Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,084
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Fishingadventure, PRCS, Dave Davidson1, Theo Gallus, BillyE, Sunil, Requa, Jason D, Jared015), 767 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Trevor Offline OP
OP Offline
T
This forum talks a lot about using a Sheepsfoot roller. I always assumed a Sheepsfoot roller was a Padfoot roller until I came across these 2 different rollers. When compacting clay for a pond is it best to use the first roller pictured, the actual Sheepsfoot roller or does a Padfoot do the job well enough?

Thanks

Attached Images
image.jpg image.jpg
T
T
In another life I bought all the materials to make rollers like those but regret I don't recall their application.

Found this article though......

http://foresternetwork.com/daily/construction/construction-equipment/how-to-select-a-soil-roller/

S
S
I'm no expert and can not answer your question with any authority. But one of the qualities for pond use of a sheepsfoot roller is that it not only compacts, but kneads and/or mixes the soil as it compacts. The "feet" punch down through mixing different layers of soil together. Where a smooth roller only compacts and leaves any non-uniform layers intact. So if you have some clay and some topsoil or whatever, the sheeps feet arrangement will tent to mix the two together rather than keep them in layers. Having the soils uniformly mixed instead of separated is beneficial.

If a person is using something with a smooth surface for compaction, such as a smooth roller or a filled rubber tired dirt scraper (which is what I used), it is important that any dis-similar soils get mixed via other means. Like a disc harrow or even the dozer operator watching what he is doing and mixing the soils up as he deposits them in the lift.

The other thing with the sheepsfoot is that the point pressure is much greater for a given weight, so if enough passes are made the ultimate compaction can be higher - if enough passes are made. The vibratory compactor should get the compaction in fewer passes though, because of the vibration effect.

I'm talking above my pay grade now, but that is the differences as I see them. The important part is that the soil get mixed if it is non-uniform (layers of top soil with clay) and that it get adequate compaction.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
snrub sums up the compaction devices of soil for pond building pretty well. Kneading or knitting the soil layers together is important for optimum compaction. The vibratory knobbed compactor will be somewhat better than the regular sheepsfoot if both are given equal number of passes over the soil. Double barrel sheepsfoot due to extra weight is much better than a single barrel sheepsfoot. Single barrel sheepsfoot weighs less and tends to bounce too much for best compaction.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/30/15 01:21 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
T
Trevor Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the information fellas.

I have access to the double barrel sheepsfoot. How big of a tractor will i need to pull it. They are 48" drums. I'm afraid the tractor I have access to won't be big enough. Those things look heavy!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Sheepsfoot rollers are heavy for a reason. Some builders use two dozers to build a pond. One to dig and a smaller one one pulling a sheepsfoot roller to spread & compact the lifts both working in unison.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/11/15 01:50 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
T
T
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Sheepsfoot rollers are heavy for a reason. Some builders use two dozers to build a pond. One to dig and a smaller one one to spread & compact the lifts both working in unison.

Most drum rollers are ballasted with water which creates the weight.

T
Trevor Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Has anyone ever used a walk behind 24" vibratory padfoot roller?

My site is fairly small so I'm not worried about the extra time it would take, however they seem pretty light weight. Do they do the same job as a larger pad foot roller?

Thanks for the help, trying to get all this planning and research taken care of before putting the plan in action.

Trevor

C
C
I have used the 24"compactors mostly for compacting trenches.you need to be careful about them tipping over it doesn't take much off camber to flop it on it's side. You will need to make a lot of passes to get the same compaction.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images