Hello folks. Just signed up on the forum as it was highly recommended by other forums and a few people I have spoken to I person. We purchased a few acres two years ago, and I've slowly been doing large projects around the house. We're redoing our driveway and will need quite a bit of fill to do so. I thought to myself, what better idea then to get fill by digging out a pond.

Here's what I'm envisioning: A small sized pond, ranging perhaps 30-50 feet in diameter with varying depths of 4-7 feet. Throughout the summer it would have nice water feature to cycle the water and prevent stagnation. I would also like to stock some fish in there as well, priority bring catfish. I really have no idea about the feasibility of this, by can you allow the pond surface to freeze for ice skating and such in the winter while ensuring your fish will survive?

Some other unanswered questions- My water table is significantly lower than one could ever imagine since I live up on such a high hill. Do you predict issues with significant water loss of my only supply is via rain water? Can catfish coexist with other fish without issue? As discussed, is it possible to have the ability to feed and catch fish in the summer then allow for a frozen pond in the winter while maintaining the population of fish? What legal bridges must be crossed in order to build the pond, just check with township regulations and the Department of Agriculture? Additionally, I've heard that ponds are considered pools and must be fenced. Is this true?

Last edited by mrrr0809; 05/02/15 09:37 PM.