Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,969
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
10 members (Don Kennedy, Theo Gallus, MOFishermen, Ponderific2024, Donatello, Augie, Sunil, DrewSh, Omaha, Shorthose), 1,144 guests, and 289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
One measurable aspect that has changed is the overall number of areas/categories on the forum.

Personally, I feel there are way, way too many.

How that affects me is that I really never go to certain areas, whereas in the past, when the forum was smaller, I'd read almost every new post.

So, in short, there may be less traffic on a given thread, thus less overall participation, thus lower 'feel' compared to the past forum.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
So it sounds many have left and only a few faithful remain. Do we usually find out what makes people stray away and not come back? Is it that all their questions are answered?

For the most part, I would say yes. I haven't looked at the numbers, but many come in, ask their questions which get answered, and we never hear from them again.

As I think has been said in this thread, all of life is in constant change. We get older. We move on to new things. Life just changes. The forum changes. Sometimes as moderators, we have nothing to do. We are like the Maytag repairman. Then there are times when we get some real jerks who push our buttons. We try real hard to keep this a friendly and inviting place to learn more about ponds, fish, and life in general.

I feel the forum will go on for a long long time because it serves a very important service to private water owners. And, there are one heck of a lot of pond owners in North America. There are also a lot of us "old timers" who are still very passionate about our fish and ponds, even after a lifetime of playing with them.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
P
P
There is a comaraderie that is very much a part of the reason that I like it so much. Just good everyday folks that like to teach and inform others for no profit other than knowing that you can make a difference

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
For you guys that lose track of a post after it drops off the current list just click on Active Topics in the bar above the page #s

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
For you guys that lose track of a post after it drops off the current list just click on Active Topics in the bar above the page #s

Thank you, I never knew that.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Also, if you see a red number in parenthesis next to a category (like Questions and observations) it means that there are (X) number of unread posts or new threads started that you haven't read yet.

So start reading so all the red numbers disappear and then only the new red ones will be new posts/threads.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
F
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
For the longest time I hesitated to supply information, since I know there are other, vastly more qualified and knowledgeable folks here who could do a much better job in this regard. As of late, I have taken to responding more when I can, simply because it oftentimes feels that participation is somewhat lacking these days. I hope that my replies are looked over, and corrected accordingly if I am in error. To me, that's a fundamental part of the forum...dispensing accurate info. We bill ourselves as the "best" online pond forum...and if that means someone interjecting a correction into something I have written, then by all means please do not hesitate to do so.

While you have mentioned it, it is somewhat similar to me too. The forum has helped me, so I want to give back. I will never be able to contribute much in a monetary way, my chosen profession is confining as such (you have heard of starving artists! That's why I need to eat my fish wink ). I have been in the position of running groups of various sorts. I know how hard it is to get people to volunteer and to jump in to help. So those that are in charge (moderators) get overwhelmed at times. I can only hope that when I post any kind of response, it helps free up some time for the pros to answer the tough questions. And yes, I hope that if I am wrong or needs more info, they jump in for correction (like right now). I think this goes along with what Ewest and others have said. Participate in whatever means you can, when you can.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Ever need to see your doctor in a hurry, only to find out he or she is unavailable that day so instead you see the nurse practitioner? On one hand you're simply glad that someone, anyone, is available to help, but on the other you may wonder a tad just what you're getting into.

That's just how I see myself here on the forum. I'm a pond practitioner. There's no fisheries degree hanging on my wall, no diploma from the institution of Hydrilla, H2O, and Hybrids. just a little bit...little mind you....of hands on experience, and whatever know-how might have rubbed off from spending time here on the forum, hobnobbing with the folks who DO have the answers.

And that concerns me. I truly believe that there are many cases where the wrong info is worse than no info at all. I would never purposefully supply info that I knew was incorrect, but if I don't know I'm wrong, then where's the safety mechanism that prevents me from making an already bad situation, worse? This is the internet after all. If I'm new here, how do I determine if the advice I'm getting is coming from a 40 year old professional in the field, rather than a 10 year old with an iPhone who's currently playing left field? Unless I've spent time on the forum, I don't.

I'm relying on another, more knowledgeable member to step up and say "Hold on there a minute, this might work better". I want someone to have my back and cover my mistakes, as I'm not very comfortable when I try and advise someone who is having problems.

That's why I try to use terms such as "In my opinion", or "I think that", or "what if", rather than "always", "never", "guaranteed", or "absolutely" when I attempt to help. I would rather say nothing at all, than possibly cause more, and bigger headaches.

That's just how I look at it, regarding myself and giving advice. I'm always trying to be cautious.

Last edited by sprkplug; 05/20/15 07:37 AM.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Sparkie,

FWIW I think of it as there are no right or wrong answers for most posts, there are opinions. It is up to the individual pondmeister to consider those opinions and do with them what he chooses. Sure, some folk's opinions carry more weight than others due to their experience or specialized knowledge but even the newest newbie may have an insight or idea to share that brings a new perspective to an old question and that is how we grow. I have never seen you post an opinion that is not well thought out and backed by statements as to why that is your opinion. I don't see how anyone could expect or ask for more than that. I always appreciate your, or anyone else's, thoughts on one of my posts!

Bill D.

Last edited by Bill D.; 05/20/15 08:52 AM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
+1

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
+1 on the last 4 posts. Great job guys !

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
sparkie....

I have part of the solution to your frustrations

when ya get stressed...turn this on to your computer
even if you just keep it on in the background and listen
it helps!
sometimes at work I keep it on my screen in the background

Fishing has never been about the fish....

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I have learned that "IMO" is about all I have to offer. Due to regional differences, I try to not give advice on what happens elsewhere. Yes, some things are pretty universal but I'm not always sure that I have the whole picture.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: Zep
sparkie....

I have part of the solution to your frustrations

when ya get stressed...turn this on to your computer
even if you just keep it on in the background and listen
it helps!
sometimes at work I keep it on my screen in the background

Thanks Zep. What do you mean by "when"? You mean there's another state of being?

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I have learned that "IMO" is about all I have to offer. Due to regional differences, I try to not give advice on what happens elsewhere. Yes, some things are pretty universal but I'm not always sure that I have the whole picture.

Dave, George told me the same thing and "IMO" you're both correct. I myself have noticed that my posts have dramatically dropped since I've decided to only offer advice or experiences based on things I have personally touched.

I feel like I have a rock solid grip on all 4 of my ponds, and the differences in them, but that's about all.

AL

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Thanks Zep. What do you mean by "when"? You mean there's another state of being?

Just get rid of the HBG, Sparkie.
Everything will be better.
Trust me on this.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Too late for that Yolk, I'm in pretty deep. One doesn't simply up and quit the HBG faction, at least not if you value having opposable thumbs.

Talk more later, pretty sure they're monitoring my communications.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Too late for that Yolk, I'm in pretty deep. One doesn't simply up and quit the HBG faction, at least not if you value having opposable thumbs.

Talk more later, pretty sure they're monitoring my communications.

Have Rotenone, will travel. I can fix that for ya Sparkie! laugh I'll bet you will start seeing results in less than 15 minutes.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Oh geeez....I think they heard you. You're carrying, right?

D
D
Note to self. Never poke fun at a man who has Rotenone and knows where you live.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Oh geeez....I think they heard you. You're carrying, right?

I have a lifetime CC license for a reason........ wink grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: DNickolaus
Note to self. Never poke fun at a man who has Rotenone and knows where you live.

Good point, well taken!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Sunil - 04/26/24 07:52 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Theo Gallus - 04/26/24 07:16 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by liquidsquid - 04/26/24 06:58 AM