet deep?

As much as I love to over-do a project, Mrs. DeermanJ has informed me that my pond project days for this year are numbered. She can be very persuasive...

The only reason I would want to over winter forage pond is if forage hasn't grown to the size you need to escape immediate predation and you need a few more months of Spring/Summer to achieve sizes. Otherwise I'd dump in the Fall and save some adult brood fish for next cycle and refill and restock with those brood fish. If brood fish are easily replaced [depending on species] you can drain in Fall and allow the pond to go dry all Winter. This can help with vegetation management and allows you to perform any work necessary to the pond over the Winter. I've done both, depended on my goals/needs at the time.

Depth of forage pond depends on a few factors, like forage type, do you have supplemental irrigation to keep it full during droughts, will you aerate? I think you forage pond probably only needs to be 5-6' if you aren't overwintering - but I've overwintered SMB, YP, and GSH in 5' ponds in NE and never had fish kills. Deeper buys you more margin for error, but it's also more expensive to construct.

D
OP Offline
D
A couple pics below of the mini-forage pond I built late last week. Sorry I didn't get any "in process" pics, but as you can see I was racing the rains. The final dimensions are about 1/10th acre and 6 feet deep. I attempted Esshup's paint roller tray but ended up with something resembling a contractor's hard hat turned up side down. Amateur operator + racing against storms = odd shaped forage pond.

Attached Images
Forage1.jpg Forage2.jpg

D
OP Offline
D
BTW, the pond is currently 2 feet from full pool...

S
S
That ought to do the trick! That is about the size of my sediment pond and about twice the size of my forage pond, but both of mine are about 8' deep.

You will enjoy the small pond. I do mine. Now you get to decide what to put in it!

John

snrub #412886 05/26/15 10:56 PM
D
OP Offline
D
I have been wondering the same thing Snrub... what mix to put in the forage pond. What about starting out with some crays, FHM, and GSH? Although if the crays have already spawned for the year would I be better off waiting till next year? Also, I kinda promised the boys something in there big enough to catch. Any thoughts out there on a possible stocking scenario? My current pond mix is FHM, GSH, HBCP, YP, RES. I will be stocking some HSB this fall and SMB next spring.

S
S
I'm not the person to ask about stocking, especially since you don't have LMB in your main pond. Way out of my knowledge base.

One thing you might consider, grass shrimp. Probably would at least need some rocks for protection though. Grass or pond weeds would be best, but that is not likely going to happen quickly, so some larger crushed rock might suffice. Would also make good habitat for crays.

John

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM