Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,058
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (emactxag, Ron crismon, jpsdad, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Tinylake), 656 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#409430 04/27/15 08:00 PM
T
OP Offline
T
So I have a new pond recently put in: 1/2 acre and about 14 to 16 ft deep. As of right now, it's about half full and just dirt all around.

I want to put some fish (LMB, BG, RES) in as soon as the water level is sufficient but is there something else I should be doing?

My goal is just to have a supply of survival food should the need arise, not so much for beauty or sport.

Hey Griff,

FWIW IMHO If I was building a survival pond, I would want the fastest growing protein meal I could get. BG, RES and LMB taste good but do not grow near as fast as CC. I personally love the taste of CC as well! I would drop a few CC in your stocking plan. I am maintaining 15 or so as "put, grow and take" in my 1/3 acre. I will be harvesting my first crop this summer and stocking small ones again this fall. I put them in last spring and they are around 16 inches already. BTW Tradititional pond stocking plan from the old days for a family food pond was LMB, BG and CC. I suspect there is a reason for that like easiest to maintain balance and manage. RES has been added to some state DNR's recommendations. I manage my pond the old fashion way, for food, not trophies.

Just dun let the CC get too big or they will take over your pond. You should harvest every year or two.

Bill D.

Last edited by Bill D.; 04/27/15 09:13 PM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Hey Griff,

FWIW IMHO If I was building a survival pond, I would want the fastest growing protein meal I could get. BG, RES and LMB taste good but do not grow near as fast as CC. I personally love the taste of CC as well! I would drop a few CC in your stocking plan. I am maintaining 15 or so as "put, grow and take" in my 1/3 acre. I will be harvesting my first crop this summer and stocking small ones again this fall. I put them in last spring and they are around 16 inches already. BTW Tradititional pond stocking plan from the old days for a family food pond was LMB, BG and CC. RES has been added to some state DNR's recommendations. I manage my pond the old fashion way, for food, not trophies.

Just dun let the CC get too big or they will take over your pond. You should harvest every year or two.

Bill D.

Can you explain what you mean harvest every year or two?

Also, whenever I do a search for pond stocking and find a site and look at the fish, none of them list common carp. Do they have another name or are they not very popular?

Harvest means catch the big ones and eat them. I like to get CC 3 lbs or smaller for the best taste.

Carp is not that popular with most people as they can be pretty boney. Taste is ok. They have a bad reputation as most consider them trash fish. There is actually a commercial fishing industry on Lake Koshkonong here for them though.

[Linked Image]
Fingerling
Fingerling
Griff what Bill is referring to is Channel Catfish (CC), he has developed a put and take fishery on his CC. He harvest so many out every year and also restocks that amount. Your pond can produce only a certain amount of pounds of fish per acre.

As per you stocking: start building your forage--food chain--then add in your bass. Depending on your goals will determine what sizes and quickness you do this.

Look at the threads on forage and creating the food chain. Your imagination and willingness can led to an amazing fishery.

You could start stocking your forage now with the pool level you have. FHM, CNBG, and RE are good choices.

laugh
Good land management is an extended learning experience-Aldo Leopold
Thanks for helping out with clarification Joshua. Griff, the PB forum acronym for common carp is CGC (Common German Carp). They also grow very fast by the way. smile

You can find a list of all PBF acronyms here:

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92442#Post92442

Last edited by Bill D.; 04/27/15 09:39 PM.

[Linked Image]
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: Joshua Flowers
Griff what Bill is referring to is Channel Catfish (CC), he has developed a put and take fishery on his CC. He harvest so many out every year and also restocks that amount. Your pond can produce only a certain amount of pounds of fish per acre.

As per you stocking: start building your forage--food chain--then add in your bass. Depending on your goals will determine what sizes and quickness you do this.

Look at the threads on forage and creating the food chain. Your imagination and willingness can led to an amazing fishery.

You could start stocking your forage now with the pool level you have. FHM, CNBG, and RE are good choices.

Thanks for clarifying. I looked for RE on the acronym list and couldn't find it. Did you mean RES?

I was recommended BG in another thread. Is BG a general term and CNBG a more specific recommendation or do you recommend CNBG instead of BG?

T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for helping out with clarification Joshua. Griff, the PB forum acronym for common carp is CGC (Common German Carp). They also grow very fast by the way. smile

You can find a list of all PBF acronyms here:

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92442#Post92442

Do CC require restocking or do they do a good job sustaining their own population? Since I'm looking for a survival pond (for an extended period of time perhaps) I would like a fish that doesn't need restocked.

Originally Posted By: The Griff
Do CC require restocking or do they do a good job sustaining their own population? Since I'm looking for a survival pond (for an extended period of time perhaps) I would like a fish that doesn't need restocked.

Well Griff, IMHO "It Depends." Given suitable spawning habitat, CC will probably spawn in a small pond. The problem could be getting recruitment. Recruitment means getting little fish to survive long enough to become big fish. With LMB and BG in the pond, survival of CC spawn is the big question mark. Maybe one of the pros will chime in that has a secret tip to improve survivability of the CC spawn they could offer.

Bill D.

[Linked Image]
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: The Griff

Well Griff, IMHO "It Depends." Given suitable spawning habitat, CC will probably spawn in a small pond. The problem could be getting recruitment. Recruitment means getting little fish to survive long enough to become big fish. With LMB and BG in the pond, survival of CC spawn is the big question mark. Maybe one of the pros will chime in that has a secret tip to improve survivability of the CC spawn they could offer.

Bill D.

From what I'm reading I think I'll leave CC out for now.

My dad and cousin are recommending grass carp for keeping vegetation tamed. Anyone have an opinion about this?

F
F
Only add Grass carp when needed. Much more preferable to get vegetation started that you want. Something will show up to fill the void, let it be what you choose/want. After that, add the grass carp, if and only if you need to. Don't ask me what vegetation you should have, others will have to guide you there.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 07:52 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails