Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dave Davidson1), 755 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Guys

I recently posted about making my pond strictly for SMB & CNBG, well I have decided against doing that to many variables.

I found a guy in South Louisiana that has some pretty interesting fish. He offers Hybrid Coppernose which is coppernose x green ear sunfish. Then offers regular CNBG, he then offers a Giant Florida Hybrid Bream.I have some experience with the CNBG but I have never heard of either of the hybrids he is talking about and I have not been able to find any information about either one of the Hybrids. If I remember the conversation correctly he produces his own hybrids.

Any information would be appreciated, also the pond is one surface acre average depth 12' deepest 28'

D. Bass

If I am the smartest person in the room, I am in the wrong room.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I would step carefully here. Make sure you know exactly what it is you're buying. Not to be overly critical or suspicious, but you need details and information other than what this person is claiming, before putting down your money.

If it were me, I would pass on any of the hybrids if the seller cannot, or will not, provide greater clarity.

Have you asked specifically what constitutes a hybrid coppernose, and/or a Giant Florida Hybrid Bream? Try and find out, then post back here with what you've learned.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Can you ask him what he uses to make his Florida Hybrid Bream? I would not be afraid to give them a try if he will tell you what he uses for the G.HyFL Bream. I think the SMB would work okay with the either hybrid bream assuming they do not produce lots of offspring and he confirms that assumption. SMB should be able to control offspring from hybrid bream. Worst case you would need to add a few hybrid striped bass to help the smallies or manually remove about 100-200 HBG/ac each year. Wednesday I caught 30 mutt HBG in 1.5hr, it is not hard to remove 100-200.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 05/01/15 05:13 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
S
OP Offline
S
I know that the coppernose is crossed with a green ear sunfish not sure about the giant florida hybrid. I will find out and let everyone know the details.

D. Bass

C
C
D,

Is this guy your speaking of in Louisiana near Lafayette? "Shepards Hatchery"? I actually made a trip down there last year and posted about it.

Chad

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
If you are talking about Georgia Giants, you're not going to find out the mix. There have been a lot of dissenting opinions here on GG's.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Thanks for the info Chad! I thought those names sounded familiar!

Chad's post on the subject: http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=30054&Number=384352#Post384352

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
It will be very interesting to hear if salad ssab gets the same answers as Chad.

S
OP Offline
S
Yep that's the Guy.

Chad when I spoke with him he said the exact same things and what really caught my ear was how he claims they will not go back to a green sunfish, from everything I have read its says that this will happen.

Thanks everybody for all the information
Dallas Bass

Last edited by sallad ssab; 05/04/15 12:17 PM.

D. Bass

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
It takes quite a few years (12+) and lack of adequate predation and little if any supplemental stocking of HBG for the HBG population to revert to mutt HBG. Most fish farms do not follow one specific stocked population of HBG very long to know about long term development.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 05/04/15 01:13 PM.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Management. If someone's idea of management is to stock HBG one time and walk away, then yes, they may suffer problems. If the fish are stocked or utilized in an inappropriate setting for them, then that may cause issues also.

I would recommend taking some time and really studying up on HBG, before deciding one way or another. Lots of misinformation and hype out there regarding these fish. The fish farm wants to sell you fish. the internet is full of HBG misconceptions. Somewhere in the middle is some good info.

S
OP Offline
S
The pond is strictly for my children I have two small boys that all they want to do is catch huge bream and catfish. I would like to go with the HBG & channel cat for know becuase they are small. I have been reading alot about hybrids and coppernose, I was originally going to go with coppernose but was worried about them not being as aggressive as a hybrid for kids plus I am worried about them getting overpopulated for the size pond I have.

That is why the hybrid coppernose caught my attention I was thinking the best if both worlds

Last edited by sallad ssab; 05/04/15 02:02 PM.

D. Bass

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I have done some research on hybrid lepomis (sunfish)and posted some here in numerous threads. I have never heard of those fish mentioned. CNBG have spawning traits very close to regular BG. What is a green ear sunfish or Florida hybrid giant?

Genetics don't work that way. You can never go back to what the parent fish were. You can have the subsequent fish exhibit bad traits or good traits (many of which are never visible) or deformity and or outbreeding depression or hybrid vigor. All based on how the alleles line up and pair on the dna. But it never goes back to what it was dna wise.

From Wiki -

An allele (UK /&#712;æli&#720;l/ or US /&#601;&#712;li&#720;l/), or allel, is one of a number of alternative forms of the same gene or same genetic locus.[1][2] Sometimes, different alleles can result in different observable phenotypic traits, such as different pigmentation. However, most genetic variations result in little or no observable variation.

Most multicellular organisms have two sets of chromosomes; that is, they are diploid. These chromosomes are referred to as homologous chromosomes. Diploid organisms have one copy of each gene (and, therefore, one allele) on each chromosome. If both alleles are the same, they and the organism are homozygous with respect to that gene. If the alleles are different, they and the organism are heterozygous with respect to that gene.

The word "allele" is a short form of allelomorph ("other form"), which was used in the early days of genetics to describe variant forms of a gene detected as different phenotypes. It derives from the Greek prefix ;, allel, meaning "reciprocal" or "each other", which itself is related to the Greek adjective; (allos; cognate with Latin "alius"), meaning "other".

Last edited by ewest; 05/05/15 03:44 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails