Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,113
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
9 members (anthropic, Boondoggle, Fishingadventure, phinfan, jpsdad, Brett B, catscratch, jbird5986, Freg), 644 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
OP Offline
O
Looking for some expert advice me and my wife are building our first pond, and it should be about one acre. I have two young boys 1 and 4 my number one goal is a prime kids fishery. I personally would like to have YP/SMB/RES and a few HSB as a bonus fish. My only question is could I possibly add some HBG for the Kids to catch, or should I stock something different all together? I plan on feeding the fish please give me your advice if this is a sound stocking plan and if so how many fish number wise? I am open to any ideas.

I Subscribe
1 acre pond with YP,HBG,RES,HSB,SMB,GSH,FHM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I don't see a problem with the HBG. I don't see a strong forage fish in your stocking selection.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
O
OP Offline
O
Do you have any personal suggestions for stocking? I just thought the YP/SMB/RES/HSB would be a neat pond since almost every pond in my area is the standard LMB/BG/CC, but my goal is still to have fish for my kids to catch if my kids cant catch the fish it would be a failure to me. Like I said I am open to any combo of fish I have no problem feeding as well. Thanks for any advice

I Subscribe
O
OP Offline
O
How does this sound the first spring with water in the pond I would stock 10# FHM, 1,000 paper shells, and one box of GSH fry from Anderson minnow. That following fall I would stock 75 RES 2"-3" and 150 YP 4"-6". The next spring I would stock 100 HBG followed by 25 SMB and 25 HSB in the fall.

I Subscribe
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Hi Ozark and welcome to the forum!

I'm a cool water species fan and have experience with fisheries of this type on my land and also with several clients.

I think the companion sunfish species you've selected will work, you've obviously been doing your homework on the forum with research. Well done.

Here's a possible stocking plan for you to consider - of course it all depends on your goals.

Spring 2016

FHM - you don't need 10# if you're allowing them a year to reproduce. The more FHM you stock, the more you need to hand sort as invasive species frequently get lost in the thousands of FHM. If you stock this many, be sure to get them from a RELIABLE source - no fish trucks! I made that mistake as a rookie, and introduced BH and BG into my fishery which I'll never be rid of. I'd consider stocking 1# and hand sorting them to be safe and provide some spawning habitat for them. FHM aren't expensive, just please be careful stocking them - I do not advise dumping 15,000 FHM into a pond without absolute confidence in the source.

I stocked 50 paper crays in a .35 acre predator free pond and in one year had over 1,000 I seined and transported. I was amazed at their success, and while I don't recommend going that low, I'm using this as an example for you. You probably don't need to break the bank here - 100-200 would likely be just fine and you can save some $ to invest in other fish or habitat, etc.

You can try the GSH fry, several on the forum seem to report success with this Anderson plan. Or you can stock 100 adults [4-6"+] and let them do their thing over the Summer. Bear in mind GSH spawning habitat consists of submerged/emergent vegetation - if your new pond lacks this, reproduction might be affected negatively. Submerged vegetation [even grass grown along shoreline] will work as well as aquatic vegetation - so consider getting some grass going prior to filling the pond if you want to provide spawning habitat should you elect to stock adults. While I've never had to rely on this method, fescue, rye, random weeds, whatever will likely work according to experts on the forum.

You can stock the RES in Spring/Summer at that size, or wait until Fall. If you just want a presence to help manage snail population, 75-100 is a good number. That low density will likely be enough to disrupt yellow/black grub parasitic cycle, and due to lower competition for forage items in their niche, the RES will grow large quickly. Bear in mind, however, you won't have a significant angling opportunity considering the low density - will likely serve as a bonus catch from time to time, which might fit your goals fine. If you want them to serve as more of an angling opportunity, you could safely stock 150-250 without impacting the fishery negatively. if your RES are not performing to your standards in a season or two, harvest a few dozen and thin the population - they'll respond favorably with improved body condition.

I think the Fall is good for YP stocking, also - and those size fish should be available somewhere up North. Contact Rex Rains [Rainman on the forum], he will source good genetics for you. Request pellet trained fish as that will relieve some pressure off your forage base of GSH. Depending on your goals for the YP, I think you could go anywhere from 100 - 400/ac. You might not get reproduction/recruitment from these YP depending on your water temps - I believe YP need 49 degrees for egg development, but Cody can advise on this detail. If you aren't pulling spawns, supplemental stocking of YP annually or biannually will be necessary. If you won't pull spawns, 150 initial stocking might be a good number, and follow up in a season or two with another 100-150. Qty will be dependent on your harvest plan - YP are hard to beat in cornmeal and peanut oil!

HBG the following Spring sounds good, but I think you can nudge that number up depending on what you do with RES and YP. You could go up as high as 400-500/ac, again depending on your goals and stocking qty of YP and RES. Some on the forum help manage HBG populations by removing all female HBG caught and it sounds like a good strategy. Periodically stock new HBG to help prevent them from reverting to GSF genetics - Cody and Sparkplug can advise further on this topic. Pellet program will help feed the HBG, they'll grow large and fast and be a blast to catch in UL tackle or flyrod.

I like your SMB numbers - look for 6-8" fish in Fall. With that low density, the SMB will grow larger and while not caught frequently, will be a lot of fun. SMB population management could serve as an issue for you - they will spawn successfully in rock substrate but can also do so on hard clay [they spawn on both in my ponds], so this will be something to keep an eye on. Removing SMB and caging isn't hard, and Rex can likely find a home for them if you pull spawns annually and need to cull fish. Rex can source these for you from Fountain Bluff hatchery - they have offered pellet trained in the past my FB fish from Rex have performed admirably.

HSB stocking numbers sound good - or you can consider ladder stocking so you have several year classes represented. You could go 10 in the Fall, follow in two seasons with another 10 [year 4], follow in two seasons with another 10 [year 6], etc. If you plan on harvesting any HSB, bump these numbers during ladder stocking. Pellet program will keep these fish happy and growing fast. Rex can source these for you, too.

Remember, if you want big fish, go heavy forage and pellet program and keep stocking numbers like and harvest liberally. If you want more angling opportunities nudge the numbers upward. I've tried to provide some very general guidelines and you can adjust according to your goals.

This sounds like a very promising fishery, and we can't wait to experience the journey with you. Keep us apprised of your plans, and always feel free reach out with questions. Now, post some photos of your proposed pond site, please - we love photos!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

S
S
Ozarkfisher maybe i can help as well

Where in the Ozarks are you ? ,,Im from Williford Ar
A couple things i can add .
One Is what kind of fish are avalable in your area for stocking ? I have found that some of what was suggested isnt avalable in the Ozarks
I purchased my fish from Arkansas Pond Stockers from Cash Ar and might add they are great to deal with ,My fatheads had no mixed fish of any kind and only thing i saw out of place was 2 lmb in my cnbg

I wanted a catfish pond and mine is about 1 acre so i went with 100 cnbg 5 lb fatheads 5 grass carp and 150 6-8 inch cc and to give my wife something to catch till the lil catfish grow we added 20 2 - 3 lb cc

Last edited by scatterlandsfarm; 05/06/15 08:30 PM.

Founding Member Scatterlands Farms Williford Ar
http://www.ozarkhunter.net/

Originally Posted By: scatterlandsfarm
to give my wife something to catch till the lil catfish grow we added 20 2 - 3 lb cc

20 CC 2 to 3 lbs? I am not a pro but IMHO I would worry those guys will go thru a bunch of the fish you just stocked in a few weeks.

Last edited by Bill D.; 05/06/15 09:01 PM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
P
P
Oops!! Fat cats

S
S
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Originally Posted By: scatterlandsfarm
to give my wife something to catch till the lil catfish grow we added 20 2 - 3 lb cc

20 CC 2 to 3 lbs? I am not a pro but IMHO I would worry those guys will go thru a bunch of the fish you just stocked in a few weeks.
In that case they may grow and we will eat them ,, Why worry ? its just fish and if my wife is happy im happy . You see i spent thousands of dollars for deer hunting land and this pond came up for sale and boarders my land, well the wife didnt hunt but loves to fish even if she doesnt catch anything she is happy and i had a reason to buy more land so i am happy and thats good .........

Founding Member Scatterlands Farms Williford Ar
http://www.ozarkhunter.net/

P
P
Ya done good!

O
OP Offline
O
TeeJaeh, thanks for the valuable insight I will make some changes to my stocking plan and repost on this thread. With the YP I checked and local lakes in the area have water temps in the 40s during the winter and local ponds freeze over so hopefully I should be able to pull off a spawn in an acre pond I hope.

Scatter, I am from Harrison up in the northwest corner I also have noticed the lack of fish species in the area, but I have no problem driving to go get them or having them shipped.

I Subscribe
O
OP Offline
O
TeeJaeh, I know how everyone likes pictures so yes I will be starting a thread in the pond construction area soon and will update it as progress happens. This forum and pond boss mag. have been great tools in the last year for planning this venture.

I Subscribe
Lunker
Lunker
You bet, I'm happy to help in any way I can. Don't take the stocking suggestions as an absolute - these are guidelines you can nudge one way or another. I'd recommend buying Lusk and Otto books which are invaluable to guys about to construct a pond. Perfect Pond by Lusk and Just Add Water by Otto are available via the pondboss.com website.

I wanted to let you know the reason I have BH and BG in my fishery are due to tainted FHM stocking via Arkansas Pond Stockers, aka Ye Olde Fish Truck. I noticed they were mentioned in the post here, and I strongly advise you use a reputable hatchery in AR or contact Rex. Do not take chances - your fishery will be forever altered...it only takes two fish.

That's great news about your YP forecast - reproducing YP in AR would be amazing to witness. We can ride your coattails and claim bragging rights for Pond Boss...as far as I am aware you'd be the only pondmeister with YP reproduction in AR. Too cool!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

O
OP Offline
O
Thanks Teejaeh I will definitely look into those books. I had planned on using Anderson Minnow (will still hand sort) here in AR for my FHM and GSH has anyone here on the forum had good luck with them? The YP have been a real goal of mine since there are very few in our lakes and they are great table fare. My goal for the pond would be more angling opportunity for my kids so I readjusted the stocking numbers let me know what you think.
Spring 2016
2# hand sorted FHM
200 PSH
100 GSH brood stock
150 RES

Fall 2016
300 YP possibly different sizes(age groups)?

Spring 2017
200 HBG will release any confirmed females to peanut oil

Fall 2017
25 SMB pellet trained if possible
10 HSB will ladder stock bi-yearly

I Subscribe
I have a question on stocking PSC in a new pond. Assuming there is proper structure such as rock piles, should their stocking be delayed until vegetation begins growing in the pond or will they find enough forage to get by?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
O
OP Offline
O
That's a good question also one I had not thought about definitely wouldn't want to starve the PSC. Hopefully someone knowledgeable on PSC will answer it for us.

I Subscribe
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I have all of those books. But my favorite is still Raising Trophy Bass.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
O
OP Offline
O
Would there be any way to accelerate the above mentioned stocking plan without compromising it so to speak? I am not worried about spending a little extra money to have my kids fishing quicker I just want a quality fishery. thanks for any advice

I Subscribe
Lunker
Lunker
Ozark I think you've condensed everything pretty well already...the difference in accelerating your predator fish stocking isn't worth the risk of an under developed forage base IMO. It's hard to be patient, but we've all been there.

Now, if you insist on accelerating, here's my recommendations:

You can money whip the forage stocking plan and exponentially expand stocking qty of forage species. You could conceivably stock RES with the forage in Spring 2016.

Fall 2016 you could stock all remaining fish species. You will spend more $ on forage base stocking, but you could save a year on the plan if it's that important to you.

O
OP Offline
O
Thanks TJ in that case I believe I will just stick with the original plan and stock it over two seasons. I would hate to hammer an underdeveloped forage base and ruin my stocking plans.
On another note should I seed some sort of vegetation before my pond fills up so the papershells have something to eat, and how about grass shrimp would they be a good addition to a SMB pond?

I Subscribe
Lunker
Lunker
IMO crays will be fine, I suspect they will find a way to thrive - mine certainly did.

Yes, Grass shrimp have zero negative impact on fishery, provides another forage source for YOY fish, your RES, etc. I recommend them in every fishery as they're simple to stock, and typically develop self sustaining populations. My shrimp use many types of cover, including FA. If you lack predators they should be fine until vegetation establishes.

O
OP Offline
O
Thanks as always for the great information TJ

I Subscribe
Lunker
Lunker
Hey, your project deserves attention - doing some very cutting edge things there and I fully support your efforts. Ping me anytime to chat - can't wait to see what you do.

Further, it's a lot of fun helping those who take the time to be grateful for the direction...you'll find an abundance of advice here with that positive attitude. Thanks for setting a good example for us all to follow and to be thankful for other's time.

O
OP Offline
O
Going to reopen this thread for some quick advice. If I stocked PSH, FHM, grass shrimp, and banded killifish would that be enough forage so that I don't have to stock GSH ? I have heard mixed reviews on GSH and am not sure I want them also my pond should be finished around July. If there is enough water could I stock these forage species in the fall so that they get a jump on next spring?

I Subscribe
Lunker
Lunker
I don't know enough about BKF to make a recommendation on whether they would establish a self sustaining population in the presence of those predators. Travis and Cody can respond to that with their experience, but my hunch is they would not make it alone. If you pellet feed your YP and SMB, it helps shift focus/pressure off the natural forage base and your chances improve. Why is this advice sounding familiar? wink

My advice is to go ahead with this stocking plan if GSH aren't appealing to you right now, and if the BKF aren't thriving, you can always stock adult GSH down the road. This is what Josh [Omaha] is doing and I like his plan - but don't tell him I admitted that publicly.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 09:45 PM
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 09:39 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails