Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Lumberman1985, Bennettrand, Jward87, Kanon M, KWL
18,497 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,940
Members18,497
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,496
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
15 members (ewest, Jward87, Willowwood, Lumberman1985, gautprod, Boondoggle, Sunil, Justin W, Jadog, Augie, Theo Gallus, phinfan, catscratch, Don Kennedy, FishinRod), 773 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I know this may sound crazy, but ...

Last year I was unable to harvest the trout out of my HBG/CC pond. The HBG instantly grabbed anything and everything that hit the water. They could easily out-race the rainbows and golden's I'd stocked the previous autumn.

This year it is the catfish in the pond mentioned above, and HSB in my main bluegill/LMB pond, that are causing me issues.

I can barely catch a hybrid bluegill in the HBG/HSB/CC pond. The CC range from about 9 to 20 inches. The CC should be far outnumbered by the HBG, by almost 10:1. But, the CC are by far the most aggressive, especially when the feeder goes off. The HSB aren't far behind them in grabbing hooks. They are really out numbered.

I was unable to harvest hardly any black crappie, and almost no bluegill in the bigger pond this spring. The HSB instantly grab anything that hits the water. After the feeder goes off, they look like stikes of lightning flashing through the water. The HSB grab everthing.

Particularly at this time of year I like to use a fly rod or an ultralight. The HBG and CC are really interfering. I really hate to exhaust a fish, and I hate for them to get hookshy.

Does anybody else have these issues? If so, how have you attempted to discourage non-targeted species.

Thanks,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
B
B
I'd have to say you might try a specific lure or presentation for different species. For instance, I have caught a lot of trout on a Super Duper spoon while I can't seem to catch other species on them. The same could be said for trout dough baits like Power Bait. To focus on the CC, you might try stink bait or cut bait, depending on their size. I must say though that HSB around here love chicken liver.

In my pond, if I want to target the WE I'll drag a jig on bottom w/a piece of worm or soft plastic. I've also found my smallies like tube jigs and small twister tails, which, so far, the HBG have avoided. The tubes also might entice your crappies more than the HSB. You can switch up presentations and use a more stationary or vertical approach w/a slip bobber as opposed to a cast and retrieve. I'd say experiment until you find what works for you.

R
RER Offline
R
fish away from the feeder or not when the feeder goes off. They might just be in freak out feeding mode when it goes off.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks guys. Unfortunately, my note above was not obviously clear in dealing with my dilemma.

My problem is not my ability to catch fish -- it is wanting to not catch certain species that I do not wish to disturb for a number of reasons.

I have way too much experience with catfish becoming hook shy at very early ages. They have memories much like elephants. Then they become monsters of the ponds that can only be harvested by pure trickery or death by old age.

My latest batch of hybrid striped bass are now in the 2-4 pound range, and I want to get them into the 5+ pound range before I start harvesting them. They fight their hearts out. On a light flyrod or on an ultralight panfish rig with 2-4 lb., line, I have to fight the HSB long and hard. I don't want them having a heart attack or developing other serious health conditions when they get hooked. I already had one die that I suspect was overworked (the fillets were delicious when steamed in butter with fresh asparagus straight from the garden). But that fish was just barely 3 lbs. Not what I want to be killing or harvesting.

As I do each spring, I needed to be heavily culling black crappie a few weeks ago before they started spawning. I was unable to do so because everything I fished with for the crappie was quickly attacked by the HSB. By the holes in their lips, I know I caught a number of the same HSB multiple times.

Based on what I'm seeing at the feeders, I also now feel I need to be culling medium to large female bluegill in that same pond. I'm still having the same issue with the HSB in that pond. They grab anything that hits the water far faster than anything else in the pond. It doesn't matter whether it is worms, a jig, a spinner, etc.

I also want to start pulling some 10+ inch hybrid bluegill from my HBG/CC/HSB put-and-take pond. I have a similar problem, but mostly with the channel cats. No matter what hits the water, including old leaves from the trees, a jig, or a spinner, the channel cats are there to take it. Some are close to harvest size, but I'd rather they eat and grow for at least another couple of months.

So, I've got the issue of discouraging certain types of fish from grabbing a bait.

Lastly, I never fish near the fish feeders. My good friend EWEST, and several other long time Pond Boss experts, have written extensively about the effects of fishing near the feeders.

What I really need to know is HOW NOT TO CATCH FISH!

Ken

I have one thought on catching BCP only. As they do not normally take pellets, feed the pond heavily until the fish quit eating then go fishing for the BCP.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Ken, you mention culling before the spawn, and I acknowledge your reasons for doing so, but in this case can you target individuals WHILE they are on nests? Certainly that would be heavily biased towards males of both the crappie and HBG, but sight-fishing shallow water targets might allow for the exclusion of non-targeted species?

Just wondering out loud.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ken,

Looking back at your latest post...Newbie question...If the HSB are hitting anything you throw, does that mean they are just hungry and maybe too many in there for what the feeding/forage can support?

Bill D.

[Linked Image]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Ken, you mention culling before the spawn, and I acknowledge your reasons for doing so, but in this case can you target individuals WHILE they are on nests? Certainly that would be heavily biased towards males of both the crappie and HBG, but sight-fishing shallow water targets might allow for the exclusion of non-targeted species?

Just wondering out loud.

My thoughts too.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Ken

My HSB became hook shy in a hurry once they saw various artificial presentations several times. Only smaller fish now can be taken on anything conventional [10-14"] - everything larger can only be taken on live bait [nose hooked BG or GSH] or pellet imitation. I frankly like it that way - they don't interfere with fishing for SMB or my other species. In fact, I don't know I could catch a HSB on conventional tackle if I wanted to...those 28" fish are dang smart.

When crappie fishing with a FHM and Thill I may still get a HSB here or there - and they generally break me off, so it's a quick ordeal. I'll just add another bead, slip bobber, split and tru turn aberdeen hook and I'm ready to roll. I find the bobber a few days later on the shore, somewhere. I don't know if this will work for you or not, but if I lived next door I'd gear up with heavy braid, floro leader, and throw every bait you have for a few weeks [topwater, spinnerbaits, inline spinners, cranks, plastics] and, if your fishery is anything like mine, they will wise up in a hurry and you should be able to fish uninterrupted by speeding freight trains.

Don't worry about the HSB becoming hookshy - they will always fall for the pellet fly in my experience - no matter what size they are.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
TJ, those HSB sure liked crankbaits!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
I should delete your post.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I should delete your post.

laugh

When a guy tells me he cant catch fish in his pond, and then doesn't tell me the fishing regulations, I had to try!!!

I think they were easier to catch on a crankbait than on a pellet fly. wink grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
You have good suggestions. Fish after they have filled up at feeder and fishing off beds. One more might be fishing far away from feeder while feeder running so hsb and cc gathered at it and bc arent.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: catmandoo

Ken

Drink lots of beer, make us venison pastrami, and forget to make any casts... wink

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Originally Posted By: catmandoo

Ken

Drink lots of beer, make us venison pastrami, and forget to make any casts... wink

Yeah, that may be the best idea.

I made a batch of venison pastrami for Memorial Day weekend. I held out a small piece that I thinly sliced and had with some fresh eggs this morning (I got new chickens last Monday).

There is another current thread about trying to catch HSB. Maybe I need to get those guys here to help me cull some of my other fish.

Don't get me wrong -- I love the HSB. But, when they can even out-compete my HBG, it seems kind of crazy.

My poor vicious and now-underfed catfish may need psychological counseling. Worst of all, there are the true bottom feeders -- my LMB. They don't have a chance.

The one good thing is that my catfish seem to be able to see in the dark. I've been able to get some real nice ones after dark in recent weeks with liver and frozen creek chubs.

Ponds sure can be fun and frustrating.

Ken

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I'll come fish...seems every time Bill Cody tells me I can't, or won't get a species, I do. I love catfishing and never seemed to have an issue with my CC getting hook shy. I caught them regularly.

Fresh Chicken liver on a #4 treble rarely fails me

Last edited by Rainman; 06/01/15 05:48 PM.

Originally Posted By: Rainman
I love catfishing and never seemed to have an issue with my CC getting hook shy. I caught them regularly.

Fresh Chicken liver on a #4 treble rarely fails me

+1! If that doesn't get them then G & S cheese/stink bait on a Doc's worm will! smile

[Linked Image]
B
B
Or a cheese dog with a 2/0 offset worm hook buried in it.

F
F
Can't help much with the hsb . But trout are about the only thing I have caught on salmon eggs. Large spoons can work wonders for trout too like the large krockadile or a pike spoon with a smaller hook. One trout lake in the spring the rainbows bite on every thing but black jigs and the brook trout eat only black jigs.

Good luck.

Water is the basis of all life, by design!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:17 AM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:16 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by FishinRod - 04/24/24 10:04 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Sunil - 04/24/24 07:49 AM