Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
7 members (FishinRod, Fishingadventure, 4CornersPuddle, Bigtrh24, Boondoggle, Bill Cody, Ponderific2024), 1,109 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#409760 04/30/15 02:03 PM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I need a new rod. Well, that's probably not true... I WANT a new rod, dedicated to slip float presentations. I'm a big St Croix fan, but really don't want to use them for this application, due to $$$, but more importantly, due to guide sizing.

I need a six foot one piece rod, preferably graphite, ultralight, fast action, and critical to success....guide size. None of the micro diameter guides like found on my Croix's, but rather a larger size, let's say 3/16-1/4" ID at the tip. I don't care if the guides are all metal, ceramic coated, whatever.

I do not have a very good selection available locally to choose from, and I'm hesitant to order a rod sight unseen without verifying the guide diameters beforehand. Anybody have anything like this in their arsenal, and if so, where did you get it?

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
P
P
What reel are you using and for what type of fishing?

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Spinning reel. This rod is intended for slip float fishing only....hence the need for larger guides. During cold weather, ice forms on your line and in the guides, preventing the float stop from passing through freely. The current trend of putting micro diameter guides on rods works well for helping improve casting distance, but hinders this style of fishing greatly.

You have me curious Sparkie. Why do you want the large guides?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
P
P
Sparkie thank goodness I live in an ice free area! Can't imagine having to have to fish in that cold of temp. I hand it to you guys. I use a cheep zebco33 with their rod 24$ have caught 7# bass on those things and they cast light jigs with a cork really good. When my blue cats get some size- Dif story

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: Bill D.

When using a slip float, you have a float stop on your line also, that can be slid up and down to control the depth that you want to fish at. It's most often a knot, tied with dacron. Your line will slip through the float, but the knot won't.

But, this means that during cold water periods, there exists a need to fish deeper water from shore....I need the ability to cast horizontal distances of 60-70', and still fish vertically at depths of 10-18' once I reach that spot. A slip float will allow this.

However, when the knot is set for great depths, you find that the knot is reeled onto the spool with your line....which of course means that when you cast, the knot must travel through the guides with the line.

In cold weather, this knot will freeze up. Combined with a small diameter guide that's also freezing up, and you sling this rig for the middle of the pond only to have the knot slam into a guide, rather than sliding through. It can be a pretty violent stop, if you're casting hard.

Larger diameter guides help alleviate this difficulty.

Sparkie I've had really good luck with Fenwick rods...I also have a couple St Croix and I would consider the fenwick comparable in quality. And their warranty is good - I just sent an HMX baitcasting rod that I broke the tip off of to them and got the notice today that the new rod is on the way to me via FedEx.

I'd go with an HMX

http://www.fenwickfishing.com/Fenwick%C2%AE-HMX%C2%AE-Spinning/1363883,default,pd.html#start=7

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Originally Posted By: Bill D.

When using a slip float, you have a float stop on your line also, that can be slid up and down to control the depth that you want to fish at. It's most often a knot, tied with dacron. Your line will slip through the float, but the knot won't.

But, this means that during cold water periods, there exists a need to fish deeper water from shore....I need the ability to cast horizontal distances of 60-70', and still fish vertically at depths of 10-18' once I reach that spot. A slip float will allow this.

However, when the knot is set for great depths, you find that the knot is reeled onto the spool with your line....which of course means that when you cast, the knot must travel through the guides with the line.

In cold weather, this knot will freeze up. Combined with a small diameter guide that's also freezing up, and you sling this rig for the middle of the pond only to have the knot slam into a guide, rather than sliding through. It can be a pretty violent stop, if you're casting hard.

Larger diameter guides help alleviate this difficulty.

I gotcha. I've only have one rod where I have had that problem. The rest, the knot passes right thru. Just a thought, since the rest of the guides will not be an issue, you can always put a larger tip guide on just about any rod. They sell assorted tips about everywhere.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Tony--
Business associate of mine is an outdoor writer who gets a lot of free fishing stuff, the excess of which he sometimes deposits upon me. He just brought me a B'n'M 6'2 2 piece crappie rod that someone had sent him--it has very wide eyes on the guides. I was looking at it the other day, thinking would a good slipfloat rod it would make. It's ultralight, but the action is fairly slow, which might not fit your needs perfectly.... I wonder if the company might not make one that's faster.

I'd be happy to drop it in the mail for you to try, if you'd like; got cardboard tube I could cut to size for transport.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Bill, on the Croix's it's not just a matter of the tip being too small, the last 2-3 guides before the tip are the same, small size also.

Thanks for the awesomely generous offer, Yolk! As appreciative as I am, I know that you occasionally fish floats also, same as I do. You hold onto it, and when you get it set up let me know what you think?

In the meantime, realization is slowly dawning that finding the perfect rod may entail taking a trip to a metropolis with more than three stoplights.

D
D
Yolk could you post a make and model of that rod? We love to use a ultra light float rod for the perch here.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
B
B
Tony, I also like Fenwick and get most of mine at their outlet site--fishermans factory outlet--ffo-tackle.com. Sometimes, like right now, their selection isn't that great; but if you're patient, what you're looking for will usually show up there.

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Don-
It's the Duck Commander Ultralight Crappie Spinning Rod, Model DCSPIN.

I'm glad your question made me look closer....I'd trust Sparkie with a Fenwick or a St. Croix, but there's no way I'm going to send him a Duck Commander.

Actually does look perfect for slip floats-wide guides at the top of the rod, and colored bands every 12" for setting depth. Very light as well.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Yolk, after reading your thoughts on the matter last night, I visited the B'n'M site and liked a couple of their options. You say the guides are larger, the entire length of the rod? Why don't manufacturers show these types of details?

Trouble I'm having locally, is finding the combination of 6' length, larger guides, and ultralight/ fast action. Some of the so-called ultralights I've picked up could be used to bludgeon snakes in tall grass, or possibly used as a prybar if the mule should get stuck. Unless you go with 5' or less.

You're absolutely correct in not trusting me with a Duck Commander. I shiver at the multitude of frightening possibilities.

Hi Tony!

I'm just chiming in to suggest that when you do go rod shopping, take the reel with you and make sure it sits properly on your desired rod. The angle of the reel seat might not line up well with the guides, even on expensive rods.

This link explains the idea with nice pictures. See tip #4.

http://anglersresource.net/WhattoLookforinaTopShelfSpinningRod.aspx

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Thanks guys. Your suggestions are much appreciated!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Sparke - as talented as you are, why not make your own rod and hand pick each guide?. Wrapping guides onto a rod is not all that hard. Use the whip finish knot at the end. Whip finish knot is also the knot I use to make my own bobber stops. I made a lot of my own ice fishing rods with large guides. I even rewrapped a fly rod to act as a spinning rod. Coated the thread with clear nail polish. Not professional, but it gets the job customised and done.
http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/rod-building/

Last edited by Bill Cody; 05/01/15 01:32 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
C
C
If you don't mind a two piece you might consider this:

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Micro-Lite-Graphite-Spinning-Rod/product/10204875/

It has huge guides and is very good for the price. I pair it with a Pflueger President 6920. I actually prefer it's feel to my one piece St Croix Premier UL.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Thanks Greg. I have one of those rods, and you're right, they are pretty decent.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Sparke - as talented as you are, why not make your own rod and hand pick each guide?. Wrapping guides onto a rod is not all that hard. Use the whip finish knot at the end. Whip finish knot is also the knot I use to make my own bobber stops. I made a lot of my own ice fishing rods with large guides. I even rewrapped a fly rod to act as a spinning rod. Coated the thread with clear nail polish. Not professional, but it gets the job customised and done.

I was about to post the same thing! If Maple Syrup production serves as any historical guide, you'd become an expert in short order. I have always wanted to give this a try myself. I say go for it, T!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S

It's about the fear, gentlemen. Not fear of the unknown, but fear of embracing another hobby. I have difficulty easing into a new endeavor, and tend to fling myself into it with gusto. This usually results in me spending large sums of money, and devoting every waking moment to my latest passion.

It begins innocently enough, with me wanting to make one, single rod for myself, just because it's so difficult to buy what I want off the shelf. From there it escalates rapidly...next thing I know, there are specialized fixtures and equipment involved...incantations and chants performed in the nude, under the moonlight...the guides are forged from a metal so rare it doesn't even have a name...they're wrapped and tied with hair from a unicorn's mane....the blanks themselves are produced by a community of elves living in the hollow earth...

No, I think not. Rod building may seem benign, even therapeutic on the surface. But I know better.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Sparkie - If I didn't live so far away I would do it for you. You might have a hobbyist rod builder close to you and don't know it. Your simple rod could be wrapped up in an hour or two if you provide the blank. Cut off the guides on one of your old rods that has the desired action. I even put new guides on one of my dad's favorite old rods. Ask around at some bait shops if they know any rod builders or check on Craig's list? Any fly tyer should also be able to do it. We are not talking complicated engine or carburetor repair here.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 05/01/15 05:24 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug

It's about the fear, gentlemen. Not fear of the unknown, but fear of embracing another hobby. I have difficulty easing into a new endeavor, and tend to fling myself into it with gusto. This usually results in me spending large sums of money, and devoting every waking moment to my latest passion.

It begins innocently enough, with me wanting to make one, single rod for myself, just because it's so difficult to buy what I want off the shelf. From there it escalates rapidly...next thing I know, there are specialized fixtures and equipment involved...incantations and chants performed in the nude, under the moonlight...the guides are forged from a metal so rare it doesn't even have a name...they're wrapped and tied with hair from a unicorn's mane....the blanks themselves are produced by a community of elves living in the hollow earth...

No, I think not. Rod building may seem benign, even therapeutic on the surface. But I know better.

Join me in reality, Captain Weirdo...everyone knows Rod Elves live in hollow trees! whistle

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Tony, I have the same problem. My Wife is going to kick my butt if I pick up another obsessive hobby. I tend to spend a lot of $ for a short time and then lose interest.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
My face is red on this morn, TJ...you are of course, correct. blush

It's the dwarves who live in the hollow earth, and mine the unnameable metal used for the rod guides. Duh.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM