Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 24 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 23 24
george1 #410135 05/04/15 01:04 PM
Cool day fishing! Did you weigh the cat?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
basslover #410152 05/04/15 03:48 PM
Originally Posted By: basslover
Was a good morning. Landed a few dinks but landed 2 nice little LMB as well, back to back maybe 30 minutes apart.

6.92 lbs

5.33 lbs

Wow, basslover! Every picture I've seen you post has made me envious of your pond/fishery!

I can only hope that I can one day pull the quality of LMB out of my pond that you pull out of yours!

So my questions:
What are you catching them on?
How often do you change your bait/lure (do you think they'll get hook-shy?)?
What have you had the most success with (or your go-to bait/lure)?
What do you have for structure/cover and is this where they're hanging out?

Thanks and congrats on the success with your pond.

PS - HOLY CATS! I just saw the huge Channel Cat! Great story and congrats on landing it!

Keith

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Bill D. #410222 05/05/15 08:52 AM
B
B
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Cool day fishing! Did you weigh the cat?

Bill - I did not weigh the cat. I would guess between 20-30lbs though, not on measurements that also were not taken, but solely on the heft and my muscles. LOL

I was too happy to land that bugger and get it back into the pond. It was a heck of a battle getting it out of the pond and then wrestling it down to pick it up for a pic.

Lovnlivin #410223 05/05/15 09:31 AM
B
B
Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin

Wow, basslover! Every picture I've seen you post has made me envious of your pond/fishery!

I can only hope that I can one day pull the quality of LMB out of my pond that you pull out of yours!

So my questions:
What are you catching them on?
How often do you change your bait/lure (do you think they'll get hook-shy?)?
What have you had the most success with (or your go-to bait/lure)?
What do you have for structure/cover and is this where they're hanging out?

Thanks and congrats on the success with your pond.

PS - HOLY CATS! I just saw the huge Channel Cat! Great story and congrats on landing it!

Keith

Hi Keith -

Thanks. I'm fishing two ponds and posting pics from both. I'm landing bass on nightcrawlers and shiners the overwhelming majority of the time. I have some success with artificial lures, including; worms, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, jerkbaits, and poppers/plugs/jitterbugs. Hard to beat the real thing though. smile

I really look to see what is in the water and then use it, or find something that resembles it. I vary the speed and technique of my retrieval as well. I'm not the type that repeats the same cast to the same spot with same retrieval and technique. Slow, super slow, medium, fast. Steady, stop-n-go, jerk, pull. Etc. Aside from live bait topwater lures are my go to and that usually produces.

I haven't a problem yet with hook shy. My bass in my pond that is very clear water are hesitant at times. They can see the hook, sometimes they nudge the worm around and if they identify the hook no dice. If they see you it becomes much more difficult to induce a strike. So you become excellent at long casts, hiding, and patience. I also sometimes chum the water - I toss in worms or shiners and since they eat without consequence I then can entice a strike by tossing one in with a hook. I also chum the water at times for the bluegills. I find the feeding frenzy of the bluegills gets the bass active and they want in. So in the middle of this I will then target a bass and usually land one.

george1 #410224 05/05/15 09:38 AM
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Just received email from son Jeff:
"14#'s it destroyed my spinner bait. Knocked the spinner blade off. Really fun to catch. Didn't think I would get it to the bank."

Never heard of a GC on a spinner bait before.

ps: If someone smater than me can turn thispicture over I would appreciate ... PhotoBucket won't cooperate...

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

basslover #410234 05/05/15 12:07 PM
Great info, basslover! Thank you!

I think sometimes as fishermen we get a little stuck in our ways on how we fish, so it's great hearing what others are using and doing.

Clear water is not an issue with my pond due to a consistent heavy bloom so I never have to worry about being seen. Although I wish it were as I envy those seeing spawn beds and swimming fishes!

I change up frequently on artificial baits, as well as presentation but I'll have to try worms and small BG as I don't have any Shiners. I do catch an occasional HSB, with my best luck with a "pellet fly" at feeding time when I toss out the AM LMB food. Yet not often as I don't want them to become shy on feed (don't know if they will or not, I just don't want to take the chance of them being reluctant to feed). I'm also going to order some Stubby Steve's and see how they work.

And it's hard to beat top water baits, definitely my favorite!

Thanks again for the reply and info!

Keith

(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

george1 #410240 05/05/15 01:19 PM
C
C
TJ, reading through this post a few pages back, you posted a picture about your pond record and said:

"I'm guessing this is a pure BRES - if so, it's a pond record. Feedback?"

What is a pure BRES? Is that pure BGxRES vs HBGxRES? What are the features that would help us see the difference or is it something you know based on what fish are in that pond and what crosses are even possible?

Thanks

george1 #410244 05/05/15 01:49 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: george1
If someone smarter than me can turn this picture over I would appreciate ... PhotoBucket won't cooperate...

George, go to your photobucket page with this picture, above the picture on the right side there is a line of symbols. Click the one on the far right that looks like a gear and a drop down menu will show up. The third and fourth options on on the drop down are "rotate right" and "rotate left". Do either one of those twice and the picture should appear the way you want it. It appears this way accessing photobucket on the "full site" rather than the "mobile site", you can switch back and forth at the bottom of the page.

Last edited by Shorty; 05/05/15 01:52 PM.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
TJ, reading through this post a few pages back, you posted a picture about your pond record and said:

"I'm guessing this is a pure BRES - if so, it's a pond record. Feedback?"

What is a pure BRES? Is that pure BGxRES vs HBGxRES? What are the features that would help us see the difference or is it something you know based on what fish are in that pond and what crosses are even possible?

Thanks

BRES is BGxRES F1 hybrid. I suspect this ID is correct as fish lacks tell tale GSF genetic traits. A HBG [BGxGSF] or GRES [GSFxRES] would exhibit GFS genetic traits like yellow margins on anal, pelvic fins, larger gape, etc. Sometimes fish can be F2, F3 etc. and can consist of various backcrosses and have multiple lepomis species genetics involved. In cases like this I'm left merely speculating what might have happened to produce such a fish.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lovnlivin #410254 05/05/15 03:09 PM
B
B

I think sometimes as fishermen we get a little stuck in our ways on how we fish, so it's great hearing what others are using and doing.

Clear water is not an issue with my pond due to a consistent heavy bloom so I never have to worry about being seen. Although I wish it were as I envy those seeing spawn beds and swimming fishes!

I change up frequently on artificial baits, as well as presentation but I'll have to try worms and small BG as I don't have any Shiners. I do catch an occasional HSB, with my best luck with a "pellet fly" at feeding time when I toss out the AM LMB food. Yet not often as I don't want them to become shy on feed (don't know if they will or not, I just don't want to take the chance of them being reluctant to feed). I'm also going to order some Stubby Steve's and see how they work.

Keith

Keith - I used to wonder about water being too clear. Now I wouldn't have it any other way (although I would prefer any pond over no pond!). I've been shooting a lot of video underwater - feeding the fish, working lures, and fish striking bait and lures. The clarity really is nice for this.

I'll throw in mealworms and small red wigglers to stir up the panfish. All that feeding gets my bass aggressive. Then I'll toss in a large nightcrawler on a hook and often land a bass. But I also throw in many non-hooked nightcrawlers (or shiners when fishing with them) so the bass eat without being hooked. And I also spend time in and around the pond without doing any fishing.

Landed this one last evening, 4.12 pounds.

Same fish

Shorty #410255 05/05/15 03:22 PM
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Shorty
If someone smarter than me can turn this picture over I would appreciate ... PhotoBucket won't cooperate...

George, go to your photobucket page with this picture, above the picture on the right side there is a line of symbols. Click the one onny the far right that looks like a gear and a drop down menu will show up. The third and fourth options on on the drop down are "rotate right" and "rotate left". Do heither one of those twice and the picture should appear the way you want it. It appears this way accessing photobucket on the "full site" rather than the "mobile site", you can switch back and forth at the bottom of the page.

Thanks Shorty - your instructions much appreciated and turns pic right side up, but when I post it - stoopid computer flips it up-side down....think it may be son's "mobile device" took up-side down photo...or dummy me?
Guess photo shows big GC anyhow.... grin

george1 #410264 05/05/15 03:56 PM
Lunker
Lunker
George, you can rotate the picture after it is posted to photobucket. wink

Shorty #410267 05/05/15 04:18 PM
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
George, you can rotate the picture after it is posted to photobucket. wink

Yeah, that's what I did..... cry

george1 #410268 05/05/15 04:34 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Your picture now looks like what you wanted. smile

Shorty #410270 05/05/15 06:01 PM
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G

Shorty - my picture is still up-side down ...crazy
I even re-booted both my PC and lap-top and the crazy picture is still up-side down....I think I hi-hacked my own thread...
Let it go man....many thanks - I think... tired sick confused

george1 #410271 05/05/15 06:54 PM

Shorty - my picture is still up-side down ...crazy
I even re-booted both my PC and lap-top and the crazy picture is still up-side down....I think I hi-hacked my own thread...
Let it go man....many thanks - I think... tired sick confused

For mods -- copy paste http://i.imgur.com/LXujgpa.jpg & delete this post

Last edited by Bocomo; 05/05/15 06:54 PM.
Bocomo #410272 05/05/15 06:59 PM
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cool

basslover #410325 05/06/15 07:58 AM

Keith

Keith - I used to wonder about water being too clear. Now I wouldn't have it any other way (although I would prefer any pond over no pond!). I've been shooting a lot of video underwater - feeding the fish, working lures, and fish striking bait and lures. The clarity really is nice for this.

I'll throw in mealworms and small red wigglers to stir up the panfish. All that feeding gets my bass aggressive. Then I'll toss in a large nightcrawler on a hook and often land a bass. But I also throw in many non-hooked nightcrawlers (or shiners when fishing with them) so the bass eat without being hooked. And I also spend time in and around the pond without doing any fishing.

Landed this one last evening, 4.12 pounds.

Same fish

Okay, now you're just showing off! (I am kidding of course!)

What's so cool about this forum is the diversity of fish, ponds and goals among the members. Mine in particular when I moved here in march of 2012 was the initial challenge of restoring this pond, then for the pleasure (and challenge) of raising and catching sizable fish, the scenery and peacefulness of spending hours at/on the pond and sharing this all with family and friends.

So far so good and what you're catching out of your pond(s) and the pictures you've shared do nothing but get me excited and also inspired!

I know I've got a few LMB reaching 5 lbs and many in the 2-3 lb range, but after reading your posts, I'm going to try your method to increase my "catch".

Thanks again for sharing!

Keith

Lovnlivin #410457 05/07/15 04:03 PM
B
B

What's so cool about this forum is the diversity of fish, ponds and goals among the members. Mine in particular when I moved here in march of 2012 was the initial challenge of restoring this pond, then for the pleasure (and challenge) of raising and catching sizable fish, the scenery and peacefulness of spending hours at/on the pond and sharing this all with family and friends.

So far so good and what you're catching out of your pond(s) and the pictures you've shared do nothing but get me excited and also inspired!

I know I've got a few LMB reaching 5 lbs and many in the 2-3 lb range, but after reading your posts, I'm going to try your method to increase my "catch".

Keith

Sounds like you've got a great outlook on your pond and sharing it with those close to you.

What are you feeding your 5lb bass to grow them larger?

What are your bass striking on?

By the way, today I landed a 3lb LMB that had peeled off all the line on one of my rods by the time I got to it and as I picked the rod up the line broke! I glanced down and saw the line going into the water - SPLASH! In I jumped grabbing the line and I battled the bass hand to fish style. Couple others fishing stopped to watch the schmuck battling the bass using his hands. I landed it though, sopping wet shorts and shoes and all. LOL

basslover #410493 05/07/15 09:28 PM

Keith

Sounds like you've got a great outlook on your pond and sharing it with those close to you.

What are you feeding your 5lb bass to grow them larger?

What are your bass striking on?

By the way, today I landed a 3lb LMB that had peeled off all the line on one of my rods by the time I got to it and as I picked the rod up the line broke! I glanced down and saw the line going into the water - SPLASH! In I jumped grabbing the line and I battled the bass hand to fish style. Couple others fishing stopped to watch the schmuck battling the bass using his hands. I landed it though, sopping wet shorts and shoes and all. LOL

Although my LMB were not pellet trained when I stocked them, they've certainly taken to pellets since then! I'm feeding AM LMB food which is what the HSB hammer as well. Hopefully the LMB are also focusing on the larger BG! I'm also feeding AM 600 for the BG (and in hopes the LMB on feasting on the feeding BG!)

I use mainly plastics (craws, baby brush hogs,etc.), with my go-to being a dark green Gene Larew 4.5" Mega Ring Tube, but they've also hit on spinner baits and buzz baits and even Crappie jigs.

Reqarding your hands-on catch, I'll bet that was a sight and even better that you got him!

george1 #410611 05/08/15 10:26 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Few Recent catches. My youngest son caught the 3.95 lb 21 inch trout

george1 #410616 05/08/15 11:26 PM
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
who woooda thought trout get that fat in Childress, Texas!

laugh

Fishing has never been about the fish....

george1 #410619 05/09/15 04:50 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Good grief Dustin. That's tremendous.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
george1 #410626 05/09/15 06:47 AM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Those fish are spectacular, Dustin!

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
george1 #410648 05/09/15 10:24 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thanks guys! I cant take credit. aquamax and help from Lusk and Overtons is the key to success.

Im anxious to see if my hybrids are still here. I am afraid with the large water event that I lost them again over the spillway. I am going to have to design something too keep that from happening. '

Without a doubt I lost my original stocking of hybrids as they were crazy active, then the rain storm 2 years aog, then gone....

On a positive note, my temps dropped by 15 degrees, so this will breath some life back into my trout!

Page 17 of 24 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 23 24

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images