Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,942
Posts557,765
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,502
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,139
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dieselscout80), 622 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
I think so, meant for tenderfoots like ourselves. Spark prefers a more straightforward approach: Direct osmosis [or freebasing].

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

P
P
Any updates on the AM production issues? I just bought the last 2 bags of 600 my supplier had and she said they have had an order in for 3 weeks.

C
C
Bought 5 bags of Amax 500 Saturday and feed store was unaware of a shortage.

"I Subscribe"
aeb Offline
Like most everyone else, my Aquamax supplier is out, has been out, probably continue to be out, etc.

Stopped by Tractor Supply to see if I could fine ANYTHING. Nothing! Zilch!

An employee noticed that I was wandering around looking for something and we had an interesting conversation.

"Can I help you Sir?"

Yes, where is your fish food?"

"Are you looking for catfish food?"

"Game Fish Chow if you have it"

"No, we do not have any fish food"

"Do you no longer carry fish food or are you having trouble getting it?"

"Oh no, we still carry it but it always sells out as soon as we get some in!"

"If you sell out each week, maybe you should increase your order!"

He stood there a minute, looked up and said, " That's a good idea!"

I just shook my head and went back to the ranch.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
FWIW....I order 15 bags at a time about 2x/year of Aquamax 500.

Like most of you, my supplier has not been able to get any this year. Today he called to say that he finally reached someone from Land-O-Lakes who read to him from an email something akin to the following:

"We expect to have 3 truckloads into Richmond, Ind, hopefully by May 26th. Then we will transfer some to the Harrisburg, PA facility. So, for you folks in VA and other areas serviced by Harrisburg, don't expect to see any Aquamax until mid-June."

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
My supplier called today. She has been ordering my AQ every week for some time now, but no dice. Today was no different....she wanted to know if she should keep trying, or if I was ready to throw in the towel. Said there was no indication when, or if they would be able to get product.

I asked her to please keep trying. Got plenty of Skretting feed on hand, but would like to get back to Purina, if they would just make an honest effort to supply product.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
If my supplier info is correct, it should be close to you at the Richmond IN plant o/a May 26th

B
B
Is it possible to buy direct from the factory? It is only a 45 min drive from where I live. Next question is it cheaper than going through a retailer?

R
R
I just picked up a couple of bags of Aquamax 2000 in Hawaii. Supplier said they had the 500 also in stock. I guess I'll find out next time I go to buy if there is a shortage.

F
F
I called my supplier for some yesterday. and they said next week. We'll see how that goes!!!!!!!!

aeb #410581 05/08/15 03:11 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: aeb
Like most everyone else, my Aquamax supplier is out, has been out, probably continue to be out, etc.

Stopped by Tractor Supply to see if I could fine ANYTHING. Nothing! Zilch!

An employee noticed that I was wandering around looking for something and we had an interesting conversation.

"Can I help you Sir?"

Yes, where is your fish food?"

"Are you looking for catfish food?"

"Game Fish Chow if you have it"

"No, we do not have any fish food"

"Do you no longer carry fish food or are you having trouble getting it?"

"Oh no, we still carry it but it always sells out as soon as we get some in!"

"If you sell out each week, maybe you should increase your order!"

He stood there a minute, looked up and said, " That's a good idea!"

I just shook my head and went back to the ranch.

Just 4 posts, and already far smarter than a TSC employee!

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
O
O
Got my 500 in a week and the 600 took 3 weeks... Doing my best to get the pond better balance and ween them off a little bit, but dang are they hungry this year..

M
mpc Offline
M
Hi All, I talked with the distributor for Jakes Feed in Longview Tx. He said the issue was simply this, Purina just had a snafu in start up of spring supply needs in the south. He said that Purina is supporting the Aquamax product and that Purina shut down a plant and had to find additional suppliers. He said they have started, although late, to fill the demand. He said that about 3 weeks is what they see as the distribution chain will be full or much closer to full. they have the game fish and already are making the 600, then 500 and 400 about the same time.

For us in Tx. I did speak with Rangen in Angleton Tx. and they have several floating products that are in the family of Aquamax (fishmeal) feed. He said they have 1/8" 3/10" 1/4" and 3/8" Floating, a 40% protein,10% fat called EXTRA 40. They have another 45% product and I forgot to write down the fat content,in 1/16 and 3/32" sizes. He said they are not set up for retail but will not turn away retail, if a retail customer has a tax free number.

I have cut back on my feed distribution amount in hopes that the Purina supply chain will improve dramatically in the next week or two. If that does not happen then I will go elsewhere for my little bit of business.

The Purina distributor guy was nice and said that during meetings Bob L. had voiced displeasure to say the least and as far as he was concerned this Snafu will most likely not happen again. He said he does want happy customers and Purina does too.

Hope this little bit of info helps someone make a decision. I will let everyone know when I see it in East TX. and hopefully it will start showing up everywhere else too.

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.
As a non-user of the products, I will be curious to see if the prices go up in the next year or so after so many folks have let them know you're loyal to, and more importantly dependent on, their products. You going to quit using if the price goes up a few dollars a bag?

Last edited by Bill D.; 05/08/15 10:08 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
M
mpc Offline
M
I will not be impacted by the cost if you are asking me. I would always consider other Feeds if the product quality is close to the Purina Fishmeal based products and somewhat cheaper. I have read and been told that fishmeal based products are just what they are due to the catch rates and cost of the menhaden fish used to produce the feeds and it just is what it is.

One of the main reasons I chose to use the Aquamx product is Bob recommends it, 2nd my fish biologist said it is a good product, 3rd from what I read it is as good as they come at this point and time, 4th one only has about 6 years at best to get all the growth you can out of my focus fish CNBG and I want them as big as possible.5th possibly some less waste from the fish due to better conversion rates.

I may be way off base here but that is what I have basically gleaned from the materials I have read and the post from experts here on PB.

I can say just a bit over 2 years out, with great genetics and good feed a CNBG can get big and PHAT!! I have some.

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.
mpc #410884 05/11/15 12:30 PM
B
B
My AM supplier informed me this morning that my AM600 is in, but no AM500 yet. He is checking to see if the AM500 will become available or not. If not, I guess that I'll be getting more of the AM600 in its place.

I was just glad to hear that part of my order has finally come in (placed this order in early April), as I was down to 1/2 bag of leftover AM600 in the feeder as of this weekend.

Will be interesting to see if the price stayed the same or increased. Guess that I'll find out when I go pick it up.

I just received this email from Customer Service at Purina..

"Thank you for using Purina feeds. AquaMax has been back ordered due to plant being shut down and consolidated into one plant. Since they had to update some of the machinery for the products. They are in the process of getting back up to speed. By the end of June dealers will be fully stocked once again. If you have questions, please let me know."

It's hard to find any around here right now. (Eastern Missouri) hopefully by the end of June things will be back to normal.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I know we've been having some issues with Purina, but some are having more issues than us.

Recently, a retired friend of mine (no names will be provided) was at his local Winn-Dixie buying a large bag of Purina Dog Chow for his dog. As he was in the check-out line, a woman behind him asked if he had a dog. What did she think... maybe he he had an elephant, maybe he couldn't get any Aquamax!

Being the friend many of us know, on impulse he told her
that no, he didn't have a dog, he was starting the Purina Diet again.

He added that he probably shouldn't, because he ended up in the hospital
last time, but that he'd lost 50 pounds before he awakened in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IVs in both arms.

He told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that the way
it works is you load your pants pockets with Purina Nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry. The food is nutritionally complete, so it works well, and he was going to try it again. He said that practically everyone in line was now enthralled with his story.

Horrified, she asked if he ended up in intensive care because the dog
food poisoned him. He told her no. He stopped to pee on a fire hydrant and a car hit him.

He thought the guy behind her was going to have a heart attack, he was
laughing so hard. Winn-Dixie won't let my frend shop there anymore.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Hahaha! I almost spit coffee out my nose!

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
C
C
laughing tears over here, that was the best one I've heard in a long time!!

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I have been having problems getting the aquamax made with the menhaden. I can get a fish food made with chicken as the primary ingredient from muenster feed mill. Is anyone familier with it? Can anyone comment on it as being good or bad? I hope Bob Lusk comments on this since it is made not far from his house.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
James; Sent you a PM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Purina dropped the ball y'all. But there are alternatives:

I can ship Cargill 1/8" and/or 1/4" 45% protein, 12% fat diet anywhere in the country, and it is a higher quality product than the Purina Aquamax anyway. Flat rate shipping is $20 per bag via Fedex. Feed cost is $39 per 50lb bag.

Also I am taking contact info for anybody interested in getting a larger pellet similar to the Purina Largemouth diet. If you are interested then please send private msg or email to todd@overtoncentral.com When we get enough orders for largemouth pellets we will have Cargill make the product.

Last edited by overtonfisheries; 05/26/15 10:21 AM.

It's ALL about the fish!
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I have ordered a bag of Melick Aquafeed from right here in PA, 42/16 in 7.5 mm size, cost was 28.50 for the feed, $28 to ship plus sales tax, gotta be close to $60 for 50 lb to my door. I have 200 lbs of grower 600 on back order. My local co op has very poor service anyway and I am seeking alternatives at this point. Anyone ever use Melick?

Business is business, I understand we are a small market compared to cats and dogs, but what kind of moron shuts down a fish food factory to re-tool in the spring of the year? That is a November project anywhere in the country. It's like a candy cane factory closing at Thanksgiving, dumb move any way you look at it.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Supplier called yesterday, no AQ this week either. Maybe next week.....

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
How many LMB to remove?
by Boondoggle - 04/17/24 11:26 PM
Opportunistic Munchers
by Snipe - 04/17/24 11:25 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by Steve Clubb - 04/17/24 11:18 PM