Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 933 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
C
broken ribs REX? towbill? I think we need to hear (think a famous deceased radio broadcaster here..) '...The REST of the story...'

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
broken ribs REX? towbill? I think we need to hear (think a famous deceased radio broadcaster here..) '...The REST of the story...'

Ditto, AND pictures of the delivery truck!!!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
OP Offline
B
Here is a 47 second clip of CNBG and a LMB cruising in around the 20 second marker. Video is a little shaky as the GoPro was tied to end of fishing line. I need to secure mount it again to pole so it doesn't flutter/shake.

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/CJwGVU9nzBo[/video]

B
OP Offline
B
About a minute of LMB video. Got the camera on a rod and down to the bass for close up viewing. Again, it is a little shaky so I will try to mount the camera again on a pole so it doesn't flutter back and forth.

But for those wanting some clear video of a bass in natural environment this might be a decent vid.

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/1eB-ucpneVU[/video]

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: basslover
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Really awesome BL - I love the addition of the YP and SMB. Keep pressure on the LMB and hope your YP and SMB fishery flourishes. Amazing looking pond and great photos. Congrats and welcome to the SMB club!

Thank you! If NE wasn't so far away some of your smallies would be challenging my LMB right now, too! lol

I've seen a few of the smallies posting up near structure and swimming about. So far so good. Head count is now twice as many smallies as LMB.

Keep pressure on the LMB and your SMB and YP have a chance to make it. Remember the article on drawdown to limit LMB reproduction when they are on beds? It enabled SMB to remain dominant species in a fishery...very unique situation. Something to consider when you get LMB on beds, draw down 3-4' to help manage LMB population long term. Definitely something I'd do if I had both species present. Let us know what you end up doing and keep the photos coming.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

I've read lots of times that SMB will eventually disappear in BOWs with LMB. What is the cause(s)? LMB eat SMB fingerlings, SMB denied spawning sites, etc?? I'm thinking if we understand why the SMB disappear, we might stand a better chance of preventing it.

Last edited by Bill D.; 03/23/16 05:33 PM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Lunker
Lunker
Plenty has been posted on LMB/SMB relationship on forum and scientific studies on why LMB dominate shared fisheries. Mark Cornwell's article on SMB dominance in LMB/SMB fishery is the only information I've ever encountered where the balance was skewed in favor of SMB. My post highlights the article's hypothesis.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Thanks TJ. As you know (and only you know why), I also ended up with LMB in my SMB, WE, YP pond. I'm also heavy on the SMB numbers vs LMB numbers. I will continue on plan to remove LMB when I get a chance.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Originally Posted By: esshup

Until I met Rex, I never thought I'd need a tractor that had more than 70hp on a farm of less than 50 acres....just didn't seem possible. But we're 0/2 getting him unstuck with the 5610S.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac

Until I met Rex, I never thought I'd need a tractor that had more than 70hp on a farm of less than 50 acres....just didn't seem possible. But we're 0/2 getting him unstuck with the 5610S.

Yolk, I'll try hard not to make it 0/3!

As for all that happened, well, you'd just have to see the places I had to get to and what it took to get to them. Sort of like trying to maneuver a Mack truck through a 12' pipe half full of logs, trees and mud, turn around, and not scratch anything...lol Bottom line, it got done with the fish both happy and healthy! Delivering fish is always an adventure!

CanyonCreek, this is the rig I used for this run. The trailer, with 6 of 8 tanks filled, weighed in at 18,073 pounds...

Last edited by Rainman; 03/24/16 10:22 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Rex, I've learned from your mistakes and practice "no off pavement or off gravel travel" unless walked on foot first. Even then I'm really, really careful. Got stuck once, and that was enough.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
C
Thanks Rex! That is QUITE THE LOAD!!!

By us, if you pull a trailer with that much weight behind a truck of any type you need to have registered with the DOT and have your DOT numbers plastered on the side of the truck.

Scary going down a hill with all that weight sloshing around behind you!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Rex, I've learned from your mistakes and practice "no off pavement or off gravel travel" unless walked on foot first. Even then I'm really, really careful. Got stuck once, and that was enough.

esshup, I did walk it, but it was at dusk and I didn't see that an upper pond was draining and spreading out further into the field I was turning around in. I'd walked out about 40 feet and it was reasonably solid....mush at 45 feet..lol

B
B
Well, I don't feel quite so guilty now. I thought I was the only one who got my fish guy stuck. Of course, it was mid December, pitch black, pouring rain, on a neglected lane full of recently trenched water and electrical lines. Funny thing was I was also stuck and hoping he would pull me out!!

Last edited by brook wilson; 03/24/16 02:43 PM.
C
C
Rex, hope you don't go near a military base or government building with those green missiles all strapped to the front of your trailer tongue smile

I can see that fish haulers are very a very dedicated crew. Thanks for all you do to get fish safely in our ponds!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: brook wilson
Well, I don't feel quite so guilty now. I thought I was the only one who got my fish guy stuck. Of course, it was mid December, pitch black, pouring rain, on a neglected lane full of recently trenched water and electrical lines. Funny thing was I was also stuck and hoping he would pull me out!!

Brook, I wanted to, but as I recall, we didn't have enough straps and chains to reach, and I thought your neighbor had it covered.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Rex, hope you don't go near a military base or government building with those green missiles all strapped to the front of your trailer tongue smile

I can see that fish haulers are very a very dedicated crew. Thanks for all you do to get fish safely in our ponds!

Used to spend nights with my kids in base housing at Little Rock Air Force Base weekly...They meet regs for transport.

B
OP Offline
B
A fish eye perspective. Look up on the bank and you can see why the fish scatter when there's movement.

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/On5SoJNgH2s[/video]

Presuming fish eyesight is similar to human eyesight then these bass can see a person on the bank fishing quite easily.

B
OP Offline
B
Some minnows were schooling about and caught some video.

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/iQi6fEM4_ek[/video]

B
OP Offline
B
Two largemouth bass and a mess of coppernose bluegills.

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/x9M8SALjBuE[/video]

Last edited by basslover; 03/26/16 09:37 AM.
B
OP Offline
B
Perch have been laying eggs everywhere. Caught this one on accident when fishing for CNBG. Landed a second YP after this one that was clearly a gravid female, so I stopped fishing as dusk was approaching and I got the feeling the perch were laying strands.

Oddly enough same outing landed this trout. One that the LMB haven't dined on yet!

I
I
Hi basslover
First of all congratulations for the fantastic pond and fish.
I would like to ask you if you know which kind of weed is the one you see growing on the bottom under and around the dock.
Thank you in advance

Filippo
O
O
Your pictures and videos are great what's the size of your pond it's beautiful

B
OP Offline
B
As Rex indicated, the yellow perch have taken to the weeds. You may see a lone perch swimming about, but ring the dinner bell and they emerge seemingly from nowhere! I enjoy watching them emerge from between blades, dine, and then disappear again.

Video has coppernose bluegill and yellow perch feeding.

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/s5dyzayn7ho[/video]

Last edited by basslover; 04/10/16 11:45 PM.
B
OP Offline
B
Anyone identify the fish that darts in around the 14 second marker? Has a lateral line, doesn't look like a perch or bluegill. I've added shiners, minnows, and trout. Could it be one of these 3 that has escaped predation? Or a small bass?

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/BwrRkVhUcUg[/video]

Last edited by basslover; 04/10/16 09:58 PM.
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy