Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
6 members (catscratch, Brandon Larson, Layne, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond, Angler8689), 638 guests, and 166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
LazyT Offline OP
OP Offline
L
We recently purchased some land adjoining us that has an NRCS (SCS) engineered pond on it. It was built in the early 1960's, is 1.5 acres, and has never held water. I've had several people look at it - and the conclusion is that the dam was properly constructed, but that water is seeping out underground through a rock ledge somewhere. We are in the Flint Hills. NRCS says to build another pond, but this is really the only location for a pond on this property.

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Chris

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Hi Lazy, welcome to the forum!

I am testing a polymer product on a seeping pond on my property and it has stopped the leak. I haven't related this information on the forum yet until the video I shot is complete and I can document results.

I was very skeptical about my chances to stop this leak that's been a problem since it was constructed, but for $400 I was able to stop a leak that two other equipment operators could not repair and cost me $3500.

I don't know enough about the process, it's limitations, or other vital details in order to recommend it to my forum family yet - but I can say I'm literally amazed at it's performance thus far on my leaking pond.

When I gather more information and run it by Lusk and Mike, I may post something for the forum. Until that time it's probably best to keep this on the DL.

Just wanted you to be aware of my experience, there may be help on the way. Feel free to PM me and we can chat sometime. Hopefully I can help - nothing worse than losing precious water every day.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

F
F
Oh come on T J I hate suspenseful secrets. LOL
That said , mine might be seeping too.
Keep us informed please.

Lunker
Lunker
I will...but I'm never going to endorse this product until I have really solid evidence to report. Trust me, it's been hard to keep it under my hat - this is actually the first time I've mentioned it to anyone. I'm leery of these "silver bullet" plans, but thus far, I've been amazed at it's effectiveness.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

S
S
Was scuba diving today and one of the ladies on the boat in general conversation complained that the only soil they had in their area was Bentonite clay. I laughed and said I knew of a bunch of pond owners would love to have some of that clay.

One persons curse is another's blessing.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
S
S
Do you have any property close enough with good clay to excavate the clay, haul it in, and line the pond with it?

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
My whole property is clay. Bidding starts at $10 a yard. Haha.

P
P
Dangit Brad! That's a long way for him to haul clay! smile

Pat

Pat, I figured depending on how high the bidding went, I'd just include a small fuel surcharge. Haha, I mean Kansas is just up the road, right?!

But in all seriousness, what would be more long-term/cost effective here? Install a liner or line with clay?

P
P
Clay all the way

L
LazyT Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks, teehjaeh57, I am looking forward to reading more about this! I appreciate the comments. Those I've had look at it so far have said we could spend a lot on bentonite but it probably wouldn't work. I had an excavator who took a sample of the soil at the bottom and it was pretty high in clay.

Somewhere the water is going to a rock ledge and into groundwater, but it would be hard to find. It would be a great pond if we could keep water in it!

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
It seem amazing to me often it is hard to find a competent pond builder. I really find the concepts pretty simple. Maybe, when I retire, I'll take up overseeing pond construction.

Lunker
Lunker
I'm treating a pond today for client [for free] with extra material on hand from my project. I will relate my findings to forum ASAP.

Lusk has asked I not promote/discuss the product until a few things are addressed, first - as he's sensitive to existing advertisers. When they are addressed and Bob provides clearance, I'll post a full report and see if we can't help some people who need it.

Lunker
Lunker
Update: Had to treat today, first chance we've had without significant wind or rain in the past several weeks. Bad news - during this time lots of rooted vegetation has already established, plus Chara. So, the treatment was not made under ideal conditions - it's designed to be applied with minimal vegetation present. After I worked the pond for 30 minutes I decided to head in and try for late Fall after vegetation abates and we have a clean bottom. Unless we got lucky and applied over the seep [which I guess is entirely possible], I'll likely need to try again in a few months. I left the product with him to keep cool and dry.

Interesting to note, this pond was slightly turbid as it received significant runoff following our epic precipitation events this month. In about 90 minutes the water clarity in this pond improved from 18" visibility to over 40". I would not be surprised if entire water column is clear in a day or two and the 12' bottom is visible. So, I learned something new today - polymer also acts as a floc agent, like Alum, and binds with free sediment and sinks it. Improved water clarity for this pond owner was a big bonus - as evidenced by the Salted Nut Roll it earned me.

I gotta start charging for my time, someday.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Nuke weeds and algae, wait for decomp, apply?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
Good idea Scott. Yes I think this could be an option for you. Since it would involve me having to charge my friend for chemicals and possibly earn revenue, the option is obviously off the table. grin

Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I'm treating a pond today for client [for free] with extra material on hand from my project. I will relate my findings to forum ASAP.

Lusk has asked I not promote/discuss the product until a few things are addressed, first - as he's sensitive to existing advertisers. When they are addressed and Bob provides clearance, I'll post a full report and see if we can't help some people who need it.

TJ-

Would it help move things along if we did a "midnight candle vigil" in front of Bob's house ?? My time to pump water into my pond is running down and it sure would be nice to have the info while I can still get water.

As a pond fills and leaking starts to show - How does one tell if a leak is from pressure buildup at a certain point pushing water out the bottom or water level rising to an area where water escapes ?

My new pond is dug and embanked. 920' around with 60% embanked. 11.5 ft deep if full - only filled now to 8.75 ft. where leaking started to show. Leaking is occurring at base of 225' of the embankment on the outside. As water level is dropping - leakage is slowing down - so how do you determine if that is because pressure is less as water level goes down or we are passing the "leak spot" in the embankment ?? (water level is still well above the outside of embankment at the base)

I am asking this because it would be helpful in knowing where to try and address the leak if this polymer thing works out.

Last edited by Pond Star; 05/23/15 12:45 PM.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
If the pond always seems to stop dropping at the same elevation, I would bet the leak is at that level. If it was a leak down lower, it would likely just slow down as the level drops.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??