Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,095
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (Sunil, jpsdad, azteca, esshup, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261), 726 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#404127 03/17/15 07:45 AM
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I went by Lowe's and picked up 25 sheets of a blue colored Styrofoam sheets that are 3'x4'x3/8". I will be floating these near the banks on the pond for the FHM to use for spawning. I was thinking the 7 to 8 pallets that are floating do not provide enough surface area for all the FM I have in the pond. I started with 90 lb's back in November and added 30 more pounds in Feb. That's a lot of minnows. i just thought I might pass this along for others to see or to make comments about. And I thought I read somewhere here of using Tarps floating on the surface as spawning beds and I might do that also.
Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
I would think the Styrofoam would work better than the tarps, as the tarps would sink during a rain event wouldn't they?

Side thought, you'll have to make sure that algae will grow on that Styrofoam finish - I wouldn't think it'd be a problem but just a thought.

Are you securing them so they don't drift all over? I believe I read on a previous post that the spawning substrate works better if it's secured.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
F
F
If they have no place to get under to lay their eggs are they NOT going to spawn?? I have stacked pallets but not many. Bass will spawn anywhere they can. Are fhm not able to adapt?

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Flame, this is my first time to build and stock a pond. It has not been on the cheep. lol I have laydown's for the lmb, and cender block pyramids sunk and root balls of sweet gum trees and pallets and rock piles but when u go to thinking about spawning FHM's, I think of the numbers of male and female pairs wanting to spawn, in a pound of FHM's. just 1 lb would be around 60 to 70 pairs wanting to spawn. Now increase those pairs by the number of pounds of minnow u stock. That is a lot of pairs of FHM looking for a spawning spot with an underside area to spawn on.
Tracy

Tracy
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
d, I will be staking down the mats in shallow areas and for the Tarp, I was thinking of pushing some rebar rods into the bottom of the pond and then tying off the corners of the tarp causing the tarp to be rigid while floating on the surface. I also understand the tarp absorbs heat making it a good place for the FHM's for spawning.
Tracy

Tracy
FWIW My understanding is FHM do not pair off to spawn. A male builds/selects his nest and then spawns with multiple females in the same nest. The male will keep this up till he gets tuckered out and then another male will take over the nest and keep the process going as long as water temps are right.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Bill D I think u r right but when two get together even for a short moment, isn't that a pair? smile
Tracy

Tracy
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
When the male builds the nest, he needs a place with an underside to it, if I understand it correctly? So Bill D, in my case there is or I hope there is the 130 lbs of FHM's. That is a lot of area required for a male to build a nest, I think? Anyone know how close the male will build next to his brother?
Tracy

Tracy
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I expect that the pads will work out OK. They will spawn on just about anything that they can get under.

And yep, two of anything is still a pair.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Originally Posted By: TGW1
Bill D I think u r right but when two get together even for a short moment, isn't that a pair? smile
Tracy

You got me there man. Sure wish you could go to yer fish supplier to get yer FHM and tell him you want 20% males and 80% females.. Get way more "bang" for your buck (pun intended)! grin

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted By: TGW1
When the male builds the nest, he needs a place with an underside to it, if I understand it correctly? So Bill D, in my case there is or I hope there is the 130 lbs of FHM's. That is a lot of area required for a male to build a nest, I think? Anyone know how close the male will build next to his brother?
Tracy

I think I read they like 18 to 24 inches from their neighbor's nest.

[Linked Image]
D
D

D
D
Found another interesting paper on FHM spawning. By Dewitt (1993) in Can Journ Zool V71.

He tried 50, 100, 200 sq cm sized tiles at 25, 50, 100 cm depth.
He found they preferred 100 & 200 sq cm and not 50 sq cm.
They used all 3 depths- no preference noted.
They like to nest next to each other. He theorized that FHM prefer a nest that already has eggs and this leads them to congregate where there are eggs in sight. He cites nests within 4 cm, presumably the edges. Tis interesting as some try to keep nests out of sight of the next nest to minimize energy used to defend. He cites Unger (1983) as finding males nesting near other males also.

So per this paper, make the sites good sized (200 sq cm is 5.6" on a side), put them reasonably close and up to 3' deep.

Saw a BYU paper describing males going out to get a female and lead her back. Apparently it's a rather social thing.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Habitat or not, like college kids on Saturday night, they'll find a way...

Just do it...
M
M
You can buy a bundle of cedar shingles or shakes.....then go around the pond, and shove them into the bank at a 30-45° angle up from the bottom....maybe in 6-12" of water with the shingles under the surface. Space the shingles out about every 2ft or so, in several groupings around the pond.

Also, if you have access to large cobble or have some in the pond, you can lay down a loose bed of that and then cover it with limestone or shale slabs. The loose cobble will keep gaps open that the FHM can come under and use the slabs as nest sites. This may look a bit more natural than the shingles.

Best regards,

MT

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck. - Psalm 69:1
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Or, you can just float a couple of pieces of fence wood.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
T
They're not really all that picky. I have seen them spawn in bare clay bottom ponds that weren't even at 20% full pool. By the time the pond got full you could almost walk across the fatheads.

My guess is that we worry about it a lot more than they do.

C
C
I stocked FHM and CNBG in February.. Noticed lots of little fry on the shoreline the other .. Not sure what type of fish but sure excited to see them

T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Cav, glad to here your FHM are spawning. It's a good feeling to know the pond is producing fish smile I can watch my cnbg feed on the fhm fry. The bigger cnbg seam more interested in feeding on the fry over the fish pellets. it's cool to watch.

Tracy

Tracy
Well, I've got four pallets in a one acre pond. One is right below the surface with rocks piled on it. One sank, and the other two roam all over depending on the wind.
I have 8" gravel in beds around the shallow end for SMB (someday..) with smaller gravel piled on top of the 8". I've noticed the spawning FHM hanging out about two feet apart all around the big 8" gravel. It's piled, so there's a lot of gaps. I guess this is where they are spawning, going to spawn. No FHM around the pallets. I'm a total rookie at all this, I'm just watching and learning.
I do know when the feeder goes off the FHM seem to materialize out of nowhere in rivers of minnows.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
T
T
In my opinion, rock pile are one of the best things that you can add to any pond. The fatheads will use the little "caves". The crawdads will hide there. The bigger fish will relate to them like structure and use them as ambush points. There are so many benefits, plus it gives life a place to grow off of the clay bottom.

I can't find one draw back to adding a bunch of rock piles to your pond.

S
S
Originally Posted By: Caviler03
I stocked FHM and CNBG in February.. Noticed lots of little fry on the shoreline the other .. Not sure what type of fish but sure excited to see them

After observing for the first year you will be able to distinguish between the adult FHM and BG fry pretty easily. They swim and act different.

I would relate the way a FHM swims more like a shark or catfish. Moving most of the time with more random movements than the BG. I relate the FHM swimming more like an active puppy dog acts. The BG I would relate it's actions more like a cat. Measured, moves forward, inspects, moves again, inspects. Methodical. FHM random and more erratic.

When seeing the two schools feeding together on sinking pellets in shallow water, the FHM will go in Pell mell. The small similar size BG will be on perimeter more timid (adult FHM vs BG fry)

I suspect you are seeing FHM fry.

Last edited by snrub; 05/03/15 10:39 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
J
J
Fathead minnows will spawn under lily pads.

T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
In the past few weeks I have had a big FHM spawn, thousands along the shore line and along the sweet gum tree laydowns. But yesterday I watched a small group of maybe 50 fry that were flashing. They would turn on their side and flash a silver shinny side up. Some were so small that I would not have seen them but they flashed and would catch my eye. They were very active about flashing. The first time I ever say this action was when I went Bone fishing and would look for the flash to then follow up with a cast near the flash. I am guessing these might be GSH fry but not sure really of what these fry were. Just happy to watch the spawning going on. smile

Tracy

Tracy
FWIW My FHM flash a lot as well

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass